MFGG Forums
WIP PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: WIP PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) (/showthread.php?tid=2217)

PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - Thunder Dragon - 01-09-2020

"That Psychic Spork Game."

Major thanks to DJ Yoshiman for putting this trailer together (and for the awesome music!)
~~~
So... this thing.  It sure is a thing. (watch the video!)  Featuring numerous impractical uses of a mind-controlled spork, air jumps, bizarre power-ups, and an expansive story which can be completely turned off if you so desire (gotta love no-context sporking!) this is what I've been up to making these past five years or so (more if you count the early prototypes which eventually morphed into... whatever the heck this is supposed to be).  As of right now, the game is nearly half-way complete, and I am hoping to have it done either late this year or early next year.  I'd like to have a public demo out some time before then, but in the mean time there are still some things I'd like to have sorted first.  And yes, I would like to do a Nintendo Switch release some day -- I am looking into the options of making that happen, but as of right now, that's a ways off and therefore I cannot confirm anything just yet.
~~~

In the mean time, if you're interested in following development updates, please follow us on Twitter!
@Psycutlery
DJ Yoshiman and I will be posting updates there quite frequently.

If any of you could help share this with anyone interested, I would greatly appreciate it and/or love you forever.  I am learning that it's difficult to get your indie game exposure, so every little bit of help this thing can get means the world to me.  Thank you! Love

[Image: egg.png]

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - Mors - 01-10-2020

Well, this game looks pretty fantastic! I'm loving the music, I'm loving the environments and I'm most definitely loving the little bits of gameplay I'm seeing here.

That being said, there are some MAJOR issues with the graphics and presentation here. I showed this trailer to a few people and they all instantly dismissed it due to... a few things.

Well, first of all, the character design is just... awkward? I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done this late into development, but yeah it's just weird how the main character is this nerdy looking girl wearing a skin-tight suit. I mean if weird was what you guys were aiming for then I think it hits the nail on the head, and it's not really straight up ugly as a design. It's just that... you know... it's not very appealing I suppose. I'm not really an expert on character design myself, so I can't really give you any tips to make her look better. But as I said a friend of mine's immediate reaction was: "the protag and character design is the main thing making me not want to play this game"

And yeah I agree with him, if I didn't know about you and your previous work I would also get turned off by that main character. So I'd suggest you to maybe try to garner some feedback and improve her design.

The other problem I have is with those full body dialogue drawings. For the horse guy and the cat thing I think they are good looking, but for the main character? Yeaaah... I dunno what makes them look so off with her, I guess it's the weird proportions? Like I dunno it just looks weirdly amateurish, and it's by far the worst thing about the game imo. Maybe you guys should look into commissioning someone to do those drawings, I dunno. I also think the main character's walk cycle looks a bit awkward, but I guess that's not as noticeable as the other issues.

And I guess that's all the feedback I can give. Overall I think the game looks great and a ton of fun, but considering people I showed it to got immediately turned off by those issues with the presentation (character design and portraits) imo something has to be done.

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - Thunderbro - 01-10-2020

I'm excited to play this, but aside from what Mors has already mentioned, there is one thing that really bothered me. A lot of the sound effects the game used in the trailer seemed to lack impact, and seem like something that would be in a puzzle game or cheap mobile title rather than an action platformer title such as this one. I'm certainly no expert in game design, but I feel like trying to find or create sound effects that have a little more... I don't know, character or impact to them, would really help. Its probably not something people often think about, but I think sound effects really help the overall feel of the game. The current ones just seem like they cheapen the experience a little bit.

All of that aside though, the game itself looks like its going to be a lot of fun, I can't wait to play it when it does release, I just hope for it to be the best game it can be.

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - VinnyVideo - 01-10-2020

This is very high on the list of things I'm looking forward to playing!

I think the graphics and characters are appealing enough - and the spork is an ingenious weapon to build a game around. However, it's hard for me to give meaningful feedback on the character because she looks a LOT like someone I knew - and shares the same name! (She's cool.)

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - Nutshell - 01-11-2020

I never clicked on a thread so fast. The love and effort put in this game is magic. Graphics, sound and gameplay are really appealing, I can't wait to play this!

