MFGG Forums
Reach out to streamers/YouTubers - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Reach out to streamers/YouTubers (/showthread.php?tid=2487)

Reach out to streamers/YouTubers - Vitiman - 07-19-2020

I'll try to make this brief, even though by the very nature of this suggestion it's a big, plan-involvement longterm kind of deal! I just also know that big ideas can be communicated very poorly and care needs to be taken to not drag yourself into long-winded territory Tired

I think that the MFGG higher-ups/the community in general should make a greater effort to reach out to Twitch streamers and YouTubers who have played/are interested in playing fangames. If this seems like an abstract concept at first glance, let me explain my thought process: over the years, there has been a significant rise in fangame coverage by popular web video personalities. From Vinesauce Vinny (and Joel!), to AntDude, SpaceHamster, Somecallmejohnny, etc., there have been countless reviews and playthroughs of many recent fangames that come straight from MFGG... and you guys have not made a single effort to engage with them on social media about this!

I think it would be a wonderful opportunity to spread the MFGG name and our goal (or however you want to word that, I think I accidentally made us sound like a cult) out there to the denizens of the internet. Let's face it: MFGG's relevance has been slipping for a couple of years now, and if you want to maintain a steady level of growth and reach out to new members and maybe even attract some much-needed fresh attention to the site, these streaming fanbases eat that stuff right up.

When the full stream of Vinny playing my own fangame (Communist Mario, for those who aren't familiar) went up on his Full Sauce channel on YT, I left a comment explaining my gratitude that he enjoyed it and offered to ask anyone's questions or thoughts. I got a ton of replies asking how I did this, what I used to make that, all kinds of stuff! It was very humbling, and it really made me feel like I made something people genuinely enjoyed and I couldn't help but think that being able to tie this sort of attention back to MFGG would be fantastic.

What do you guys think? It could be a very useful opportunity, and it would also stave off any risks of MFGG being stuck in its own bubble online. MFGG needs to reach out to the outside world, and this seems like the most surefire bet!

RE: Reach out to streamers/YouTubers - Pedigree - 07-19-2020

I think the very last thing you'd want is to have users in these youtube comment boxes below those videos to come here. They're pretty toxic and filled with trolls.

RE: Reach out to streamers/YouTubers - Zero Kirby - 07-19-2020

(07-19-2020, 07:28 PM)Pedigree Wrote: I think the very last thing you'd want is to have users in these youtube comment boxes below those videos to come here. They're pretty toxic and filled with trolls.

Business as usual around here, then.

(07-19-2020, 07:42 PM)Zero Kirby Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 07:28 PM)Pedigree Wrote: I think the very last thing you'd want is to have users in these youtube comment boxes below those videos to come here. They're pretty toxic and filled with trolls.

Hasn't been business as usual around here for months if not a whole year but ok.

RE: Reach out to streamers/YouTubers - recent - 07-19-2020

who cares we can pick them out easily like tomatoes in a burger

(07-19-2020, 07:46 PM)recent Wrote:

who cares we can pick them out easily like tomatoes in a burger
best of luck to ya

(07-19-2020, 07:45 PM)Pedigree Wrote:

Hasn't been business as usual around here for months if not a whole year but ok.

I believe that response is worth what the kids these days call a "whoosh."

Consider how many people found MFGG through sites like YouTube already, and consider that the site just needs some new blood? Damn straight there's gonna be assholes and trolls and toxicity but that's why we have a moderation team - to cut that s*** out. I found the site through Smack Jeeves and wanting to make sprite comics, and that community is plenty full of toxicity and trolls and such and such. Consider how many found the site through Newgrounds and flash games and animations like Super Mario Bros. Z.

Consider not being a gatekeeper and just accepting that perhaps perhaps perhaps the risk of getting a few dickheads is worth the potential many returns of new members who could potentially do all sorts of great and cool things for the site.

RE: Reach out to streamers/YouTubers - Fun With Despair - 07-19-2020

I actually did plan on reaching out to a couple youtubers and getting them to try our Game Jam games.

