MFGG Forums
what's your favorite old fan game? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: what's your favorite old fan game? (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Pages: 1 2

what's your favorite old fan game? - warioCritic - 07-01-2020

I wanna ask this question because I love old fangames very much! now I wonder why I use clickteam fusion...

anyway ima just answer my own question, my fav old fan game is super mario pandemonium. I love the hard levels and bad controls that makes it feel like a classic game in my book! better than super mario paper world gold. 

I love waligie too.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - Pedigree - 07-01-2020

tie between super mario blue twilight dx and psycho waluigi

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 07-01-2020

Psycho Waluigi, Paper Bowser World, and Mario Stardust are a few off the top of my head. If you count Pearls of Wisdom and Sacred Bells as old I enjoyed those as well.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - Vitiman - 07-01-2020

I have spent the better portion of my time on here reviewing older fangames for the jolly hell of it. I greatly enjoy looking back at stuff from the past, especially when it surprises me in how well it has managed to hold up! I'm probably one of the only people on MFGG who is bothering to review a lot of these relics of days gone by, probably only rivaled by the likes of @VinnyVideo or @Q-Nova in dedication!

As for some favourites... well, it can't be overstated how much I love the strange and bizarre. I think surrealism appeals to me the most when I look back at older fangames. Things like "Mario Left the Cheese Out" and "Yoshi: Dead & Loving It" are treasure troves of absurdity and have probably influenced my sense of humour more than I'd ever be willing to admit in person.

Some fangames have just stood the test of time remarkably well though. Games like "Super Mario Epic 2" come to mind. That game has Clickteam written all over it, but it manages to be a very playable and solid attempt at a Mario game! I'll always cherish it for that reason alone. Same with "Toad Strikes Back", Thunder Dragon's other magnum opus (and one that gets overlooked nowadays, methinks).

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - VinnyVideo - 07-01-2020

Depends on what counts as an "old" fangame! I'm going to be totally arbitrary and define "old" as "at least ten years since its first release".

Toad Strikes Back is probably my favorite fangame of that generation, but it's hard not to mention New and Tasty, Paper Bowser World, Super Mario Epic 2, Super Mario Stardust, Thingio, Waligie, and Yoshi vs. Windows.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - GeneralGuy - 07-08-2020

Blue Twilight DX, Thingio, Paper Bowser World, Super Mario Stardust, Super Mario World Dark Horizons re some of my favorites.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - SuperSledgeBro - 07-08-2020

Mario Forever! Big Grin

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - Jonii - 08-18-2020

There's a few that I really enjoy! My favorites back in the day were Super Mario Bros. Crossover, Super Mario Flash, and Super Mario War. I discovered The Purple Coin a few years later and that one is ridiculously addictive too.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - King Piranha Plant - 08-18-2020

Out of all the old ones, Yoshi vs. Windows REALLY takes me back to another world. I don't know what it is about that one... Maybe all the old PC and windows aesthetics? I play it and immediately get the weird old internet feeling (the old internet was always extremely surreal and weird even back when it was happening)

Mario's Mansion by Fanguy was always classic to me, because the OC self-insert, the handmade quality and slight goofiness really captured what makes the MFGG community special.

But favorite one? I find it hard to technically count any of Thunder Dragon's because the later ones are so fun and awesome it's hard to think of them as classic MFGG games (they actually still feel a bit new to me), so I'd probably have to pick Waligie. lol

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - Kirby's Adventure - 08-18-2020

Toad Strikes Back is superb and I seem to be in the minority of preferring both of TD's Toad games to Psycho Waluigi.
Super Mario XP is very charming, and I'd like to create something in the same (Castle)vein(ia).

I've noticed that a lot of my favorites seem to verge on being joke games, though. For instance, Yoshi vs. Windows, albeit the Platinum version, has always been one of my favorites. Several years ago, I wanted to make Luigi vs. Windows 7! Additionally, I've always enjoyed the Normal Super Mario Bros. and Late Night Mario games. Mushroom Pancakes is more recent and may have some dated humor (which was kinda already on its way out at the time of release), but it's still a well-put together game that's fun to revisit. I suppose I like it when fangames don't try so hard to be exactly like the main series, because at that stage, what's the point? Have fun with it

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - Friendly Dictator - 08-18-2020

dodge the shy guys

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - warioCritic - 08-18-2020

(08-18-2020, 07:51 PM)Friendly Dictator Wrote: dodge the shy guys
real chad.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - fireball3k - 08-20-2020

kpp mentioned yoshi vs windows, so i guess that. it's certainly representative of what fangames were like in the earliest days of mfgg, and that's its greatest strength. also, supertoad2k never shut up about how much he hated windows, so it's no surprise to me that his magnum opus would be something like that.

if not that, then the old fangames that thunder dragon did like marioquest and wario's revenge, even though they're not very good by today's standards. those set the stage for a lot more games like them, and they're nostalgic to play besides.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - strabiri - 09-18-2020

I like the old Wario Land fangame, I forget what it was called. Super Wario or something. My favorite old fangames would be that and Paper Bowser World.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - VideoGameKid265 - 09-18-2020

In terms of Mario, Super Mario Bros crossover. It was more addicting than it should be.
In general, Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch. Not just because it's a fun FPS with many great references to the MM franchise, but it was pretty much the first FPS I ever fully experienced.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - LearnintoLurk - 09-21-2020

Not my favourite game, but I have a weird soft spot for Paper Mario World. It's a terrible game, but for some reason I always saw it as "So Bad, it's good." It has a decent length to it and you can actually PLAY through it to completion, although I don't know how playable it was before the "Gold Edition" by Yoshiman, as I've only played that one.

For actual quality games, my votes go to Stardust and Super Mario Epic 2. Both of those games showed me how talented the devs on this site were.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - fireball3k - 09-21-2020

i think i only ever played the normal cut of paper mario world, and that couldn't have been later than 2002 at the most. i gave it a really vitriolic 0/10 review at the time because i was a stupid kid, but it's not like i was able to do better back then. i'm gonna go on a limb and say that it's underrated, because it's another good example of what fangames were like in the earliest days of mfgg. there are a lot of games that are better than it, yeah, but for what it's worth, i think i'd rather play something like it than the newest, freshest fangame.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - Vert - 09-22-2020

I loved playing Super Mario 63 as a kid, it was sweet.

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - Slayer - 09-22-2020

Super Mario Flash since I was 3, too bad Flash is being discontinued :/

RE: what's your favorite old fan game? - zelma - 09-27-2020

Way back there was a game called Kirby RPG or something complete with an animated intro and everything. Looking back it might've been just a generic RPGMaker game but it blew my mind as a kid. Tbh, why hasn't there been an actual Kirby rpg game yet?

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.