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - DJ Yoshiman - 01-11-2020

(01-10-2020, 01:51 AM)Thunderbro Wrote: I'm excited to play this, but aside from what Mors has already mentioned, there is one thing that really bothered me. A lot of the sound effects the game used in the trailer seemed to lack impact, and seem like something that would be in a puzzle game or cheap mobile title rather than an action platformer title such as this one. I'm certainly no expert in game design, but I feel like trying to find or create sound effects that have a little more... I don't know, character or impact to them, would really help. Its probably not something people often think about, but I think sound effects really help the overall feel of the game. The current ones just seem like they cheapen the experience a little bit.

All of that aside though, the game itself looks like its going to be a lot of fun, I can't wait to play it when it does release, I just hope for it to be the best game it can be.
That's actually due to the music in the trailer having a lot of bass to it, that overpowers the bass in the sound effects. The music that plays during the level isn't normally this intense. Trust me (especially since I didn't even do the sound effects), these sound effects pack a punch to them when necessary, I was blown away by that when I played the builds!

If anything, that might be on me to equalize the music track with the video audio track better.

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - Thunder Dragon - 02-03-2020

So, I sought some feedback on the portraits and such, and what I intend to do based on said feedback is to switch over to a more "pixel art" style that better fits the overall look of this whole thing.  The good thing about this is that the new style I'm playing with allows for easier edits, allowing me to better address some of the more awkward aspects of the character design.  Do not expect any significant changes to it by any means, but I at least promise whatever comes out of this won't look nearly as out of place. Wink

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - Razz - 02-22-2020

Hey man, I've been following this project for a long time. Happy to see it finally coming together. Transitioning from fangame to indie game development is a big deal and I hope you find success.

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - Evan.F - 02-22-2020

I might as well say that an all bosses video on Toad Strikes Back got me into the idea of fangames, along with when I found out about SMBX. This game is something I am really looking forward to, just maybe fix-up some of the character designs.

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - Q-Nova - 04-19-2021

Soveryhappy Soveryhappy Soveryhappy NEW DEMO ALERT! Soveryhappy Soveryhappy Soveryhappy

Soveryhappy Soveryhappy Soveryhappy NEW DEMO ALERT! Soveryhappy Soveryhappy Soveryhappy

Hey, MFGGers! It looks like TD released a BRAND NEW DEMO of the game quite a while ago! I don't know if he'll post it here so I'll post a link to the itch.io (don't worry, there isn't any poison ivy or anything that will make you itch and scream "OH!") page since I'm sure a lot of you would LOVE to get your hands on a portion of this game!

https://eyesineverything.itch.io/psycutlery

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - Q-Nova - 11-27-2023

It spent several months in the dark, but as recently confirmed by @Thunder Dragon, Psycutlery is back from the dead, and will be coming out early next year! Soveryhappy There's also a Discord server for the game.

https://twitter.com/LukeTarlowe/status/1725865128220819883#m

I'm so happy to see that things are going very nicely! Up until that announcement, I was worried that the game got quietly abandoned! I wish TD good luck on the game; hopefully it manages to do well! Smile

Also, to those who tried out the demo I linked to in the last post, what do you think about it? I'm curious about people's thoughts on it, and whether it's any good (I'll admit, I haven't tried out the demo yet).

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - Q-Nova - 01-15-2024

PSYCUTLERY IS FINISHED!!! And it's free! You only need to pay zero dollars!

@Thunder Dragon @DJ Yoshiman Congratulations on the release! I might actually have to play this someday! Other Big Brin

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - DJ Yoshiman - 02-11-2024

(01-15-2024, 06:30 PM)Q-Nova Wrote: PSYCUTLERY IS FINISHED!!! And it's free! You only need to pay zero dollars!

@Thunder Dragon @DJ Yoshiman Congratulations on the release! I might actually have to play this someday! Other Big Brin
You absolutely should, it's very fun, and a good number of people have been telling Luke they've been enjoying it! 

Some one should update the wiki article. I would, but it appears I've lost my password to that login, so I can't do a damn thing to it.

RE: PSYCUTLERY (or: Psycho Waluigi 2: Toad Strikes Back 3) - VinnyVideo - 02-12-2024

I still need to finish playing this thing! It looks like lotsa fun.

@DJ Yoshiman Whoa, a wild Yoshiman appeared! Shoot me a PM and I can use my latent Wiki powers to reset your password.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.