I still might actually. It's just been an astoundingly busy last little while for me.

RE: Reach out to streamers/YouTubers - recent - 07-19-2020

but yes its a great idea to reach out. vinesauce is one of the biggest indie game streamer circles and many fangames, good and bad, not necessarily mario ones, get great exposure there. and especially when people like dingdong and jordan underground (king piranha plant) had their start here

(07-19-2020, 07:49 PM)Zero Kirby Wrote:

Consider how many people found MFGG through sites like YouTube already, and consider that the site just needs some new blood? Damn straight there's gonna be assholes and trolls and toxicity but that's why we have a moderation team - to cut that s*** out. I found the site through Smack Jeeves and wanting to make sprite comics, and that community is plenty full of toxicity and trolls and such and such. Consider how many found the site through Newgrounds and flash games and animations like Super Mario Bros. Z.

Consider not being a gatekeeper and just accepting that perhaps perhaps perhaps the risk of getting a few dickheads is worth the potential many returns of new members who could potentially do all sorts of great and cool things for the site.
I'm not being a gatekeeper, just expressing my own concern. If you think that the vast majority of people that would attract would be positive enough to balance out all the trolls, then by all means go ahead.

Speaking of dickheads, maybe you shouldn't be so rude. I haven't done a thing to you.

(07-19-2020, 07:50 PM)recent Wrote: but yes its a great idea to reach out. vinesauce is one of the biggest indie game streamer circles and many fangames, good and bad, not necessarily mario ones, get great exposure there. and especially when people like dingdong and jordan underground (king piranha plant) had their start here

With how many MFGG games Vinny and Joel have collectively played, I have a strong feeling that I could easily reach out and get some kind of audience considering that history and my current status.

Maybe I'll try it tomorrow...

Anyway, I would appreciate no one fight in this thread. It was an honest pitch of a quite good idea and I'd rather not have that be derailed by arguments and mudslinging thanks.

(07-19-2020, 07:53 PM)Pedigree Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 07:49 PM)Zero Kirby Wrote:

I'm not being a gatekeeper, just expressing my own concern.

Speaking of dickheads, maybe you shouldn't be so rude. I haven't done a thing to you.

Well, now you've implicitly called me a dickhead, so

Your concern is just ridiculous. The site's had a twenty-year history of trolling and toxicity and that's never gonna change because the world is always going to be producing more, all the time, forever. But it's producing much more good than bad - I'd like to hope, anyway - and just shutting down a potential opportunity for growth just because "well some meanies might show up" does nothing but keep the site closed off to the outside, closing the gate, and ensuring stagnation. It is very much being a gatekeeper.

My opinion is the minority, so you have absolutely no reason to worry about my opinion shutting people out.

If you guys think that the positive outweighs the bad, go for it.

RE: Reach out to streamers/YouTubers - VinnyVideo - 07-19-2020

Partnering with prominent YouTubers and Twitch streamers who are interested in fangaming is one of the most promising opportunities for exposing our projects to a wider audience and attracting new members.

Sure, it could attract an iffy new member or two. But that's what moderation is for - helping new members become positive contributors to the community, and showing them the door if they're only here to cause trouble.

This is something I've wanted to see for a while. I recommend taking action sooner rather than later - especially since July is historically a pretty active time for MFGG (not to mention the quarantine going on in a lot of places, which also gives people more free time).

RE: Reach out to streamers/YouTubers - sooshy - 07-22-2020

ever since we completed our zelda game i'd like to see someone play it. i do think a little 'game jam' collection for streamers like vinny (not the site developer) would be cool and help the site out a bit. i dont even watch vinny but it would definitely give MFGG some more positive coverage. make more cool games, people! get on it!

RE: Reach out to streamers/YouTubers - GeneralGuy - 07-22-2020

This is an amazing idea! Streamers and YouTubers have a huge amount of influence and most of our audience would be following them.

RE: Reach out to streamers/YouTubers - Ostrich101 - 07-30-2020

This idea is such a no brainer I'm surprised that it has never been brought up before.