MFGG Forums
I made a documentary about Super Mario War - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: I made a documentary about Super Mario War (/showthread.php?tid=2517)

I made a documentary about Super Mario War - Jonii - 08-18-2020

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Does anybody remember Super Mario War? It was an open source fan game from the 2000s created by Florian Hufsky based on an old DOS game. I rediscovered the game recently and I was really impressed by how expansive and polished it ended up being. Not to mention that it got ported to everything. As a result, I felt compelled to cover it in depth in video form, which to my knowledge, no one had ever done before.

Do you guys have any memories of this game? I know a few folks on the 72dpiarmy forum tried to make a reboot called Stomp Arena in the early 2010s, but I think that fell through.

https://youtu.be/RqS7ad_BFg4

RE: I made a documentary about Super Mario War - Amine Retro - 08-19-2020

We tried to reboot it again with original assets in 2018 (i think) to avoid copyright claim but we just gave up because activity is pretty much dead, i don't know if they're still at it now though because i left. I started work on a full on shovel knight mod but i gave up after the second level because of the way the tilesets in SK are organized.

RE: I made a documentary about Super Mario War - MC Jimmy - 08-20-2020

Hey that was pretty nice.

RE: I made a documentary about Super Mario War - Jonii - 08-21-2020

(08-20-2020, 08:44 PM)MC Jimmy Wrote: Hey that was pretty nice.

Hey, thanks! I recognize you from the 72dpiarmy forum. I assume you played the game back in the day?

RE: I made a documentary about Super Mario War - King Piranha Plant - 08-22-2020

I was pleasantly surprised watching this -- it was awesome and thorough + your quality is top-notch! The video really made me miss how fun it was to make videos on fangames.

I actually played Super Mario War once when I was a kid but never understood how the game worked (for some reason I didn't really.. get..? multiplier games back then), and damnnn I NEVER had any idea it was this big. Really cool and kind of amazing that the project has survived this long as a productive and collaborative thing.

RE: I made a documentary about Super Mario War - MC Jimmy - 08-22-2020

(08-21-2020, 11:38 PM)Jonii Wrote:

Hey, thanks! I recognize you from the 72dpiarmy forum. I assume you played the game back in the day?

Yeah. I helped on the Halloween Edition which was supported by Two52 so it was slightly different from the main versions and included some extra stuff in it. I was also helping with music on Stomp Arena.

RE: I made a documentary about Super Mario War - Jonii - 08-23-2020

(08-22-2020, 05:12 PM)King Piranha Plant Wrote: I was pleasantly surprised watching this -- it was awesome and thorough + your quality is top-notch! The video really made me miss how fun it was to make videos on fangames.

I actually played Super Mario War once when I was a kid but never understood how the game worked (for some reason I didn't really.. get..? multiplier games back then), and damnnn I NEVER had any idea it was this big. Really cool and kind of amazing that the project has survived this long as a productive and collaborative thing.

Thanks so much for the kind words! Making videos is my main creative outlet right now and it's working out pretty well.

Oof I hear ya! There were some games I had absolutely zero idea how to play when I was younger. This one ended up having a surprisingly in depth history which made it extra fun to tackle.

(08-22-2020, 08:47 PM)MC Jimmy Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 11:38 PM)Jonii Wrote:

Yeah. I helped on the Halloween Edition which was supported by Two52 so it was slightly different from the main versions and included some extra stuff in it. I was also helping with music on Stomp Arena.

Oh rad, that's super cool! I'll have to dig up that Halloween version sometime. And that's right, I think I used some of your music during the Stomp Arena portion of the video! Other Big Brin Good on you.

RE: I made a documentary about Super Mario War - fireball3k - 08-25-2020

in regards to the super mario war that the topic is actually about: i don't think i ever played this game myself, but i know that someone ported it to the playstation vita, of all things. i'm pretty sure it had a psp homebrew port back in the day, too, but i don't remember. i was really into the psp homebrew scene when it was a brand new system, but i was mostly using homebrew so that i could run emulators and not much else. that said, i do have some sharp memories of a game called super mario war, but it's way different than the one in this topic.

now, i remember a game called super mario war, but it was a super nes homebrew rom that i stumbled across back in the day. this would have been 2002-2003 or thereabouts, so you pretty much had to find roms individually on the internet if you wanted to emulate. i discovered zsnes and i went for it, scouring the internet for what few individual roms i could find on whatever geocities sites had any. i remember that i ripped a ton of sprites in a really amateurish way into clickteam IDEs like the games factory back in the day, so i'd be hunting for roms i could rip sprites from. i picked the one called "super mario war" from whatever internet backalley ROM site i was on this week. because i wondered what the hell it could be, and i got this:

i suppose this is obvious given the imagery in the game and its generally janky feel, but this is a homebrew ROM. you play as mario with a musket or something, shooting bullet bills up at a flying snake thing made out of super nintendo cartridges. i bet you five bucks this thing was made by a stoner because of the background in the first level- you've got bob marleypede sitting on top of a mushroom with a bong while the game quietly plays out before him. there's really not that much to it, but i thought it was utterly bizarre when i was a kid.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.