MFGG Forums
A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! (/showthread.php?tid=2380)

A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - OssieTheOstrich - 05-14-2020

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - Evan.F - 05-14-2020

This came out of nowhere. Looks like they took what colour splash did right and improved upon it. all they need to do now is find a way to make battling fun (particularly bosses)

Also is it okay that the two Paper Mario games I played the most of is Sticker Star and Colour Splash and never played TTYD?

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - SuperSledgeBro - 05-14-2020

This looks gorgeous!! And the environments are so wide and open, it looks like the player will have more freedom to roam than they had in the other games. Big Grin

Oh, and it's funny how Paper Mario keeps looking more and more "handcraft". It's not just about flat sprites running on a low-polygon map anymore, now everything and everyone is made of paper cutouts and cardboard. The series' name has never been more appropriate!

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - floppingcheepcheep - 05-14-2020

bro, i didn't see that thread coming... the release date is right after my birthday, wow. and, to be honest, the game looks surprisingly good by my taste. well done, nintendo.

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - DiggingJam - 05-14-2020

I like it.

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - DustinVG - 05-14-2020

I don't know if I like what I'm seeing here.

Looks like an improvement over the previous two, to be sure, but I'm not certain that's enough for me.

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - Nutshell - 05-14-2020

This game looks very promising, seems fun to play and the envoirments are outstanding. Cool music as well, can't wait to see more of this game.

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - GeneralGuy - 05-14-2020

I was very surprised to see this on the front page of YouTube this morning. I'm not a fan of the white outline art style they've been using since Sticker Star, but this looks really good. I'm really excited for this and hope the original TTYD and 64 gameplay returns.

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - DiggingJam - 05-15-2020

I agree. I didn't know something like this would just pop up. July 17 isn't a bad date. Not so far away

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - Jarman - 05-21-2020

I'm just hoping this game has an RPG that where the battles actually matter instead of SS and CS where it was way too focused on finding the real-life object to defeat the boss. If I see a real-life object anywhere in this game, I'm probably not going to pick it up because those just kinda ruined the flow of the game for me.

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - Parakarry - 05-24-2020

Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good PLEASE BE GOOD

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - GeneralGuy - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 04:17 AM)Parakarry Wrote: Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good Please be good PLEASE BE GOOD
I hope so. It looks like a return to form with partners being back and a battle system that isn't centered around consumable items.

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-24-2020

I've said this elsewhere and re-watching the trailer now makes me feel the same way. It looks better than CS, but considering what we had decades before SS and CS was even much better than this it's hard for me to be excited by these tiny incremental improvements in each game. I'm not saying that the team should just abandon their new vision for paper mario to return to the old formula (i'm also not saying they shouldn't...), I just wish that, if they were insistent on sticking to this new formula and making it work, they'd also be willing to compromise with fans and take what worked from the old formula and put their own twist on it. The reluctance to do things like have unique NPCs, cool partners, and good story/character writing that doesn't make every NPC have the same "quirky" personality and that doesn't overly rely on paper puns is irritating to me. 

Really, if they added in partners and unique NPCs, added more depth to the stories in each chapter, and had leveling up and a cool battle system I could live with the paper-centric storylines and aesthetics and the Sticker Star/Color Splash style of writing. Right now the battle system looks super interesting, but if we don't also get leveling up of some sort then the gameplay will still be extremely flawed and what we've seen of the writing and chapters has not looked interesting enough to engage me on that level either.

I hope it's good, I'm just not getting my hopes up too high.

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - DustinVG - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 09:10 AM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: it's hard for me to be excited by these tiny incremental improvements in each game.
Yeah, that's basically how I feel, as well.

(05-24-2020, 09:10 AM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: I'm not saying that the team should just abandon their new vision for paper mario to return to the old formula
i am

RE: A new Paper Mario game is coming to the switch! - DiggingJam - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 09:10 AM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote:  it's hard for me to be excited by these tiny incremental improvements

I agree. I hope I can at least smile while playing the new game

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.