MFGG Forums
I never realized you could do this in SMW - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: I never realized you could do this in SMW (/showthread.php?tid=2364)

I never realized you could do this in SMW - VinnyVideo - 05-02-2020

In Super Mario World, if you're riding Yoshi and you press Y (or X), Yoshi sticks out his tongue low to the ground (see the screenshot on the left).

[Image: YoshiTongueFun.png]

However, if you press Y while holding Up on the Control Pad, Yoshi sticks out his tongue higher (see the screenshot on the right).

I first played Super Mario World when I was a tiny tot, but until this week, I wasn't aware you could do this. I have a friend who told me about this. She seemed to think this was common knowledge, but it's not in the manual and isn't mentioned in any of the guides I could find.

This could be one of those "everyone else knows this except me" moments, but either way, I'm surprised I never realized this!

RE: I never realized you could do this in SMW - Yoshin - 05-02-2020

Yeah I always figured it was common knowledge, it comes in handy a lot.

RE: I never realized you could do this in SMW - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-02-2020

I had no idea you could do that either. Now I know!

RE: I never realized you could do this in SMW - SuperSledgeBro - 05-02-2020

I already knew that! It's funny when you find new things on a game you've played dozens of times. Big Grin

I myself discovered by chance that you can "kill" Iggy's balls by sliding on them. (Though this is certainly an oversight, since their sprites become glitched when you do that)

There's another little thing which most people are still unaware of: did you know that the Big Boos will peek at you if you stare at them for a half minute? I almost jumped when I saw that. Huh? (video proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXiIYVEA6UI)

RE: I never realized you could do this in SMW - DiggingJam - 05-02-2020

I knew that a long time ago

RE: I never realized you could do this in SMW - Yakibomb - 05-03-2020

Yes! It's one of those quirks the game doesn't tell you about. I have a few:

- Holding the D-pad down and pressing A in water makes Mario not accelerate upward as fast as if you didn't or were holding up.
- While a P-Balloon, pressing the D-pad right-left-right will make Mario SUPER accelerate, even going so fast he goes through walls! (thereby being crushed by getting stuck...) I don't think this works in the other direction. (Found this out in Tubular by mistake!)
- Yoshi can "slide" upward while crouching (holding P-pad down) on an incline slope (and pressing left or right).

RE: I never realized you could do this in SMW - Evan.F - 05-03-2020

(05-03-2020, 06:58 AM)Yakibomb Wrote: Yes! It's one of those quirks the game doesn't tell you about. I have a few:

- Holding the D-pad down and pressing A in water makes Mario not accelerate upward as fast as if you didn't or were holding up.
- While a P-Balloon, pressing the D-pad right-left-right will make Mario SUPER accelerate, even going so fast he goes through walls! (thereby being crushed by getting stuck...) I don't think this works in the other direction. (Found this out in Tubular by mistake!)
- Yoshi can "slide" upward while crouching (holding P-pad down) on an incline slope (and pressing left or right).

Don't forget about sliding into big boo to kill him, or using a single platform only used in one level in order to rewrite the game's code in-game

RE: I never realized you could do this in SMW - SuperSledgeBro - 05-03-2020

(05-03-2020, 09:44 AM)Evan.F Wrote: or using a single platform only used in one level in order to rewrite the game's code in-game

Wait, what???

RE: I never realized you could do this in SMW - Evan.F - 05-03-2020

(05-03-2020, 11:44 AM)SuperSledgeBro Wrote:
(05-03-2020, 09:44 AM)Evan.F Wrote: or using a single platform only used in one level in order to rewrite the game's code in-game

Wait, what???

Oh, if you can make yoshi eat nothing and spit it out on the spinning platforms in Yoshi’s Island 3, you can rewrite parts of the games code. Most of the time it changes Mario’s power-up to a gliched power-up, but it can be used to wrong warp to the end screen in specific cases. Rewriting the game’s code can be done with power up 6 (achieved by doing this glitch 3 timeswith fire Mario) and 22, which writes it’s power codes in the Processer and the area X coords are stored, resulting in being able to rewrite code through specific instructions. Minecraft Youtuber Sethbling was able to insert the source-code for Flappy Bird into the game, making him the first person to do that. Previously this was done with a TAS, programing games like snake and breakout using assets from the bonus rooms, along with adding a smiley face to the end screen.

Correction: it was pong, not breakout

RE: I never realized you could do this in SMW - KrystalPhantasm - 05-03-2020

What treasure trove of useful SMW knowledge is this?

scribbles furiously into a clipboard

RE: I never realized you could do this in SMW - DustinVG - 05-06-2020

Didn't know about the Yoshi thing until you posted this thread.

SMW is full of little quirks and oddities. Some intentional, some not.

RE: I never realized you could do this in SMW - Evan.F - 05-06-2020

The one I did know about was that you swim faster up and down if you hold that direction

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.