MFGG Forums
PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle (/showthread.php?tid=232)

Pages: 1 2

PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - PAC-BANZAI - 12-11-2017

It's very dangerous!

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/7iynxv/psa_fangame_sonic_gather_battle_has_a_malicious/?ref_source=embed&ref=share
https://mobile.twitter.com/CapperTSU/status/940036838164537344
https://mobile.twitter.com/BlueParax/status/940028578854342657

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - Evil Yoshi Toes - 12-11-2017

Is this a creepypasta?

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - PAC-BANZAI - 12-11-2017

(12-11-2017, 10:26 AM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: Is this a creepypasta?
No, it's actually real and is very bad.

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - Action Lemon - 12-11-2017

What does it do to computers?

(12-11-2017, 11:22 AM)Auction Lemon Wrote: What does it do to computers?
I put links and a video for a reason....

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - VinnyVideo - 12-11-2017

I haven't actually played it (and I don't recommend doing so), but apparently the game contains some very questionable software. Even though it's a freeware fangame, the game contains some draconian DRM that borders on malware.

(12-11-2017, 01:01 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: I haven't actually played it (and I don't recommend doing so), but apparently the game contains some very questionable software. Even though it's a freeware fangame, the game contains some draconian DRM that borders on malware.
I added some twitter posts to the OP so you can get a basic run down of what happens. To put it likely, it ain't good. Disagree
[Image: DQuugpJUEAMaqws?format=jpg]

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - Evil Yoshi Toes - 12-11-2017

I did a little more looking into it and yeah, it's pretty weird. It's bad enough that the developer is stalking your searches out of some paranoid fear that someone might steal his precious Sonic the hedgehog sprites, but trying to traumatize cheaters and sprite rippers with those nightmarish visuals is very unnecessary and makes me question his mental stability. Couldn't he have just had the game lock up and shut down? Or just not have done anything at all because it is a fan game so who cares?

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - FieryExplosion - 12-12-2017

Truly, this is a bizarre situation. It's copy protection taken to places no sane being should ever go. Nothing is worth this level of privacy invasion. Whoever did this SERIOUSLY needs to get a harsh reality check.

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - PAC-BANZAI - 12-13-2017

(12-12-2017, 11:36 PM)FieryExplosion Wrote: Truly, this is a bizarre situation. It's copy protection taken to places no sane being should ever go. Nothing is worth this level of privacy invasion. Whoever did this SERIOUSLY needs to get a harsh reality check.

"B-BUT MAH SPRITS!"

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - fireball3k - 12-19-2017

excuse my bad words, but holy s***. this is the stuff of nightmares.

is anyone gonna complain if i use this as the basis for a story?

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - DustinVG - 12-19-2017

(12-19-2017, 01:01 AM)fireball3k Wrote: excuse my bad words, but holy s***. this is the stuff of nightmares.

is anyone gonna complain if i use this as the basis for a story?

the creator, maybe

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - fireball3k - 12-19-2017

then i'll be sure to put drm on my story so that he can't read it

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - Turly Gang - 12-23-2017

Sonic Gather Battle? More like...more like Sonic Forces battle to...Gather...your...personal information, AMIRIGHT?

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - Snessy the duck - 12-24-2017

And I thought Denuvo DRM was bad! This is downright ransomware! I seriously hope the creator realizes this is an awful idea and removes it.

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - OssieTheOstrich - 02-12-2018

(12-23-2017, 06:44 PM)Soopakoopa Wrote: Sonic Gather Battle? More like...more like Sonic Forces battle to...Gather...your...personal information, AMIRIGHT?
Failed joke 0.5/10

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - Vitiman - 02-12-2018

Please don't bump threads unless you have something to contribute to the discussion with.

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - OssieTheOstrich - 02-13-2018

This is waaaaaaaay worse then Sonic Mania's DRM situation.

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - Arkenova - 02-13-2018

I knew of this for sometime. The news spread all over the Sonic community like wildfire and imo, I'm glad the guy got banned from SAGE because this is direct illegal territory,  all because he was afraid that someone was gonna be 'stealing his sprites' and whatnot. What an idiot.

Pity, this could had been an awesome fangame but nope.

Another thing, the 'second-level protection'? I find it oddly funny because not of the creepypasta levels but it basically means 'Welcome to Die' material to the player.

RE: PSA: Do NOT download Sonic Gather Battle - Jaden1291 the Toad - 02-15-2018

Really, a fangame programmer goes too far.. to the point he put RANSOMWARE in his own fangame? No offense, but holy question block-ians - that was a very ridiculous move in the world of fangaming, just because he doesn't want anyone to steal "his own" sprites. His own sprites? Nah. They were just taken from other people and official Sonic games.

I've heard about this issue when YouTube recommended me a video regarding Sonic Gather Battle. I didn't watch it, but many weeks later I starting thinking about the issue so I searched it up on Reddit. Through that search, I also found out about its creepypasta behavior. Thank goodness I was notified about the issue so I didn't have the urge to download it.

Shame that a great fangame is ruined with malicious DRM just to prevent the so-called "stealing from the fangame creator himself". I believe this issue won't carry over to MFGG's community because there might be a Submission Rule saying that no malware should be embedded in fangames, I think.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.