MFGG Forums
Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold (/showthread.php?tid=259)

Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Hiro-sofT - 12-15-2017

As the name of this thread says (and I remember we had a thread like this before), this is a thread to talk about your old pieces of game creation. What do you think? Which of these is the most interesting one for you and why? What are your old projects and the experiences you had with them? Let me and the others know...

So...

I have an absurdly huge list of either canceled or abandoned and old projects. Before this entire post blows itself up, I'm just going to tell the basic stuff and let the details come out later if people are interested for them (as I can imagine, not every project is interesting for everybody). I'm also only going to talk about the games I actually got some progress on and not the ones that just existed as ideas. Some of my projects I'm also not going to remember, as their idea was probably bad and forgettable to begin with.

Enough talk, let's get going:

1. Panel de Pon RPG (abandoned and canceled)
Probably the project I was mostly known for... this started my way into the development of fan games. I presented this game in 2007 for the first time (my oldest video is from 2007). It clearly shows how inexperienced I was with game development at this point.

It was a fan game of Panel de Pon (what the Japanese got instead of Tetris Attack) which was going to be an action RPG. Of course it was going to have like 28 characters, dozens of minigames, multiple chapters, intense boss fights, multiple gimmicks and mechanics, bla, bla, bla... typical rookie developer stuff.

I got a good amount of praise for the effort I put into the graphics at that time, which made the game look unique, but I also got a lot more hate for that and rather "offensive" feedback.

"You’re making a project about girls? Are you gay?"
"I'm missing the blood there... it really isn't my thing... can you make it darker and more offensive?"
"Looks like vomit! You better work with a low amount of colors and edits rather than with custom sprites!"
"TOO BRIGHT!!! TOO UGLY!!!"
"This is so disgusting, stop making videogames!"
Actual quotes from various people back then...

Due to my age and how stupid I was back then, I rejected any criticism and kept thinking my project was the greatest ever etc... you can imagine the rest of it (I was a weird guy back then). I was getting Mails from people who told me to change my game and disappear from the internet. A lot of people tried to push me out and I (as dumb as I was) was fighting with them, which leaved a sour taste in my mouth until this day...

I lost the source project files of this a lot of times, started over, tried to reboot it, making a group project of it... but in the end, I let it die. It was hopeless, to ambitious and plagued with bad stuff to begin with. At least I learned my lessons and now I know what I shouldn't do (well, I hope so). It's just sad... that this game had the longest development time I spend into game development of all of my projects.

Video playlist: (Cover your ears on some of those. You have been warned):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2BxHSsn535ExxrhSf-AAmD1vTjDtIwE1

2. Mermaids (probably on hold)
My first game that wasn't a fan game... while working on a huge project like Panel de Pon RPG, I needed something I can work on, if my head decided to burn out from that game. Mermaids was born. An underwater adventure game like the classic Zelda games, which I again used the RPG Maker 2003 engine for. Unlike most projects, any traces of this project seem to have been erased.

To make it short, you could use singing and you mermaid tail to attack enemies.

Multiple times I wanted to redo this game, as I think it could be a neat idea. Wanted to remake it as a GameBoyColor styled game... but somehow I lost motivation for it... at least for now.

Projects 3-9
Ribbon Jump (probably on hold)
Was going to be a classic, arcade styled platformer, in which you would have to climb up a tower fast enough, before the water would have got to you (actually pretty much like Rainbow Islands?). The character can summon ribbons, which are giving a boost jump when he jumped on them. Each time a ribbon is being summoned, you would have lost some of your magic meter (which wasn't done there yet). Jumping on a ribbon would have gave you the magic back you used on summoning it.

4. Mighty Gravity Girl (probably on hold)
This project was interesting (for me at least)... in this game, you had the ability to hang and walk on ceilings, if you were close enough on them. You even could jump, without falling off the celling, if you stay close enough to it. Additionally, you also had a variety of jumps, like a regular one, a higher one, which you could get while pressing the button right when you hit the ground, a wall jump and a wide but low hop to the sides. Even a second player could join the ride... it was far from finish, but an attempt was made.

For a test engine, its controls were rather floaty and clunky, but I liked the idea of it... which is why I would consider redoing it at some point.

5. Kate Cyberbytewarrior (abandoned)
This one was barley started... my idea was it to make the main character being able to walk around as a so called Data Soul, which allowed you to shoot (somehow) and enter devices with data or transportation for data. While entering a device (such as an enemy robot), the gameplay would have changed from a Metroid action platformer to... like something else like a SHMUP or sometimes a hide'n'seek, depending on which form the main character would have transformed into in order to take over or enter the object you invaded.

Additionally the main enemies of this game would have been a group of bad guys, who would have been based on all sorts of dangerous programs, such as worms, trojans, viruses, etc...

