MFGG Forums
I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - xCrystalStudiosx - 12-19-2019

(Take a shot everytime I say "palette"). I'm currently going to stop spriting for a bit to look for palettes but I've found nothing. What I mean by palettes, Is like, the full actual accurate palettes for SMB1, SMB2, SMB3 (Including SMAS, and Lost Levels too if they're differnt), SMW, Yoshi's Island. Or as close as you can ever get to accurate. I'm really tempting to just open OBS and open Snes9x or Mesen and just record me playing the game and exploring every single secret and later screenshot the colors and and put it into Aseprite. But I'm not sure if I should do it or not but I'm making sure before I do so, is there any accurate palette to the games mentioned? Now you may be asking: "Why don't you just use the palettes provided in the sprite rips?" True but also, many people get the palettes wrong, mess up colors or add in a color that isn't in the game, or other people come in and then finish the entire rips of the games. They can either use different palettes (depending on what they get the colors from, another sprite rip, an emulator, on the actual system, etc). I don't know what spriterip or palette to trust anymore, I look through MFGG, and Spriters Resource and a lot of times people mess up the palettes or other people use a different palette and finish a part of the sprite rips for the game. I don't know what to trust anymore, but is there just something that is trusted by many and used by many and is accurate to the games? Comment the link or link to the image of the palettes. Also, if this helps, I'm mainly targeting palettes that SNES9x and Mesen use. Like the stock colors for when you install it. If it doesn't exist then go for the actual games' palettes instead of what SNES9X and Mesen use. Just a side-note. -Thanks.
And I'll also include a poll so if there's nothing, like really there is nothing then you can choose the poll and the highest vote, I'll do it. (Also, if you don't know where to find the palettes, like truly don't know, then head over to the poll and vote. Smile)
Poll: https://www.strawpoll.me/19109382

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - Evan.F - 12-19-2019

I don't know what this is, so I cant decide

Edit: I get it now, One problem is there is no 100% accurate pallete for any of these, and the colour changes darasticaly all the time when it comes to Nes especially.

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - xCrystalStudiosx - 12-19-2019

(12-19-2019, 06:46 PM)Evan.F Wrote: I don't know what this is, so I cant decide

Edit: I get it now, One problem is there is no 100% accurate pallete for any of these, and the colour changes darasticaly all the time when it comes to Nes especially.

Well, is there a palette that is extremely trusted for both NES and SNES? (Maybe every single color that the system can use in (a) game(s))?

Opening the games and recording myself playing the games is gonna be hard cause I need to physically look at every pixel in the game and go to places like secrets or something (Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World is going to be actual torture).

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - Evan.F - 12-20-2019

(12-19-2019, 07:52 PM)xCrystalStudiosx Wrote:

Well, is there a palette that is extremely trusted for both NES and SNES? (Maybe every single color that the system can use in (a) game(s))?

Opening the games and recording myself playing the games is gonna be hard cause I need to physically look at every pixel in the game and go to places like secrets or something (Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World is going to be actual torture).
There are 2 trusted palettes for NES and the SNES actually has 2 palletes (a smaller one and a bigger one, these can be changed using the mode system). You could make the bigger one by multiplying these out (I done this with the mega drive pallet before),

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - xCrystalStudiosx - 12-20-2019

(12-20-2019, 03:28 AM)Evan.F Wrote:

There are 2 trusted palettes for NES and the SNES actually has 2 palletes (a smaller one and a bigger one, these can be changed using the mode system). You could make the bigger one by multiplying these out (I done this with the mega drive pallet before),

What are the palettes?

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - Evan.F - 12-20-2019

(12-20-2019, 10:44 AM)xCrystalStudiosx Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 03:28 AM)Evan.F Wrote:

What are the palettes?

They are not exactly the same depending on the one used on NES. There's the darker versions used for stuff like SJB's SMB rips (comes from a certain NES emulator, not sure which one) and the brighter versions used on Google image search results and Mari0 (I don't know where this is from).
Mariofan made a poll on Which on is the real palette, seen and the discussion can be seen here

If we are talking about the SNES palette, I recommend looking at Retro Game Mechanics Explained's videos on the SNES. He goes into the processes going on under inside the SNES and in one of them (I believe it's the mode 1-6 one he explains in features of the SNES in depth. One of these is that certain modes use the small palette, an selection of colours from the bigger , while others can use the big one, which uses all the colours. I believe SMW uses the small one.

Hope this helps!

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - xCrystalStudiosx - 12-26-2019

The link you sent for the NES one doesn't exist anymore. :I

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - Evan.F - 12-26-2019

It existed when I put this up

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - Mariofan230 - 12-26-2019

Will this work?
https://forums.mfgg.net/showthread.php?tid=1770

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - xCrystalStudiosx - 01-01-2020

Whats this, mariofan?

If palettes can't be found, how about uhmmm, a full sprite rip, like a folder full of the games' sprites made by the same person with no tampered palettes? (Link?, and games I need are still SMB1, SMB2, SMB3 (Including SMAS, and Lost Levels too if they're different), SMW, Yoshi's Island.) This is really frustrating trying to keep a good accurate sprite and not something mixed and messed up.

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - Evan.F - 01-01-2020

(01-01-2020, 02:33 AM)xCrystalStudiosx Wrote: Whats this, mariofan?

If palettes can't be found, how about uhmmm, a full sprite rip, like a folder full of the games' sprites made by the same person with no tampered palettes? (Link?, and games I need are still SMB1, SMB2, SMB3 (Including SMAS, and Lost Levels too if they're different), SMW, Yoshi's Island.) This is really frustrating trying to keep a good accurate sprite and not something mixed and messed up.

There is no accurate pallettes for any NES game, the bright one was popular and still shows up on google image searches. nowadays the darker one is more commonly used.

as for super nintendo, making the big pallete is possible by using a specific multiple (Which I will refer to as an increase) for every shade. To help, put each colour into a square with red value increses going right and green value increases going down. After each square is completed, add a blue increas. The smaller pallette is made of these colours but I don’t know which.

Good look finding the specific colours!
P.S. I used the increase method to make the megadrive/genesis pallete before. For that one you increase it by 64.

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - xCrystalStudiosx - 01-02-2020

But is there a full sprite rip of the said games like a folder or something?

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - Evan.F - 01-03-2020

I’m not 100% sure... but I think could be for them

Also all smb1 sprites on TSR are ripped by SuperJustinBros, and used the darker pallette.

Also I researched what the accurate nes colours are and the palletes are based on emulators and whether your using composit or RGB output, brighter palletes resemble RGB, darker resemble composit. There are also loads of other versions that all differ slightly.

Basically, whatever one you feel is accurate.

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - xCrystalStudiosx - 01-03-2020

Do you suggest I should open OBS and start recording?

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - Evan.F - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 09:59 AM)xCrystalStudiosx Wrote: Do you suggest I should open OBS and start recording?

Whatever floats your boat

RE: I need some help with finding palettes for my game. - Evan.F - 01-13-2020

Found the colour multiples for SNES/GBA on the spriting board of VG reasorce, seen here

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.