MFGG Forums
Has anyone heard about bootlegs (aside from bootleg games)? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Has anyone heard about bootlegs (aside from bootleg games)? (/showthread.php?tid=2564)

Has anyone heard about bootlegs (aside from bootleg games)? - Klug - 09-24-2020

Inspired by this thread.

boot·leg
/ˈbo͞otˌleɡ/

Normally, “bootleg” refers to goods illegally sold and distributed, without proper taxation, and at a loss to the original manufacturer of the goods. This can apply to anything, from booze to cigarettes to designer jeans, etc., as long as it is sold and distributed by other than legal means. Today the term is primarily used to describe stolen audio/video recordings that are illegally sold and distributed on the Internet.

I know all about counterfeiting, pirating and bootlegging because I sell bootleg CDs and other material on the Internet. Give me a call if you need anything.

There are so many bootleg products (not to mention bootleg games though) not just in my country but around the world. (Have you ever seen the Michaelsoft Binbows sign, New Super Mario Bros. The Hedgehogamiiqothose iPhone stuff, and Game Child?) It may look weird but it sounded too funny for people who are hardly looking for real stuff. And later on, I've found a page called Bootleg Stuff and a subreddit called r/crappyoffbrands, which two of them showcase a truckload of bootleg products. I almost kept laughing at those pics! Laughing

Now did you guys have bootlegs around? Discuss.

RE: Has anyone heard about bootlegs (aside from bootleg games)? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 09-24-2020

I like bootleg character figures as long as they’re weird enough to be interesting. Those that are not so bad that they are shameful end up being more shameful due to their lack of appeal.

RE: Has anyone heard about bootlegs (aside from bootleg games)? - LearnintoLurk - 09-24-2020

In my local Chinatown, there were tons of bootlegs you could buy. One of my friends had a Chinese language copy of Link's Awakening DX. It was obviously fake because the artwork on the game cart was super warped and the top of the cart only said "GAME" and not "GAME BOY COLOR." I also knew someone that had a multicart on GBA full of NES games. When I used my DS back in the day, I had an flashcart, so I played a LOT of stuff on DS, probably the most out of any other system I ever had since. (Not counting PC)

In terms of stuff besides games, there were tons of Knock-Off Backpacks and Shirts you could buy from Chinatown. Not on the same level as the memes online, but they were pretty funny. You've just reminded me of how downtrodden the community in my local Chinatown has become.

RE: Has anyone heard about bootlegs (aside from bootleg games)? - DJ Yoshiman - 09-25-2020

I remember, a long time ago, a bunch of our Mario fangames being found on some off-brand website attempting to sell them in compilations - some of them were the original titles in-tact, and some of them were completely made up titles but were definitely the fangames. Good news is, nothing came of it, and obviously to this day, we're fine.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.