MFGG Forums
How's COVID-19 treating you? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: How's COVID-19 treating you? (/showthread.php?tid=2311)

Pages: 1 2 3

How's COVID-19 treating you? - VinnyVideo - 03-29-2020

How's life in this brave new world of coronavirus?

Here in Florida, pretty much everything has shut down, except for places that sell basic necessities. I'm now working from home every day. This saves me about an hour and a half on commuting every workday, which is nice. It's given me a lot more free time to work on game projects and other personal backlog items. On the other hand, I miss seeing actual living human beings besides my own family.

I hope y'all are staying safe and well.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-29-2020

Im doing ok Vinny, I'm glad you are too. My college closed down which means I'm missing out on a lot of things I was supposed to have at the end of my last semester including a graduation and a show. We went away for break and then got messaged during break that we had a week to get all our belongings off campus, so I drove up and back with my dad in a day to get everything and had no time to say bye to all my friends. That stinks but at least I can still connect with them online.

I also feel like I'm going a little crazy. My dad likes to play music really loud throughout the whole house and he comes into my room a lot to get things so I feel like I have no personal space and like no place in the house is ever quiet which are two thing that drive me nuts haha. The only time I ever leave the house now is on walks with my family so I'm always with them. But it's fine. It could be much worse. I'm just glad my family is safe and healthy even if I want to get the hell away from them at this point haha. But that's normal. I hope everyone else is doing ok.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - GeneralGuy - 03-29-2020

I'm doing perfectly fine. Life is no different for me.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - DustinVG - 03-30-2020

I’m basically doing what I usually do. Would be nice if I could go to a store or get a haircut, though.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - allisonperryart - 03-30-2020

I'm asthmatic in Los Angeles and I've got... a lot of feelings. A lot of businesses are operating in a limited capacity (i.e. take-out only, etc.), and there's noticeably less people outside (less traffic, etc.), but IMO there's still an upsetting number of people that still don't seem to be taking this as seriously as they should yet (especially in such a densely populated area).

Before we got the formal work from home order on 3/13, we were flaccidly advised to basically "be careful" while increasingly not having the means to do so (soap/hand sanitizer was running low, dense office layout, etc.). People were getting worried and wanted to work from home, but no one really felt comfortable doing so without a formal allowance (especially in this industry where that sort of ask can be seen as a "poor culture fit" that eventually leads to your layoff). I think between people putting pressure on HR and other teams/studios switching to work-from-home, eventually our team had its hand forced - I say this because it seemed like they were unprepared when the announcement was made. Literally hours before we went home, they were trying to figure out what hardware/software people needed despite having ample time. Luckily the transition was pretty painless - most of us have ample experience working remotely and there's functionally not much difference between us working on-site or at home... which makes the fact they were dragging their heels on it all the more frustrating.

Outside of work, I'm anxious that no matter how vigilant I am (frequent hand-washing, taking temperature twice/day, cleaning/disinfecting 1-2 times/day, not going outside, letting my boyfriend handle any outdoor essentials, gloves/mask/separate outdoor clothes anytime anyone leaves the house, disinfecting mail/groceries, frequent laundry), I have no influence over what happens on a company/state/federal/global level and have a significantly higher chance of dying if things are mishandled. I took on some pretty mindless freelance work and play a lot of video games on the weekends to keep my mind off of things, but it can get overwhelming at times and I feel depressed/exhausted/unmotivated/antisocial despite having two extra hours from what would be my daily commute - it doesn't help being cooped up in a tiny apartment with poor natural light.

As much as that sucks, I'm angry for the people that have it worse - people who lost their jobs (and health insurance), older people, more immunocompromised people, grossly underpaid and poorly-treated grocery/food/service-industry workers, impoverished people, homeless/housing-insecure people, undocumented immigrants, etc. There's so much injustice for seemingly no reason - worker protections could be more robust but they're not, healthcare could be universal but it's not, housing could be a basic human right but it's not, we could put people over profit but we don't, we could be working together towards a solution globally but we're not (Cuba already has a treatment they're willing to share with us, but we won't import it because of the embargo). This pandemic is worsened by an intersection of economic/political/social injustices that're just making everything exponentially worse than it needs to be.

