MFGG Forums
I have a game related confession that you probably won't like - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: I have a game related confession that you probably won't like (/showthread.php?tid=2270)

I have a game related confession that you probably won't like - Parakarry - 02-27-2020

I've mentioned this on a few threads before, but I dunno if I've ever talked about this in its own thread, and I felt like sharing it because I was reminded of it and was thinking about it...

...I don't really care for Earthbound.

Wait, what?

I'm serious.

I was reminded of this just now. Joel from Vinesauce is playing some SNES games with a widescreen hack, and he starts playing Earthbound, a game I know he likes. But all I am reminded of when I see him play it is that I just... can't get into it. 

I'm a big fan of RPGs, and I've gotten into many of them, but for whatever reason, with regards to Earthbound... I just can't get hooked. There's something about it that... just hasn't drawn me into it like plenty of other RPGs.
Throughout some years, I've attempted three playthroughs of Earthbound on an emulator (which is fairly neccesary it seems, as this game goes for hundreds of dollars on ebay and such) but every time, I don't get far.
There's the intro with the bee, then you have to go to the first town and find the Giant Step to find one of eight songs. But I've never even found the Giant Step.
I've tried to think of why I'm not into this game. For one thing, the battle music. I'm very used to battle music  being cool and catchy, but music that plays in Earthbound, I think might be some of the least engaging battle music I've ever heard. And I get that the game is supposed to be weird, but the enemies are just TOO weird. Plus, everywhere to try to go, there's these gang people who are too strong that beat you all the time.
Between that, and getting lost, and the general atmosphere of the game being so different from all the Final Fantasy games I'm so used to, I'm not drawn to this game or engaged at it like any other RPG.

And this is one of the most lauded RPGs ever, people consider it one of the best SNES games. But I don't see that. I just find it annoying, and I have sort of a weird grudge about it. I've tried playing it. I may try again at some point. But it seems that I'm one of the very few people who would say something so scandalous as to think Earthbound isn't very good.

However, consider that I've played Undertale, and really like that game, and Undertale supposedly has a lot of Earthbound inspiration, so there is that to think about... (though Undertale has way better music, too...)

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

RE: I have a game related confession that you probably won't like - Roo - 02-27-2020

It's not a crime to not like a video game. I'm sure we all have at least one highly-regarded game that we just don't jive with.

RE: I have a game related confession that you probably won't like - Vert - 02-27-2020

It's a pretty experimental game so no surprise.

Personally, I like experimental games and am willing to put up flaws up to the extent that they don't completely break my enjoyment of the game. Not everyone has the same threshold though.

RE: I have a game related confession that you probably won't like - GeneralGuy - 02-27-2020

You're going to hell for this, Parakarry. HellBound

Yeah, I completely understand. There are some games which people simply can't enjoy even if they wanted to. It could be the atmosphere, art direction, music, gameplay, unfamiliar characters or settings, etc. I think the solution to this issue is expect a different experience while analyzing the aspects or attributes of the game that are favorable and comparable to games that you enjoy.

RE: I have a game related confession that you probably won't like - VinnyVideo - 02-29-2020

I first played EarthBound in late 2008, and I found it to be an enjoyable experience. I liked the idea of a JRPG set in the modern world (if circa-1995 still counts as modern!), and I found the characters, enemies, and the general "vibe" to be endearing. This game has definitely had some influence on my own RPG projects.

However, EB is a cult classic, and that also means not everyone is going to adore it. The quirky vibe isn't everyone's cup of tea, and the gameplay has a number of flaws. EB's popularity has increased over the years, but in its day it was a pretty obscure game - it's not even among the top 50 best-selling Super NES games (even if this might have more to do with marketing than gameplay).

RE: I have a game related confession that you probably won't like - Evan.F - 02-29-2020

(02-29-2020, 10:38 AM)VinnyVideo Wrote: I first played EarthBound in late 2008, and I found it to be an enjoyable experience. I liked the idea of a JRPG set in the modern world (if circa-1995 still counts as modern!), and I found the characters, enemies, and the general "vibe" to be endearing. This game has definitely had some influence on my own RPG projects.

However, EB is a cult classic, and that also means not everyone is going to adore it. The quirky vibe isn't everyone's cup of tea, and the gameplay has a number of flaws. EB's popularity has increased over the years, but in its day it was a pretty obscure game - it's not even among the top 50 best-selling Super NES games (even if this might have more to do with marketing than gameplay).

Just remember, this game stinks   Laughing

RE: I have a game related confession that you probably won't like - Zae Eildus - 03-02-2020

Ah, same tbh, then I generally don't like the mother series as a whole aside from mother 3 which honestly won't return too. The mother series might have a cult, but rpgs are very diversive and subjective, more then other genres I find, so not too big of a deal.

RE: I have a game related confession that you probably won't like - Wah Did You Say - 07-01-2020

People hate me for hating fortnite, and people like me for hating fortnite, but in the end it's just on how you like your games, and not how people love other games that they want you to love it as much as they do, or at least have a form of tolerance to the game. I kinda like Earth Bound, but I don't go around talking about it because I find it a little weird too. I don't have it nor like it. But in the end it's how us, the players like the game and we're also not forced to play it. I really like RPGs tho.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.