MFGG Forums
The Project in the Works! - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Project in the Works! (/showthread.php?tid=2215)

Pages: 1 2

The Project in the Works! - SonicZetrex - 01-08-2020

Heyo, everyone! It's been very, very long since I came by to say "Hi" to the galaxy! But, I didn't come back without something I wanted to reveal as a surprise for this new year! Starting at this month, the animation project I've been working on is going into full fruition with the adventure of my characters, Angel Ugo and Sphinx towards the mysterious island! Big Grin

And here's the one that I have right here as the first start!
[Image: oe3KyWH.gif]

There will be bits of bits being added, just to show many details that may enlighten the storyline. :3

And if you would like to support this, this would be highly appreciated and might attempt to do something in return (with hopes of not being asked this much)! With many backgrounds, additions, and many more beyond to take on, I hope that not only to achieve a fun impact, but a story that can be remembered and appreciated of how the story goes on.

~SonicZetrex

RE: The Project in the Works! - Evil Yoshi Toes - 01-08-2020

This is looking very pretty. Your animations are a pleasure to look at. I’ll be looking forward to seeing more. I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

RE: The Project in the Works! - Dyseminate - 01-22-2020

Good luck with this project. You seem quite talented with pixel animation just judging from that GIF. I always love it when people combine the aesthetic of a certain console (in this case, the Game Boy) with fluid animations, it adds a lot of flare to the visual design.

RE: The Project in the Works! - SonicZetrex - 12-17-2021

Heyo! The update for the "greatest adventure" has finally arrived! After long hiatus of preserving and thinking critically how they can help the project, I'm officially ready to set out to continue where I left off! But what better place to start than the beginning that started it all...

...in an adventure that will be known to be an "exciting journey"!

[Image: m4xxpWj.gif]
(Remake for Stage 1: Journey Begins)

RE: The Project in the Works! - SonicZetrex - 05-29-2022

Remember when I said this project is for "animation" only?

...Well Surprise, Surprise!

As some of you may have found out, the project is now shifting its direction into a game!

Regarding the reason behind this shift, I realized that continuing an animation like this would be proven "less effective" later on.
I've already set out every idea and mechanic I could think of that fits the standards of a classic Game Boy. Despite in favor of limitations, the game will remain faithful to how the Game Boy operates in a similar style like any other.
For now, I can only show just a small peak of what the game could look like! :3

[Image: 6711gKD.gif]

I would love to reveal every detail, but it's not the best time...yet.

From where I'm standing now, I'll be sure to give any updates possible that would be something more as my first start!

RE: The Project in the Works! - E-Man - 05-30-2022

Oh? You're also a programmer?

RE: The Project in the Works! - SonicZetrex - 05-30-2022

(05-30-2022, 02:47 PM)E-Man Wrote: Oh? You're also a programmer?

Surprise, surprise! I still am! :3

RE: The Project in the Works! - DJ Coco - 05-31-2022

I just wanted to drop by to say that I really like how your game looks so far.
I'm a huge sucker for that GameBoy aesthetic. I will have to make another GameBoy-inspired game myself one day, but it's hard to find the time for that.

RE: The Project in the Works! - SonicZetrex - 06-13-2022

Alright! My first step of update is finally here! There isn't much now, but much more will be revealed along the way!

[Image: ezgif-com-gif-maker-29.gif]

RE: The Project in the Works! - VinnyVideo - 06-13-2022

You might want to check the URL - I'm just seeing an "imgbb.com - image not found" picture.

RE: The Project in the Works! - SonicZetrex - 06-14-2022

(06-13-2022, 06:56 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: You might want to check the URL - I'm just seeing an "imgbb.com - image not found" picture.

There, I think I got it fixed above.

You should be able to see it now.

RE: The Project in the Works! - VinnyVideo - 06-14-2022

The image is working now.

Lookin' good man! I'm definitely looking forward to playing this.

RE: The Project in the Works! - Q-Nova - 06-15-2022

Wow, the animations are really great! Fluid animations and retro-style aesthetics seem like such a fantastic combo!