All that being said, I'm genuinely trying to look on the bright side - I'm grateful to have a roof over my head, I'm grateful to have pretty robust health insurance, I'm grateful I still have my job (and it pays very well), I'm grateful to be in a union, I'm grateful I've saved quite a bit, I'm grateful I have a boyfriend who understands I can't go outside and helps me out, I'm grateful my friends/family are supportive and patient with me. The light at the end of the tunnel for me is the hope that when all this is over, we'll be more radicalized than ever to put people over profits and we can make major changes for the betterment of people, not companies/stockholders/etc.

So yeah, like I said - a lot of feelings.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Vert - 03-30-2020

I was looking for a job right before s*** went down, so not much has changed. I get out less now though. Haven't seen my family or friends in ages but I guess I'm grateful that I'm healthy.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-30-2020

It's awful that some people are just not being careful at all. Apparently a lot of young people were visiting Miami beach for "corona parties" and their reasoning was that they probably wouldn't die because they're not old and their immune systems are fine. So stupid. It isn't all about you, it's about stopping the spread too so people who are likely to die or suffer severely don't get it.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - GeneralGuy - 03-30-2020

(03-30-2020, 04:43 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: It's awful that some people are just not being careful at all. Apparently a lot of young people were visiting Miami beach for "corona parties" and their reasoning was that they probably wouldn't die because they're not old and their immune systems are fine. So stupid. It isn't all about you, it's about stopping the spread too so people who are likely to die or suffer severely don't get it.
Retards like that will be the first to go.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Evan.F - 03-30-2020

each entire day feels like it's the exact same time, all day every day, and they go on forever. Tired
It's like a month long sick day afternoon.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Clobbah - 03-30-2020

I'm doing fine right now, but what I'm kind of upset about is the fact that I don't know what we'll do for graduation, if we do anything at all. I'm also worried about if I'll actually get to visit the college I applied to since I'm sure the pandemic will still be ongoing.

The virus itself has honesty made me question if I even want to live in the United States anymore. It's bringing to light a lot of problems regarding our healthcare system and related issues (don't get me started on our leadership  Laughing ). Honestly I think I should jut move to Canada, there aren't too many differences from what I've seen and honestly I'd love to live my life without the fear of some idiot starting a fight with a foreign country and sending people out to die for his cause.

Honestly hope this gets better by summer.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Hyper - 03-31-2020

At the moment, my area (Dallas Fort Worth metropolitan area) has over 1200 cases and it's growing faster and faster everyday. Besides having running nose and watery eyes, I feel fine so far. To clarify, March to May is typically my allergy season.

I am already employed at the time when the first COVID-19 case was confirmed in Frisco TX (not far from where I live). After a week the number of cases exploded around here. My employer initially wanted to put all of us home while getting paid. However, due to high demands on network infrastructure supplies and support from online customers and medical businesses. We were called back to work but with limited number of employees. Due to my new position as an inventory manager, I ended up having an authorization slip from my company that I am an expendable essential employee. All of the commonly touched areas like door knobs are cleaned every 20 minutes. We are required to wash our hands every hour and all of us are keeping a distance. On the bright side, at least my commute is more pleasant with far lighter traffic.

As for life situations, fortunately I am equipped with N95 masks (gave some to my roommate), hand sanitizer, and disinfect wipes. Most of these are given from my company before the pandemic. Besides work, groceries, running high priority errands, I avoid going out. When I do go out to a public place, I keep a good distance from everyone and protect myself with a face mask.

Admittedly, I did had several episodes of panic since I've been through the worst part of SARS in China back in 2003. I guess the traumatic experiences might've heightened that since I am calm most of the time. My roommate helped me to stop panicking and think rationally. Even when I'm in panic mode, I wouldn't even buy all bunch of toilet papers. However, I did ran out of toilet paper my roommate and I bought in 2019. Fortunately I picked the right time and bought a pack of 6 toilet paper rolls last Saturday. That'll last for at least 6 months or so.