6. Tunnel Dozer (on hold)
Started as a Mario&Luigi styled minigame, it became its own thing as a GameBoy styled adventure game. In this game you would have to dig your way through the underground with the saw blades of your machine. Not much was done so far.

If you know, which game gave me that idea for this game, I will give you a cookie...

7. The new bubbly GBA (probably on hold)
This one was going to be a beat them up adventure game, with typical magical girl stuff thrown in. That pretty much sums it all up...

8. Unnamed underground game (probably abandoned)
Not much to say here... it was suppose to be some sort of dumb arcade styled game, in which you dig your way down to the end, while dodging stuff and avoid dying by fall damage and all that fun stuff.

9. Unnamed firebug game (abandoned)
Not much to say about this one either... it was going to be a SHMUP, in which you had to move your mouse reel up and down to set yourself on fire, which allowed you to use a dash that warps you to a desired location on the screen and leaves flames along the way you took. While the idea was interesting... it probably would have wrecked most mice. It's for the best it didn't make it far...

Video of project 3-9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Z1DKOoAWY

10. Little Destiny Chīsana megami no bōken (probably on hold)
This game is where the really good games started... a metroidvania very heavily inspired by metroid, but in a god and devils world setting with you playing as a child of a goddess. You can use magic, find powerups, upgrade your stuff by finding the upgrades... etc...

Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGZ8FjEe4C0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJWbIYUx_Fk

11. Varisized - Brave Space Soldier Rihira (probably on hold)
Think about a scrolling space shooter like "Gradius", were you fight a bunch of enemies in space, while collecting powerups and stuff. However, Varisized was going to add an interesting feature to this genre: The ability to change the size of your ship, anytime at will!

Depending on the ships size, your speed, fire frequency, defense and strength would have been changed too. A big ship for example is slow and has a low fire frequency, but it's very powerful and deals a lot of damage, while a small one is fast and does have a high fire frequency, but it's weak in terms of armor and fire power. You could slip through very small passages, dodge the enemy fire and destroy them with your power, as giant or midget. I really liked this project, but it was made on the GM8 engine, which is pretty much outdated.

I really enjoyed the idea and concept and it would be too bad to waste it... so... maybe if I get some time, I will redo the game in Game Maker Studio? Possibly yes.

Video playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2BxHSsn535E-SCbT6UmXu3Ar-JqTHaMu

Music (Cover your ears. You have been warned):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huuTTO0SL-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NISTUe0uM8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvmC1zS5rLo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuTJEnRM-_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-xZKRypVrY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDK93mKHSMQ

Old presentation (German):
https://www.multimediaxis.de/threads/142741-Varisized-Brave-Space-Soldier-Rihira

12. Dash Dash Dilia (on hold)
Inspired by Castlevania, I wanted to do a game with a similar "world". Dash Dash Dilia was supposed to be an action platformer, in which you have the ability to "dash". With the dash, you could take out enemies, hover across large pits and even climb up walls. In this game, you would play a bounty huntress, who was given a mission to take out a very powerful demon, who terrorizes the humans. On hold, because "Fungi Cappani" is taking my attention now...

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veju72sBBNY

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Merit Celaire - 12-15-2017

I can't disclose what fangame project ideas that I have, but I can tell you that they are all "on hold" at this time because "personal circumstances" keep getting in the way (including trying to get new jobs lined up).

Yep, I'm still determined to get them all dealt with because the "passion" is still there for them including the "characters" I plan to represent in them (which I hope the target audience will be able to represent too).

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - VinnyVideo - 12-15-2017

Mighty Gravity Girl sounds interesting. I've seen a couple of 2-D games where manipulating gravity is a core mechanic, and when done well, it's a lot of fun.

As for Varisized, I wouldn't scrap it just because it was made in GM 8.0. GM 8.0 is indeed rather old at this point, but a lot of people still use GM 8.0 (myself included). Even if you don't want to use GM 8.0, depending on which functions you use, you may be able to port the project to GM Studio without needing to change much. So if you've put a decent amount of work into it, I'd recommend against redoing the project unless the engine needs serious retooling.

As for my own projects, over the years I've been pretty good about finishing what I start. Here's my current list of unfinished stuff:
  • An indie RPG project set in a modern Southern college town is the main project I've been procrastinating on. The project is very much alive, but I haven't done much with it lately.
  • An indie platformer based on the video game concepts I'd draw when I was a little kid. As with my indie RPG, lack of confidence in my ability to make presentable sprites has held me back. Also, it's probably not the most original concept there's ever been.
  • An indie minigame based on using drones to deliver packages to people. I submitted this in a previous Minigame Competition, but it was in a very incomplete state. It's close to being done now. I just need to sit down for a while on a slow afternoon and finish it up.
  • A game about the 2016 presidential election that parodies Pokemon Go. Because I was very busy with grad school around that time, I wasn't able to make much progress, and now there's little point in trying to finish it.
  • I've talked about making a Fire Emblem fangame inspired by events in MFGG's past. I had some cool ideas for it, but unless someone is enthusiastic about helping, I think I'll just leave it as a bare-bones engine test. Fire Emblem-like games are rather complex for one person to make, and a previous team's attempt at a similar project didn't make it very far.

