MFGG Forums
Why is this place so barren? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Why is this place so barren? (/showthread.php?tid=2462)

Why is this place so barren? - Saltman - 07-01-2020

I'm sorry, but it's been the 3rd time I've visited this place after a while and, well... whenever I come back here it's always really empty. Like, only 0 to 2 posts per day and like 2 members besides me visiting it.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - Pedigree - 07-01-2020

The members have lives, bro.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - Saltman - 07-01-2020

Sure lol. Understandable.

But well I mean, there's very little people here and other forums with adults in them are more active idk.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - SilverVortex - 07-01-2020

listen pal if you want a more active mfgg environment join the discord
we never shut up in there it's paradise

RE: Why is this place so barren? - Saltman - 07-01-2020

Nice. I'll consider it.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - sooshy - 07-01-2020

the discord server has a ton of activity. forums are just kind of an outdated way to communicate

RE: Why is this place so barren? - SuperSledgeBro - 07-01-2020

It's such a shame...

RE: Why is this place so barren? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 07-01-2020

Yeah, come on over to the Discord! We talk a lot there about video games and... other things. We’ve greatly shifted toward the Discord format now since it’s what the kids prefer these days.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - warioCritic - 07-01-2020

join the discord server for only 19.99!

RE: Why is this place so barren? - VinnyVideo - 07-01-2020

Yeah, the forums have been pretty slow lately. It's sad to see forums don't get much love anymore - big chatrooms full of people I barely know have never been my thing. I'm probably veering dangerously close to hot take territory, but forums do a lot of things much better than Discord - like searchability, which is kind of important when you're a community that makes resources useful for game development.

The mainsite has seen a welcome boost in activity, though.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - Pedigree - 07-01-2020

Lol there is literally a search function in Discord.

Unless you're sharing a project thread these days, it's way simpler to do everything we used to do on the forums in discord. Plus you don't need to register a separate account to access it, there's voice chat, etc.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - The Dark Warrior - 07-02-2020

discord supplants all activity from the forums.

that's all you need to know for this one.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - VinnyVideo - 07-02-2020

I'm talking about Google searches - Google can't index a Discord conversation, after all. I've found so many useful resources over the years from Google searches that took me to message board topics (both here and on other communities).

I find the asynchronous nature of forums suits my life better. With Discord chatrooms, interesting conversations usually happen while I'm asleep or working, and it's awkward to revive a discussion once people have moved on to another conversation. With forums, if I miss something, I can reply a day or two later and I won't miss out on anything.

I like the goofy skins and customization options in forums. I don't like the modern Internet's trend toward walled gardens where everything looks the same.

I like that MFGG isn't selling my data to make Silicon Valley rich.

I just hope that MFGG won't completely abandon the people who prefer the forums over the Discord - I bet I'm not the only person who finds forums to be a more enjoyable environment.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - GeneralGuy - 07-02-2020

Yeah, it sucks. This place is really inactive and it seems destined to stay that way. I was tempted to post yesterday, but ultimately I didn't feel like it. The less active the forums are, the less active I am.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - Shadow Administrator Drei - 07-05-2020

(07-02-2020, 09:51 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote: Yeah, it sucks. This place is really inactive and it seems destined to stay that way. I was tempted to post yesterday, but ultimately I didn't feel like it. The less active the forums are, the less active I am.

Well, we know what to do then: close the forums down.

It's pretty easy to drive forum activity if you actually look towards engaging people. I think it's pretty clear expecting people to come to you isn't working.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - Pedigree - 07-05-2020

(07-02-2020, 04:00 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: I'm talking about Google searches - Google can't index a Discord conversation, after all. I've found so many useful resources over the years from Google searches that took me to message board topics (both here and on other communities).

I like that MFGG isn't selling my data to make Silicon Valley rich.

Google sells your data too, it's a huge part of how they make money. You can't have it both ways: reaping the benefits of being archived in Google searches while slamming Discord for selling your user data. You're either principled on this and support neither company or you really don't mind that a big data company sells your data and just prefer not to socialize on Discord.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - Yoshin - 07-06-2020

Discord serves a different purpose. People still use the forums but forums as a means for socialization SUCKS compared to a chatroom.

RE: Why is this place so barren? - CuteYoshiGirl - 07-08-2020

Sorry, I haven’t been posting.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.