Although I avoid political discussions but here are my thoughts:
The US health care system is the worst health care system in the world. I had bad experiences with them over something they didn't do couple of years ago. Although I have health insurance, I still have to pay some amounts of money just to get tested for COVID-19. However, some part of the US is free but I can't be certain with that. If you ended up in a hospital and recovered from the virus. Good luck paying couple of thousand dollars for treatment costs if you have insurance (without insurance, I won't be surprised if the bill is more than your annual salary). So basically, income privileged people are more accessible to better treatment. No wonder why Walter White started to cook meth to pay his cancer treatments. America would be far better with a health care system like Canada's.

Also, as for Chinese government. They have really done for themselves this time. When the virus was first discovered, doctors in China tried to give out warnings to the people but the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) silenced any whistleblowers and deny the disease. After they "contained"** the virus, they started to paint themselves as the hero who defeated the virus and blame other countries for introducing the virus. In addition, they take advantage of the situation to collect informations from other countries to fuel their propaganda. Once this is over, the CCP is responsible for all of the damages around the world.

**a lot of people in China spread the words that the number of COVID-19 cases in China are too low to be true. Most people (including several of my friends in China) believe the numbers could be millions. The CCP wanted to make the false sense of security that the disease is contained but they're still deep in the woods.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Parakarry - 04-05-2020

For about four years at least, I've worked as a part time dishwasher at a regional chain of grocery stores. As such, I'm one of the only ones who are conisidered "essential" as I'm in  a food industry, technically. I live around what's known as the Michiana area, right between Michican and Indiana. Stay at home orders were put in, and there's noticably less traffic if you drive around, but I'm pretty much the same as normal because of my job. The only places I go now are to the grocery store for work, and sometimes to load on snacks, as well as the gas station to get those cappuccinos I love to drink.
So what counts as as my routine is prettyt much the same, but just way watered down. Most of the day I'm on my Switch either watching youtube or playing the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon remake. Really good btw! I've put wel over 100 hours into that.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Elsian - 04-05-2020

Conveniently enough, I just so happen to work in an Emergency Room were we got the first reported case of the damn thing in our area. We had to shift a lot of stuff outside to limit the potential exposure inside the hospital, including not allowing visitors except in special circumstances. I pretty much keep a mask and protective eye wear on me at all times since I'm at high risk of being exposed.

Good thing I already practiced social distancing before it became the norm, though.  Cool

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - LycanSeijin - 04-06-2020

The only real effect it's had on me is that I can't go lift at the gym. I can feel myself turning into mush. I haven't been able to find toilet paper either and I don't know how much longer my supply will last. Disagree

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Neo Hyper Yoshi - 04-08-2020

At the time of writing, Ireland has had over 6000 confirmed cases and 230+ deaths. We've gone into lockdown with most places except for essential stores closed and people told to stay at home. We also have social distancing in affect and for the most part, people have observed them. Also, given we in the middle of 2 countries who have mismanaged / are mismanaging the crisis, our government is handling the crisis extremely well in comparison, with our Prime Minister ( referred to as Taoiseach but I don't think most of you can pronounce that! ) even reregistering as a doctor and doing some work once a week to help ( granted, probably nowhere near frontline but still, it's a good gesture. ) Even giving those who lost their jobs owing to the Crisis a weekly payment to tide them over.

As for myself, I'm one of the lucky people in the fact I'm still working, granted it's from home at the moment. I work in a call center for the main telecoms provider in Ireland and as such, we're regarded as essential. It's been crazy busy but it's been making the days fly by. I'm not going to lie I'm a small bit resentful of those who've lost their jobs and are getting the special Covid payment but those poor people are probably going mad with boredom with all the restrictions in place. I do miss some of the people in the office though so it was really nice to hear some voices when we did some brief meetings over google hangout today.