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Friendly Dictator - 12-15-2017

anyone remember super mario universal

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Kritter - 12-15-2017

I've abandoned a lot of projects through the years. Notably for fangames:
  • Luigi Quest - My first fangame project which starred Luigi. Had a lot of levels done and a lot of unique ideas, as well as one of the first fangames on MFGG to use a custom engine instead of the default Clickteam Platform engine. I kept iterating on it until eventually better games had come and gone and I lost interest.
  • Luigi Quest 2 - An isometric platformer which never got very far. I really liked the idea and did a lot of graphics for it but I never finished it
  • Mario Land: Minigame Mayhem. Wait... didn't I finish this? Not entirely, I had planned SO MUCH after the game had come out that I was going to add with updates. Sadly my HDD died and I hadn't backed the game up in a long time, so the game will forever remain an unfinished project Sad
  • Mario Land: Minigame Mayhem 2 - I ripped LOADS of graphics from Bowser's Inside Story and planned a full story. Remade the base engine, did loads of work, but in the end I just lost interest in making another fangame. I don't have time for that, if I was ever going to do this game... it'd likely be an original game rather than a fangame. The basis is there for something special.
In the non-fangame corner:
  • Agent X - Sort of a James Bond type of thing where you play as a covert agent uncovering conspiracies and whatnot, had some awesome ideas in place but it was one of the first games I ever worked on so it used default clickteam engines and so on. The idea is still there in my brain if I ever decide to resurrect the thing, but I think i'd go with a more Metal Gear Solid spin instead of straight out action.
  • Krash Bros - This was my answer to Sonic or Mario, a duo of guys who platform around shooting bad guys and trying to retrieve their stolen mushroom from the evil genuis Dr. Krazy. Was planned like Sonic 3 where you could play by yourself, co-op with another player or have the second player follow you like Tails in Sonic or Diddy Kong in DKC. Only made a few levels though.

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - smbmaster99 - 12-15-2017

I've got a few up my sleeve as well. I don't really have many cancelled games, but I've got  a few that have been postponed and IHDK when I'll do them.
  • Flame the Dragon (To be re-titled; Postponed indefinitely) - I made a thread for this back on the old forums. A sidescroller adventure game where you played as the title character Flame Sanders, an anthropomorphic dragon. At the time it was a Zelda-inspired fangame at heart, but it was being rushed and I wasn't happy with it. I put it on hold way back in 2010 and haven't done much with it since. I have assembled newer and better ideas over the years. The gameplay I had in mind became a mixture of a sidescroller with exploration, RPG, and hack-n-slash elements, and the story evolved into something a little more grand than my initial ideas. While there hasn't been any codework on the game since 2010, I did update the character sprites, redid designs, and updated the palette to be more colorful. The cute character designs and the bright colorful palette were to stand out in contrast to the game's story, which grows darker as the it progresses.
  • Super Mario Bros: Odyssey (On hiatus; To be ren-titled; chapter system scrapped) - I began work on what would eventually become SMB:O way back in 2009 when I was fooling around with the Super Mario Fusion Engine and contributing to said project. After adding a number of features and changing a lot of stuff, I decided to essentially re-tell the stories from Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3, World as I had interpreted them as a child, and then a final chapter where the Wario Bros joined the team. After finishing chapter 1, I almost immediately began work on chapter 2. Progress was going great - such to the extent that I even made a video showing the prologue of the chapter - but I eventually realized just how ambitious the project was. I chose to put the project on indefinite hiatus, and scrapped the chapter system, and whenever I pick up the project again, it will essentially be what I had envisioned for the final chapter, with changes of course so as to avoid sounding odd without the other chapters. The title will also be changed, seeing as how there's now an official game called Super Mario Odyssey lol
  • Youtube Poop-inspired joke Zelda game (Cancelled) - As it says, this project was to be a joke game starring Link who was teleported to a bizarre dimension by Ganon and needed to find a way back. This dimension was a Youtube Poop-themed world where Link would team up with King Harkinian and Morshu to fight against enemies such as Mario's Head, Mama Luigi, I.M. Meen, and CDI-Ganon, among other CDI characters. The game featured several unique death animations and the boss battle with Mario's Head hosted a one-hit kill move which would cause a re-creation (with edits) of different Mario Head animations from Mario Teaches Typing and would cause the screen to shake violently and rapidly invert and change colors for a second or two before Link either exploded, turned into Ganon's Face, or some other bizarre thing, and in the Mama Luigi boss battle he could summon CDI Luigi to throw different types of spaghetti at you, some of which did damage, and others had effects such as speeding the game up or making Link really floaty. In the end the game was scrapped due to a loss of interest, though the thought of it still makes me giggle

