MFGG Forums
COMPLETED Regular Toad Game - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: COMPLETED Regular Toad Game (/showthread.php?tid=2374)

Regular Toad Game - Hyper - 05-10-2020

This is a normal Toad game.

Screenshots:
[Image: RTG-01.png]
[Image: RTG-02.png]
[Image: RTG-03.png]
[Image: RTG-04.png]
[Image: RTG-05.png]

BETA version download (Google Drive)
Completed version download - Windows (MFGG Main Site)
Completed version download - Linux (.deb package)

Edit (May 19, 2020) - If the player's health reaches 0 in Act 2, there is a bug where the game softlock itself. If that ever happens unfortunately you have to reset the game by hitting [F2]. The best way to avoid getting caught in Act 2 is to hit all of the switch blocks available. For some of the blocks, you have to hit it repeatedly. I will not upload any update until the final beta release which is going to be around a week or two. The reason why is that I want to fix as many things as possible while collecting any issues at the same time. Admitally, I am kind of lazy to compile the game since I have to do a lot of work to adjust the debugging variables and preparing game files.

Edit (May 29, 2020) - I have finally finished the game. So I'm updating this post.

RE: Regular Toad Game - KrystalPhantasm - 05-11-2020

I found a small bug where the pause screen doesn't show the current area I'm in, but rather the area I first paused in.
Other than that, the game so far is kinda great Other Big Brin

RE: Regular Toad Game - Hyper - 05-11-2020

(05-11-2020, 03:36 AM)Mawboi Wrote: I found a small bug where the pause screen doesn't show the current area I'm in, but rather the area I first paused in.
Other than that, the game so far is kinda great Other Big Brin
That is extremely weird since I always clear the surfaces (graphics memory) when it is not in use.. Have you already tried to update the DirectX on your PC?

RE: Regular Toad Game - Dooki51 - 05-11-2020

Very detailed game, although it seems to have a few bugs. In act 2 I somehow softlocked the game after losing all my health. Toad was supposed to respawn in the beginning of the room but instead I was just stuck in the same location I was just in, unable to do anything.

RE: Regular Toad Game - mrpin355 - 05-13-2020

(05-11-2020, 09:53 PM)Dooki51 Wrote: Very detailed game, although it seems to have a few bugs. In act 2 I somehow softlocked the game after losing all my health. Toad was supposed to respawn in the beginning of the room but instead I was just stuck in the same location I was just in, unable to do anything.

Actually, you have to repeatedly hit the switch button as fast as you can.

If I were to argue about this, it gets a tad bit annoying to have to restart the game all over again, since I had to do that multiple times before finding out that I had to do that ESPECIALLY for people who is playing the game for the first time.

Maybe I have missed some instruction or hint from the game that can negate my point here.

EDIT: I realized you're talking about in general, so my point still stands, I feel like I wasted my time playing this, no offense.

RE: Regular Toad Game - Hyper - 05-13-2020

I have actually retested that section and founded a bug where the player is stuck in standing when their health reaches 0 in Act 2. Turns out I forget to program the death script after implementing the leaf power up. However that bug has been fixed last night.

I purposely programed the gray switch block to activate when the enemy is close enough to give the player a sense of panic and claustrophobia. Perhaps I should consider adding a message before that part to inform the player so they know what they're doing. And also, I reduced the damage taken from that particular enemy.

RE: Regular Toad Game - mrpin355 - 05-13-2020

(05-13-2020, 05:09 PM)Hypernova Wrote: I purposely programed the gray switch block to activate when the enemy is close enough to give the player a sense of panic and claustrophobia. Perhaps I should consider adding a message before that part to inform the player so they know what they're doing. And also, I reduced the damage taken from that particular enemy.
Haha that's clever, but I heavily rely on cues.

RE: Regular Toad Game - VinnyVideo - 05-16-2020

Could you upload the latest version? The Box download link is still the May 10 version.

RE: Regular Toad Game - Roo - 05-19-2020

That was way too emotional for a joke game.

I like it.

RE: Regular Toad Game - bearofsquares - 05-19-2020

i came in expecting something along the lines of a joke-y little game about a little fungus man judging by the screenshots alone, but what i got was a game that was not only fun to play but also took itself more seriously than expected with a strong plotline and some good humor sprinkled throughout. great job, nova!

RE: Regular Toad Game - Jarman - 05-21-2020

Regular Toad Game never felt like a joke game to me even with the art style, it adds to the uniqueness of it. Honestly, I feel like MFGG needs more games like RTG, it feels like it has enough Mario things to keep it grounded in the Mario universe like platforming based gameplay and Mario enemies/friendly characters/powerups/etc., but at the same time, when you get it from a different character's perspective and a different storyline than typical Mario games, then we don't know when this could take place like it could be in the past, present, future or even an alternative dimension. I just hope some of the bugs are ironed out, and some proper checkpoints, it sucks dying and then starting over at the beginning of the act (well it sucks more when a glitch occurs that forces you to quit and you gotta do the whole game all over), still I can't wait for the final chapter

RE: Regular Toad Game - Hyper - 05-24-2020

I'll leave this here. I expect it to be done by around a week or so.

RE: Regular Toad Game - Catonator - 05-28-2020

I really like the concept and ideas on display, I really don't like the checkpoints. There are times where dying can mean more than 15 minutes of lost progress, which isn't really good for a game where the narrative is the driving factor.

Otherwise I'm actually looking forward to playing through the finished game and seeing where it'll go. Good job!

RE: Regular Toad Game - Hyper - 05-29-2020

I have finished the game! Please check the 1st post for the updated download link. However I do want to give some heads up. Due to tight schedules, I've only polished the game play aspect of the game bit rushed through for its UI.

In the mean time, if you want to see the ending and you don't care about spoilers, here is the video:

RE: Regular Toad Game - Jarman - 05-31-2020

Finished the game. The ending was great (I feel the first phase is harder than the second one which is okay as you have to get through both without dying). I still feel that the checkpoints could be a bit more generous, and having to restart the whole game if you quit kinda sucks, but luckily the adventure isn't too long. Most of the glitches that I found in the previous version are gone so good job on patching them out. Honestly, RTG just has such a unique spin on Mario style platforming and a bit of the Mario universe, and it was such a change of pace from alot of other fangames.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.