MFGG Forums
DONE Ability to like Main Site submissions (Now in Main site!) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Resolved Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: DONE Ability to like Main Site submissions (Now in Main site!) (/showthread.php?tid=2306)

Ability to like Main Site submissions (Now in Main site!) - Mariofan230 - 03-22-2020

With the ability of liking comments, It made me think of an idea that is to do the same with sprite sheets and etc. In the Main Site you can see that lately submissions have been receiving about 1-3 compliments (WITHOUT criticism) from users. It makes me wonder how much more will the post be supported, especially if someone doesn't have anything to say about it.

Oh, and don't forget that there is an empty space here.
[Image: ddt0n9m-1c61d9d4-c85d-4c57-847c-bf3ba9bb...HUVqMw2jjo]

RE: Ability to like/favorite/1-UP/Thumbs up Main Site submissions - Hyper - 03-22-2020

I have thought about something like that. But it would take a very long time to get it right since adding a category is difficult. I might start doing it but I can't guarantee results.

RE: Ability to like/favorite/1-UP/Thumbs up Main Site submissions - GeneralGuy - 03-22-2020

Would be nice

RE: Ability to like/favorite/1-UP/Thumbs up Main Site submissions - Mors - 03-23-2020

I tried adding the ability to rate games without reviewing a while ago, but failed because cus my approach was weird and I wasn't as familiar with the main site software. I might attempt that again in the future, and it would probably be a lot more simplified than what the reviews currently have, like a 5-star system or something.

Never actually thought about adding something like that for other submissions though, maybe that would be a good idea? Or maybe it would be an overkill and a simple like system would work better for them? I'm not sure, feedback on that would be nice.

RE: Ability to like/favorite/1-UP/Thumbs up Main Site submissions - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-23-2020

For non-game submissions I don't think a rating system is practical because people won't spend as much time on them and it just sounds kind of awkward to me to rate a sprite sheet of Mario or something in that way. A like system sounds like it would work really well though. I really like the idea of a rating system on games because there are so many games that have no score because nobody could afford the time to write a whole review for them.

RE: Ability to like/favorite/1-UP/Thumbs up Main Site submissions - HylianDev - 03-24-2020

im not sure how the comment liking ability was programmed, but heres my assumptions & suggestion:

ill assume that a table was created: `comment_likes` which contains `user_id` and `comment_id`. if this is the case, you could create a second table, `resource_likes` and give it `user_id` and `resource_id` (or in keeping with TCSMS tradition, `uid` and `rid`)

the better solution is: a table called `likes` with `user_id`, `content_type` and `content_id`. then probably another table called `likes_content_types` or similar with `id` and a description ("Resources", "Comments", etc). then lets say `likes_content_types` has a row `ID: 3, description: "Resources"`. then when youre on a sprite sheet with then ID `123`, youll get likes from `likes` where it has `content_type` 3 and `content_id` 123

there are other things in the TCSMS database that work like this (for instance, resources is a table with all resource types, then there are tables that hold type-specific meta info for sprites, games, etc) so it should fit in without breaking any conventions, if you name the columns accordingly

RE: Ability to like Main Site submissions (Now in Main site!) - Mariofan230 - 07-17-2020

Nice to see this feature made it to the main site! Just noticed this.
[Image: de1is8v-c2b85bdb-5a22-4518-be6f-c9346d65...RWhIr3CJBQ]

RE: Ability to like Main Site submissions (Now in Main site!) - Hyper - 07-17-2020

Yes. I just added that. It may looked very simple but it took me a week to do something like that since I have to implement a whole new SQL table, run couple of new function plus ending up rewriting tons of new functions so "My Favorites" would end up like like the rest of the submission pages. Otherwise, all of these are built from the ground up.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.