Outside of work, I've just been mindless browsing stuff on the computer, playing video games and watching streams so not much has changed in that regard. People like me who spend most of their time keeping to themselves and playing video games haven't been to adversely affected to be honest.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Evan.F - 04-08-2020

(04-08-2020, 05:51 PM)Neo Hyper Yoshi Wrote: At the time of writing, Ireland has had over 6000 confirmed cases and 230+ deaths. We've gone into lockdown with most places except for essential stores closed and people told to stay at home. We also have social distancing in affect and for the most part, people have observed them. Also, given we in the middle of 2 countries who have mismanaged / are mismanaging the crisis, our government is handling the crisis extremely well in comparison, with our Prime Minister ( referred to as Taoiseach but I don't think most of you can pronounce that! ) even reregistering as a doctor and doing some work once a week to help ( granted, probably nowhere near frontline but still, it's a good gesture. ) Even giving those who lost their jobs owing to the Crisis a weekly payment to tide them over.

As for myself, I'm one of the lucky people in the fact I'm still working, granted it's from home at the moment. I work in a call center for the main telecoms provider in Ireland and as such, we're regarded as essential. It's been crazy busy but it's been making the days fly by. I'm not going to lie I'm a small bit resentful of those who've lost their jobs and are getting the special Covid payment but those poor people are probably going mad with boredom with all the restrictions in place. I do miss some of the people in the office though so it was really nice to hear some voices when we did some brief meetings over google hangout today.

Outside of work, I've just been mindless browsing stuff on the computer, playing video games and watching streams so not much has changed in that regard. People like me who spend most of their time keeping to themselves and playing video games haven't been to adversely affected to be honest.

Ah another Irish person  Cool
I can say that this is quite accurate. The self isolating stuff started with all educational and childcare facilities closing when there were around 3 cases (if I can remember) It feel it was right to start the self isolating thing before Covid-19 became an issue.

I have to say it's at the very least given me more time to make my Mari0 mappack. Along with messing around with Blender slightly (I cant do anything with it. It was also a good time to play 2 games I wanted to try for quite a while (Iconoclasts and Celeste).

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - allisonperryart - 04-08-2020

(04-08-2020, 05:51 PM)Neo Hyper Yoshi Wrote: the special Covid payment
American here - is this a livable and/or repeating payment? Asking because they've done next to nothing for unemployed people here in the states. The one-time lump-sum stimulus check they're cutting for everyone is basically pennies for people living in majors cities (the check is $1.2k and my rent+student loan payments alone are over $3k/mo) - grateful to still have my job because I have no idea what I'd be doing without it...

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - sooshy - 04-09-2020

It's been fine, but a little bit stressful. I haven't had much to do besides schoolwork, but I'm on break for this week. Luckily Animal Crossing gives me something to do, and my family's doing pretty much fine.

I'm just waiting it out. I should really use this time to start working on a (fan?)game or something, but with that I'm not sure where to start.

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Evan.F - 04-09-2020

(04-09-2020, 01:25 PM)sooshy Wrote: It's been fine, but a little bit stressful. I haven't had much to do besides schoolwork, but I'm on break for this week. Luckily Animal Crossing gives me something to do, and my family's doing pretty much fine.

I'm just waiting it out. I should really use this time to start working on a (fan?)game or something, but with that I'm not sure where to start.
Well they say to start small, and there's nothing smaller then planck length

RE: How's COVID-19 treating you? - Neo Hyper Yoshi - 04-13-2020

(04-08-2020, 06:29 PM)allisonperryart Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 05:51 PM)Neo Hyper Yoshi Wrote: the special Covid payment
American here - is this a livable and/or repeating payment? Asking because they've done next to nothing for unemployed people here in the states. The one-time lump-sum stimulus check they're cutting for everyone is basically pennies for people living in majors cities (the check is $1.2k and my rent+student loan payments alone are over $3k/mo) - grateful to still have my job because I have no idea what I'd be doing without it...

Yeah it basically is. It's for people who ( hopefully temporarily ) lost their jobs because of all the closures coming from the crisis, totaling 350 Euro a week for basically the duration of the crisis. The government is also subsidizing payments for business up to 80% of their wage ( to a certain extent of course. )

However, both these schemes were set up in a hurry as a response to the crisis so that are some issues with it.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.