MFGG Forums
WIP Link: The Faces of Evil REMAKE - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: WIP Link: The Faces of Evil REMAKE (/showthread.php?tid=2441)

Link: The Faces of Evil REMAKE - Action Lemon - 06-16-2020

[Image: 320px-FoE_Logo.png?version=a37ff6cc40842...a254cfe78c]
It has been a while since I have been on the forums. But now that I am back, I am here to make a splash.
The old Zelda games on the CD-i have been games that I have wanted to play for a while now. However, due to the expense of buying the game and the CD-i and having a large chance that they both might be broken, as well as the game, in general, having poor mechanics; I thought it would be a cool idea to remake the whole game. With how much effort was put into the art and sound departments, I don't want them to be forgotten by irrelevancy. (Even if the directions they went with them were misguided.)
[Image: giphy.gif]
And with the help of Hello's Mario Engine for GameMaker, I plan on keeping everything from the original game in-tact with the exception of the controls and what else I deem to be a major flaw in the game. I also plan on making this remake moddable, so people can change the cutscenes, graphics, and sounds in order to make the game as weird as he or she would want.
If you want to help me finish this project in any way you can, feel free to PM me. Although, if you want me to see your messages more quickly, email me at auctionlemon@gmail.com.

RE: Link: The Faces of Evil REMAKE - SuperSledgeBro - 06-16-2020

This is the first time I see a Faces of Evil remake that actually gets my interest. Everytime I saw an attempt to recreate the game, they always tried to modify the game too much, and always changed what shouldn't have been changed. (Plus, none of those projects ever got completed) Looking at this GIF I can see you want to be loyal to the original but only give it small changes, like a smoother movement. I especially like how Link moves smoothly on the uneven terrain, whereas in the original he's always attached to a 4x4 grid.

I think I could help with this. I have made observations on the original game's engine before, and I noticed a few things that should definitely be in your remake as well:

-Link isn't supposed to jump this high. Some levels will break if he jumps this high.

-The ground enemies in the original have a smart AI. If Link is on the same ground as they are, they will immediately chase him.

-If Link drops from a platform, he should keep his "walking" sprite.

I don't know if I like the HUD too much. The numbers blend a lot with the background, and where is the hearts bar?

RE: Link: The Faces of Evil REMAKE - Action Lemon - 06-16-2020

(06-16-2020, 12:50 PM)SuperSledgeBro Wrote: This is the first time I see a Faces of Evil remake that actually gets my interest. Everytime I saw an attempt to recreate the game, they always tried to modify the game too much, and always changed what shouldn't have been changed. (Plus, none of those projects ever got completed) Looking at this GIF I can see you want to be loyal to the original but only give it small changes, like a smoother movement. I especially like how Link moves smoothly on the uneven terrain, whereas in the original he's always attached to a 4x4 grid.

I think I could help with this. I have made observations on the original game's engine before, and I noticed a few things that should definitely be in your remake as well:

-Link isn't supposed to jump this high. Some levels will break if he jumps this high.

-The ground enemies in the original have a smart AI. If Link is on the same ground as they are, they will immediately chase him.

-If Link drops from a platform, he should keep his "walking" sprite.

I don't know if I like the HUD too much. The numbers blend a lot with the background, and where is the hearts bar?

Thanks for the critiques! I didn't know that the game had more than one attempt at recreation. I only remember a little room demo from this forum way back, which seems to be gone now after doing some digging online. Also, I didn't know the AI worked like that. I only look at footage on Youtube as reference for this project. If you are serious about help making this little beauty come to life, send me a message! I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

RE: Link: The Faces of Evil REMAKE - GeneralGuy - 06-16-2020

Wow, this looks really cool! Soveryhappy I've always wanted to play The Legend of Zelda: Faces of Evil, Wand of Gamelon and Zelda's Adventure (along with a non-Zelda 2D platformer called The Apprentice) for the Phillips CD-i, but didn't want to shell out all that money just to play 4 games. Have you thought about making this remake playable on real console hardware such as the SNES?

RE: Link: The Faces of Evil REMAKE - Action Lemon - 06-17-2020

(06-16-2020, 06:40 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote: Wow, this looks really cool! Soveryhappy I've always wanted to play The Legend of Zelda: Faces of Evil, Wand of Gamelon and Zelda's Adventure (along with a non-Zelda 2D platformer called The Apprentice) for the Phillips CD-i, but didn't want to shell out all that money just to play 4 games. Have you thought about making this remake playable on real console hardware such as the SNES?

LOL no. I am just making this for windows. I don't know how it would even be possible to play on the SNES without compremising the art and music.

RE: Link: The Faces of Evil REMAKE - Pedigree - 06-17-2020

I really don't like that the graphics look like poor quality jpegs. I get maybe you wanna be accurate to the source material, but it's ugly as heck and that would be the one thing that I would expect to be improved in a remake.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.