MFGG Forums
My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 (/showthread.php?tid=2370)

Pages: 1 2

My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - GeneSu730 - 05-06-2020

Hello! I built my own Super Mario Maker on my PC using Direct X. It wasn't easy and took a lot of time.

I think I will make World 3 an Sea Shore world. In this stage, I have made quite a few modules during my time in quarantine. I now have animated backgrounds (as opposed to foregrounds), Blooper (why wasn't this cute squid in Super Mario World?), and frozen coins that can be defrosted by fireballs. I also have the Invincible Star and same-stage pipe networks. I tried to show as many Easter Eggs as I could.

I thought that this stage would be easy to make because I had coded the swimming algorithm 2 years ago. Boy, I couldn't have been more wrong. I had so many bugs with the addition of Yoshi and the ground platforms you can jump through. Every time I thought I had fixed everything, I found a new bug. I spent the last week just fixing bugs.

I plan on encoding a few more items for my Mario framework (such as slipping on ice and sinking in quicksand) before revamping my graphics and really designing my own Super Mario game. More updates coming!

Super Mario is, of course, a trademark of Nintendo.
I got these Mario, Luigi, and enemy sprites from someone named AwesomeZack.
I got the foreground tiles from TetraVega.
I got the background tiles and other enemy sprites from jdaster64.
I got other background tiles from CrapCom.

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - SuperSledgeBro - 05-07-2020

You've got quite a variety of features implemented. Good work!

Now, a question: Why do you call it "Super Mario Maker"? It doesn't look like Mario  Maker.

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - GeneSu730 - 05-07-2020

SuperSludgeBro
I did not create a ROM hack or something on the commercially sold Super Mario Maker. I created my own stage builder in Direct X and Visual C++. I think I have written 100,000 lines of code in the last 3.5 years. I did this for two reasons. First, I wanted to really learn what building a comprehensive game like Super Mario really involved. Second, I wanted to tweak the Super Mario framework.  Wind was not present in SMB3 or SMW. So you are not looking at a ROM hack.

P.S. What is the purpose of the coins in our profile? Why would I donate some? Why would I want some? How do I earn them?

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - Murphmario - 05-08-2020

(05-07-2020, 10:09 PM)GeneSu730 Wrote: SuperSludgeBro
I did not create a ROM hack or something on the commercially sold Super Mario Maker. I created my own stage builder in Direct X and Visual C++. I think I have written 100,000 lines of code in the last 3.5 years. I did this for two reasons. First, I wanted to really learn what building a comprehensive game like Super Mario really involved. Second, I wanted to tweak the Super Mario framework.  Wind was not present in SMB3 or SMW. So you are not looking at a ROM hack.

P.S. What is the purpose of the coins in our profile? Why would I donate some? Why would I want some? How do I earn them?
The Wind point is sorta mute, considering how advanced SMW hacking is.

Other than that, this project looks neat. It needs some refinements with the physics and music, and I wouldn't really call this a "Mario Maker" unless it has a level editor.

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - GeneSu730 - 05-09-2020

[Please view images below.]

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - SuperSledgeBro - 05-10-2020

Oh! You didn't even hint you were also making a level editor. But the images are broken for me! Huh?

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - GeneSu730 - 05-10-2020

SuperSludgeBros - You can't see them?

Nope. Try hosting them in Imgur and paste their links here.

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - Evan.F - 05-10-2020

I can't either

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - GeneSu730 - 05-10-2020

[Please view images below.]

It requires me to be registered to see it. Why don't you use Imgur like I suggested?

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - GeneSu730 - 05-11-2020

[Image: TEFCu8d.png]
Can you now see this?

[Image: y7k468c.png]

[Image: jvuP3mf.png]

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - Evan.F - 05-11-2020

Yes, and it looks great

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - KrystalPhantasm - 05-11-2020

Darn, I haven't seen robust editors in a quite long time! This looks wonderful.

Thank you for the compliments, Evan F. and Mawboi. I built this editor back in 2013/2014. The first game I built with it was Bubble Bobble.

P.S. Does anyone know what the coins are used for?

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - Evan.F - 05-11-2020

(05-11-2020, 10:32 AM)GeneSu730 Wrote: Thank you for the compliments, Evan F. and Mawboi. I built this editor back in 2013/2014. The first game I built with it was Bubble Bobble.

P.S. Does anyone know what the coins are used for?

Which coins?

The coins underneath our profile. I have 80 that I don't know how I got.

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - Hyper - 05-11-2020

(05-11-2020, 01:31 PM)GeneSu730 Wrote: The coins underneath our profile. I have 80 that I don't know how I got.
These coins are gained by posting replies and topics on the forums. Although we had a plan to use them for purchasing forum features but we scrapped the idea because MyBB have little to no information on plugins. They're just there for decorations.

Mors would be likely be the best candidate for making plugins but he's too busy.

Hypernova, Thank you!

RE: My Super Mario Maker - World 3 - GeneSu730 - 05-22-2020

Continuing my Sea Shore World, I have now encoded the Dolphin platform. I placed it in a stage with the water fall background ripped from Super Mario Bros 3 (16-bit version, of course). As a bonus, I have also created an underwater side area with tidal waves that could blow Mario left and right.

Enough with water and swimming. It's time to get to work on slippery ice. More updates coming!

As a bonus, here is another view of my Super Mario Maker. Here is the Foreground layer with option flags for stages.

[Image: 4diqcCU.png]

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.