RE: The Project in the Works! - SonicZetrex - 08-31-2022

Alright! The wait for another progress is finally over!! Laughing

In this one, I've officially set up a demo for you to try and see what you think of it! It's still a bit rough in patches, but I hope it's enough to make it as an introductory!

...and wanted to make it a "demo-like" approach. :3

Link: Adventure in a Mysterious Island Demo!
(EDIT: Included "Window Size" to manipulate and other fixes along with it )

Few screenshots:
[Image: demo-1.png]
[Image: demo-3.png]
[Image: demo-2.png]

RE: The Project in the Works! - VinnyVideo - 09-01-2022

Sweet - I was really looking forward to checking this out!

Could you add a way to increase the window size? If you're running this on a high-resolution display, the game window is extremely small.

RE: The Project in the Works! - SonicZetrex - 09-01-2022

(09-01-2022, 08:18 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: Sweet - I was really looking forward to checking this out!

Could you add a way to increase the window size? If you're running this on a high-resolution display, the game window is extremely small.

Sure thing!

I've already updated the link!

RE: The Project in the Works! - VinnyVideo - 09-02-2022

Thanks! Being able to expand the window to 3x helps a lot, though I wouldn't mind having a 4x or 5x option.

I love the animations! The player's animations are very fluid, and the expressions on the boss's face are great.

I would consider tweaking the camera so that it's not always centered on the player. When the player is moving to the right, I'd prefer the player to be on the left side of the view. Currently, you get very little space to react to an enemy as it comes into the view.

I like the halo mechanic - it's cute! I'd think about slightly extending its range, though.

The boss was very tough - I was only able to reduce its HP to around 80%. If you're planning to make this the boss of World 1, I'd recommend reducing its HP - maybe make it so that each hit reduces its HP by 20%.

Finally, three really small nitpicks:
  • On the title screen, "SONICZETRX" might be missing a letter...
  • You'll want to set the window caption to something more exciting
  • I'm not sure why the Game Over screen goes to fullscreen when nothing else in the game is fullscreen

RE: The Project in the Works! - SonicZetrex - 09-03-2022

@VinnyVideo Heyo! Thank you very much for your feedback! I'm glad you like the animations, and the mechanic that makes this much as a unique experience. Laughing

(09-02-2022, 02:38 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: I would consider tweaking the camera so that it's not always centered on the player. When the player is moving to the right, I'd prefer the player to be on the left side of the view. Currently, you get very little space to react to an enemy as it comes into the view.

The boss was very tough - I was only able to reduce its HP to around 80%. If you're planning to make this the boss of World 1, I'd recommend reducing its HP - maybe make it so that each hit reduces its HP by 20%.

For the camera, I'll happily reduce the space that will make the player remain on the left side. At least...close enough, but enough time for the player to react what is coming up ahead.

As for the boss itself, I'll gladly reduce its health so that can make it more possible to beat it. It is supposed to be tough, but will still do it regardless. :3

Along with other points you've mentioned...
(09-02-2022, 02:38 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote:
  • On the title screen, "SONICZETRX" might be missing a letter...
  • You'll want to set the window caption to something more exciting
  • I'm not sure why the Game Over screen goes to fullscreen when nothing else in the game is fullscreen

Right now, I'm already tackling the situation that oddly up-scaled the Game Over screen. Among with bugs you might never have encountered and some touches I'm adding in that could make this demo as complete as possible.

For the title screen, I purposely abbreviate it to fit the context on having it stylistically centered. Smile

And...I'm very glad you pointed out the Window Caption!
I'll make sure to fix that along the way since this is my first time officially publishing in this engine. Whoops!

RE: The Project in the Works! - SonicZetrex - 09-06-2022

Updated the demo above!

RE: The Project in the Works! - SonicZetrex - 01-01-2023

It's been  a while, but at long last...

The project had been released!!!
(soniczetrex.itch.io/adventure-in-a-mysterious-island)

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.