MFGG Forums
DEMO Super Mario Maker - World 2 - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: DEMO Super Mario Maker - World 2 (/showthread.php?tid=2312)

Super Mario Maker - World 2 - GeneSu730 - 03-29-2020

Hello! I built my own Super Mario Maker on my PC using Direct X. It wasn't easy and took a lot of time.

I managed to complete more of the Mario algorithm. I have now fully encoded Caped Mario's flight algorithm. Mario's cape will open to catch air when he reaches maximum flight altitude. This is the correct behavior from Super Mario World. In this world, I tried to experiment with both X and Y scrolling. I also tried to model the special Monty Mole enemy.

I felt as though the moving conveyer belt was not used enough in most Super Mario games (except for Super Mario Bros 2, which was NOT a Super Mario game). This stage features the conveyer belt.
I also have side areas that feature Mini Mario and flying Caped Mario. I am debating whether I should keep Mini Mario. There are all sorts of complications because he occupies half the width of Small Mario. On the other hand, there are so many potential side areas that could feature Mini Mario.

I decided to experiment with bi-directional pipe transports and make a maze stage. On a whim, I decided to use a night environment.

I made a stage featuring Super Mario World's staple monster - the Charging Chuck. You know, the big hulking turtle with the football helmet that made you think of the big a-hole who picked on you in elementary school. I made 4 variants of this Koopa:
1. Tackling Chuck - Will just run at you.
2. Football Chuck - Kicks footballs at you.
3. Baseball Chuck - Throws baseballs at you. This variant significantly differs from the one in SMW. He throws baseballs at longer intervals (3 seconds). If a baseball hits a wall, it will bounce off (like Snifit's bullets in SMB2 / Doki Doki Panic).
4. Leaping Chuck - Jumps at you. Also different from the SMW species, which only jump vertically in the air.
I made 2 big changes to Charging Chuck. Here, if he catches a Koopa shell, he will throw it right back at you. Also, if you swipe your cape at him, he will catch it and rip it off (I am contemplating of whether this is a good idea.)

I made a stage featuring boiling tar and Ice Mario. Ice Mario can freeze enemies into Ice Blocks, which can be used to kill enemies. Iceballs can also be used to freeze tar into stone blocks
I also made another bonus area with more moving platforms. It looks like the footprint collision mechanic is a little buggy... Wonder how I will fix it.

There were a few levels in Super Mario Bros 3 where the challenge was finding the exit from the level. In Super Mario World, that challenge was restricted to the Ghost House (which it should not have been, and yes, I plan on making a few Haunted House levels of my own). Well, here we have a very large underground area where it might be tricky to find your way out of. It has 6 side areas but I only showed 2 of them in this video.

More action with everyone' favorite Dino Dragon. But the real star of this video is Lakitu. You really didn't think I would forget Lakitu either, did you? You can also ride his cloud. Finally, the end of this video shows Mario getting infinite one-ups from having a lot of Spinies get knocked off by a Koopa shell.

Super Mario is, of course, a trademark of Nintendo. I got these Mario, Luigi, and enemy sprites from someone named AwesomeZack. I got the foreground tiles from TetraVega. I got the background tiles and other enemy sprites from jdaster64. I got other background tiles from CrapCom.

Windy Forest - GeneSu730 - 04-20-2020

Of all the 2D Super Mario platformers, I don't think there was any attempts to model wind except maybe in one measly stage of The Lost Levels. That's a real shame because, just as with conveyor belts, wind would have added an extra challenge to them game. It doesn't have to be in a "cliffs" level. Why can't it be in a "regular" level? Here, we have wind with falling leaves. The wind can push the leaves, Mario, and inert Koopa shells. See the middle portion for a side area with flying. I also encoded some more essential features of the Mario framework.

In my game, I encoded the mid way goal tape and end-of-stage goal tape that came from Super Mario World. They work nearly the same way. The only thing I couldn't encode was a gamma ramping routine that would fade out the screen to black. I am making this game with an old version of DirectDraw. Any routine I created either slowed my frame rate to 25 frames per second or had really crappy video quality. Hopefully, I will be able to encode other features of the Super Mario framework during this time of Corona viruses and quarantine.

RE: Super Mario Maker - World 2 - GeneSu730 - 04-20-2020

Please ignore the above video. It has crappy video and sound quality. I thought my computer, which I bought in 2014, wouldn't have this problem. But I was playing this game along with doing some work and had a lot of apps open. That's the last time I will do that. Here is a new video with acceptable quality:

I also encoded some more essential features of the Mario framework. In my game, I encoded the mid way goal tape and end-of-stage goal tape that came from Super Mario World. They worked nearly the same way. The only thing I couldn't encode was a gamma ramping routine that would fade out the screen to black. I am making this game with an old version of DirectDraw. Any routine I created either slowed my frame rate to 25 frames per second or had really crappy video quality. Hopefully, I will be able to encode other features of the Super Mario framework during this time of Corona viruses and quarantine.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.