MFGG Forums
Unused Content in Fangames - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Unused Content in Fangames (/showthread.php?tid=2339)

Unused Content in Fangames - OssieTheOstrich - 04-20-2020

Considering that most video games have content that would eventually reach The Cutting Room Floor, I've always wondered what unused content lies in fangames, whether it be unused sprites, audio, mechanics, etc.

For example: In Paper Mario: the Well-Crafted Journey there are unused sprites for Bowser which show him crying.

Do any of y'all have any unused content in your fangames?

RE: Unused Content in Fangames - Mariotroid - 04-20-2020

I think I didnt use somethings that i forgot about. I cant tell exactly what but there were somethings. My game isnt done yet though so I cant really say I wont use them. This is a common bug though and unused content happens in most of my games. Even minigames.

RE: Unused Content in Fangames - SuperSledgeBro - 04-20-2020

I have published this fangame to MFGG a while ago. It's a very small minigame so I don't have a lot to tell!
Early on I thought about letting the player choose between playing with the mouse or the keyboard, but I decided it was harder to play with the keyboard. I was also going to have Bullet Bills in the game, and they would come at a fast speed so you'd have to be quick to get them. I replaced those for the Ninji which does the same.

RE: Unused Content in Fangames - Evan.F - 04-20-2020

I haven't brought this up before, but SM16 has an early version called Super Mari0 started in late 2018. This version had only one layer of parallax for BG and Foreground with no concern for how things fit together, no custom enemies and more. Level design was also worse. World 1 was the only one to have any work done on it, however I made single screen sections for each world

World 1 - Similar to SM16 in World 1, forest is more traditional as opposed to the coastal forest.
World 2 - Mountain based "Rexon Falls", rex's were going to have both friendly and hostile varients. I have a drawing of this version
World 3 - same desert theme, uses SMW styled tall hills instead of the flat SMB2 style hills
World 4 - This was where world 6 was going to go, one of the nicer looking backgrounds
World 5 - Forest (had no ideas for this one)
World 6 - No ideas for this one too
World 7 and world 8 use similar themes to SM16.

SM16 itself was also going to have the owl enemies from Mario Land 2, but were removed as I had problems with collision.

RE: Unused Content in Fangames - VinnyVideo - 04-20-2020

A couple of my games include unfinished levels.

Cheerwine Deluxe 3 has a few things, including a chase level...

Marioy 2 was originally supposed to have 32 levels, like the original SMB. However, only 28 levels were finished. One level had an Albatoss theme - it was pretty cool, and maybe I should finish it someday. (It is literally at the bottom of my to-do list, though!)

RE: Unused Content in Fangames - Langton - 04-21-2020

I can go on and on about unused concepts for Dimensions 1. How there was going to be a level where you couldn't jump. How Polter was originally pink, nameless, and was only created after the dimension gimmick was programmed. How there were going to be exclusive powerups for the two dimensions that you could only keep within them (the Laser Flower and Jetpack were going to be alternate dimension-exclusive). How each of the Worlds were originally going to be Zones like in Super Mario Land 2, which is why in the final game you can do them in different orders.

Dimensions 2 has also changed a lot in its unforgivably-long development cycle, so I'll definitely share more details of its development one day.

I just remembered some old boss concepts. World 2's was going to be a Boom Boom/Koopaling-like character named "Bully Koopa", World 3's was going to be a swordfish, World 4's was going to be a giant sea/sealion, and World 5 was going to feature a giant Chain Chomp chase in an abandoned headquarters.

RE: Unused Content in Fangames - smbmaster99 - 04-21-2020

Super Mario Bros Odyssey Chapter 1 was originally going to be a much larger fangame that basically retold super mario bros 1-3 and then had a more original "4th chapter" with Wario and Waluigi, as well as Wart. SMBO Ch.1's .exe still contains some of the old sprites and code for the missing chapters, one of which is this little joke:
[Image: ItXr8YS.png]
Morshu would have made a cameo appearance as a shopkeeper in one specific store only. Another element that remains in SMBO's .exe from my original vision for the game is a "super" attack animation for fire mario:
[Image: yDzp5nQ.png]

Originally i was going to include a "build up" mechanic for some of the bros' powerups, whereupon maxing it out could release a much more powerful version of that powerup.

RE: Unused Content in Fangames - DiggingJam - 04-22-2020

In my Fangame Super Toad Bros. X Theres an unused character and its Rosalina. If you go to the editor you will see an test level. Go cilck on the test ;level and then cilck on test settings and cilck Peach. There.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.