MFGG Forums
Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? (POLL IS OVER) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? (POLL IS OVER) (/showthread.php?tid=2344)

Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? (POLL IS OVER) - OssieTheOstrich - 04-21-2020

So you know Super Mario Dimensions 2, right? That fangame made by @Langton which is a sequel to Super Mario Dimensions, which itself is a midquel taking place between Mario 3 and World?

Well, I honestly thought that the sprite for Mario in the game wasn't that good, so I made my own. Then @Vert made a version with an altered palette, then Hellfire did that, and then @Mors did too.

So now I'm thinking, which one is better? And what are your opinions?

[Image: unknown.png]

update: @Mors won (in terms of palette), see my post below for details.

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Vert - 04-21-2020

definitely vert's

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - OssieTheOstrich - 04-21-2020

(04-21-2020, 09:59 AM)Vert Wrote: definitely vert's

biased

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Vert - 04-21-2020

(04-21-2020, 10:00 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 09:59 AM)Vert Wrote: definitely vert's

biased

Well yeah, but I dunno. Shading looks better with some hue-shifting.

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 04-21-2020

Vert ir Mors but I like how he is standing in the original and his small feet

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Evan.F - 04-21-2020

(04-21-2020, 10:06 AM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: Vert ir Mors but I like how he is standing in the original and his small feet

I don't really like any of them. Mors probably

Tried editing Mors' one. Does it look good?
[Image: file.php?id=802]

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Evan.F - 04-21-2020

(04-21-2020, 02:17 PM)Evan.F Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 10:06 AM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: Vert ir Mors but I like how he is standing in the original and his small feet

I don't really like any of them. Mors probably

Tried editing Mors' one. Does it look good?
[Image: file.php?id=802]

made more
[Image: file.php?id=804]

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 04-21-2020

I prefer the shape of the original better honestly with the bowling pin silhouette and small feet. If the original were just cleaned up more and recolored it would be a very cool and unique Mario sprite.

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - SuperSledgeBro - 04-22-2020

Hellfire's! I like the colors in it! And the SMW body makes sense if the game takes place between SMB3 and SMW.

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Mariofan230 - 04-22-2020

I'll go with Mors!

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Yakibomb - 04-23-2020

I like qualities from all the sprites, so I can't give a definite "yes" to any.

If I had to choose, Vert's looks best, aside from Mario's saturated red color. If I could change that color to something that "pops" more, I'd be all in.

(then again, what color scheme / theme do these colors work best to accomplish? Do the palettes fit or not? Just asking never played Dimension 2 Smile )

EDIT: also, Vert's palette choice for the eyes makes him look like  Blank .

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Vert - 04-24-2020

(04-23-2020, 07:43 AM)Yakibomb Wrote: If I had to choose, Vert's looks best, aside from Mario's saturated red color. If I could change that color to something that "pops" more, I'd be all in.

You mean desaturated? Because the red I used is more green/less bright than the others.

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Yakibomb - 04-24-2020

(04-24-2020, 11:16 AM)Vert Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 07:43 AM)Yakibomb Wrote: If I had to choose, Vert's looks best, aside from Mario's saturated red color. If I could change that color to something that "pops" more, I'd be all in.

You mean desaturated? Because the red I used is more green/less bright than the others.

I meant desaturated, sorry. Used the wrong term.

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Mariotroid - 04-24-2020

Mors or Ostritch. I dont like the last ones color for Mario's face.

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - OssieTheOstrich - 07-09-2020

So now that the Mario has been chosen, I guess the poll is over?

The one that chosen is Mors's (in terms of palette), by the way. However, since I presented the idea of redesigning Mario's sprites for the game, and since Langton's busy, he figured he'd let me help him redo (or "fix") the rest of the sprites.

Some of the newer sprites are now in-game, as seen here.SMW Mario
[Image: newsprites.gif]

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Chadook - 07-11-2020

I voted Mors'.

RE: Which sprite of Mario from Super Mario Dimensions 2 is better? - Zae Eildus - 07-18-2020

Mors is just a nice blend for me the others are fine but i feel the shading/colors on mors is pretty nice to me and probably pop out just as well.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.