MFGG Forums
Game jam/contest idea - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Game jam/contest idea (/showthread.php?tid=2585)

Game jam/contest idea - Simpson55 - 11-16-2020

Hi,

So I just had an idea. I've noticed that nowadays almost every mario fangame runs on Game Maker's engine (safe for the 3D ones and hacks of course). Wouldn't it be nice to hold a contest or a jam where participants would write their game in C, Java or Python with the engine of their choice (or heck make their own engine)?

RE: Game jam/contest idea - warioCritic - 11-16-2020

there's some clickteam devs too don't forget mate

RE: Game jam/contest idea - Simpson55 - 11-16-2020

(11-16-2020, 11:38 PM)warioCritic Wrote: there's some clickteam devs too don't forget mate
Let's not forget Games Factory games!

RE: Game jam/contest idea - Fun With Despair - 11-17-2020

As interesting as the idea is, I entered a ludum dare a year or so ago with an actual professional programmer and even he couldn't make an entire engine from scratch in the three days we had. Doing this kind of thing and making a good game out of it requires either a full team or a LOT of time, and I would rather have our users be able to put out qualitt content they are proud of.

RE: Game jam/contest idea - Simpson55 - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 12:01 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote: As interesting as the idea is, I entered a ludum dare a year or so ago with an actual professional programmer and even he couldn't make an entire engine from scratch in the three days we had. Doing this kind of thing and making a good game out of it requires either a full team or a LOT of time, and I would rather have our users be able to put out qualitt content they are proud of.

I wasn't expecting people to write everything from scratch of course. I was thinking of making a game engine from a pre existing graphical engine like the SDL. As long as you can draw pictures onscreen, register user inputs and play sounds, making a simple minigame is just a matter of creating the right classes.

RE: Game jam/contest idea - Fun With Despair - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 12:07 AM)Simpson55 Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 12:01 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote: As interesting as the idea is, I entered a ludum dare a year or so ago with an actual professional programmer and even he couldn't make an entire engine from scratch in the three days we had. Doing this kind of thing and making a good game out of it requires either a full team or a LOT of time, and I would rather have our users be able to put out qualitt content they are proud of.

I wasn't expecting people to write everything from scratch of course. I was thinking of making a game engine from a pre existing graphical engine like the SDL. As long as you can draw pictures onscreen, register user inputs and play sounds, making a simple minigame is just a matter of creating the right classes.
I mean, it's easy enough to make a simple minigame sure, but personally I much prefer the greater variety of gameplay and genres present in our current jams over a jam that would at best be nothing but a collection of simple minigames for the most part.

RE: Game jam/contest idea - warioCritic - 11-17-2020

what about another joke game jam?

RE: Game jam/contest idea - warioCritic - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 12:42 AM)warioCritic Wrote: what about another joke game jam?

or old fangames jam thingo what ever it was called.

RE: Game jam/contest idea - Xander - 12-23-2020

I use Javascript and HTML Canvas. Smile

RE: Game jam/contest idea - Simpson55 - 12-25-2020

(12-23-2020, 10:26 AM)Xander Wrote: I use Javascript and HTML Canvas. Smile

I guess it's a good alternative since Flash games are no longer a thing.
At least you don't have to compile the code to test it.

RE: Game jam/contest idea - Xander - 12-26-2020

(12-25-2020, 11:54 PM)Simpson55 Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 10:26 AM)Xander Wrote: I use Javascript and HTML Canvas. Smile

I guess it's a good alternative since Flash games are no longer a thing.
At least you don't have to compile the code to test it.

I quite like it as a platform. No compiling, but also pure portability, no installing, load in any browser, load on mobile, load in your Console's browser. I wish I had more time to tinker with it. Smile

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.