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Nutshell - 12-16-2017

SUPER YARA FAT

The first game I made was "Super Yara Fat" back in 2013, with my first computer, one of theese Asus EeeBox things... I used a engine from the now closes yoyogames called "The Nintendo Enternainment System Super Mario Bros" it was a .gmk so I used it in maaaaany games. The physics were a piece of poo the graphics were a mix of 8 bit mario graphics, 16 bit graphics from some other games... But I was like 9 years so It looked good for me and my friends. I supported the game until late 2014 because I didn't care about how much the game's file size was and game maker didn't support that amount of... crap. Also my computer broke and the last versions I did were a lot better than the "4.2.8 Switch Version" made in 26 June 2014. It was the switch version because I had a webpage with all the versions of the game, I called it switch version because you switch to a different version when you download it. Oh, also the main character is a Fat dog named Yara from my old and crappy 2013 webseries "Los Brunos". I planned a lot more of stuff like boss battles ,secret areas, costumes, 2 player gameplay...

You can download the game here:
SUPER YARA FAT 4.2.8 (SWITCH VERSION) 185MB

CONTROLS :

ARROW KEYS [MOVE]
Z [RUN]
X [JUMP]
UP ARROW [SUPER JUMP AND FLY]
C [FLY WHEN JUMP]

RAJOY ATTACKS IN SPAIN

This one is a game inspired by arcade machines (I think) the development started back in 2014 after SUPER YARA FAT. I used a engine made by me but was the same as the SUPER YARA FAT's engine. And... I have nothing more to say about this... The development process was the same as in SUPER YARA FAT, I mean, every time I made a change save a NEW version of the game, like Version 0.0.1, I add a new sprite or a new object, save to Version 0.0.2. So... SUPER YARA FAT had more than 428 versions... The gameplay is more the same, Super Mario Bros clone with my characters... and...well... That's all.

DOWNLOAD RAJOY ATTACKS IN SPAIN (PAL ESP)

CONTROLS : 

ARROW KEYS [MOVE]
DOWN KEY [DUCK]
X [JUMP]
Z [RUN]

SUPER YARA FAT 2 / YARA WORLD
Inspired by Wario World... Yara World!!!

This one never reached a solid phase, just a buggy level with things to mess around...

[Image: 1z5kuft.png]

MORE COMING SOON...

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Yakibomb - 12-16-2017

As far as fan-games are concerned, I had a lot of games on the backburner. One of them was inspired by the fan game Super Mario Lost World 2 (if anyone remembers that) but it was an extravagant time waster because I planned like 12 different medallions or runes or something to collect across a lot of different stages accessible on the overworld map. Some stages included a garbage dump, and a town full of Toads totally in love with the ideas of love, but never living to do anything about it (i.e. Standing and thinking, "I wonder if so-and-so likes me? I just love the idea I'd rather just stand here and think about it forever!")

Another game was of a Shy Guy that could float by using his feet. Never went anywhere past the debug room.

Probably my biggest (and probably most ambitious) non-fan-game project was a game called Tower. You played as a smiley face with a hammer (the sprite ripped from an emoji of a smiley with a gavel) going from the top of a tower to the bottom of the tower. It was segmented into four areas, with each area made up of 5 stages. The Smiley would go through a normal castle area, then an overgrown vegetation area similar to Brinstar from Super Metroid, a lava-filled area and finally, an ice cave-type area. The bosses included a giant spider, an insect queen, a lava bound serpent-dragon, and the ice boss wasn't made yet. As you can tell it was far into development, but unfortunately the data was deleted.

My SMRPG fan-dome started with Mario in the Mirage Machine: Secrets of Subcon. Mallow (from Super Mario RPG) gets a bump on his head and Mario has to travel into his dreams to restore his lost memories. Unfortunately for Mario (and me) the root of all evil emerges from Mallow, goes into the tangible world and creates it's own world. THEN (yeah it continues!) you go into the root of all evil's dreams. Interesting concepts, but not much production.

My second SMRPG fan-game continued with Plumber's Parasitic Plant Problem. Backstory: Mario, Peach and Toad go on vacation to an island, home of the talking piranha plant Audrey. Audrey rules over all piranha plants and obviously, something bad happens to her, and you need to figure out what's going on.
It goes deeper, and the Star Road gets involved stating "It must protect the Flower World", and you discover what the Flower World is, what ever that could be.

The third SMRPG hack was Super Birthday Wish... Which isn't totally abandoned but is now being reworked into another format. TBD.

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Catonator - 12-16-2017

I never really officially cancel any projects -  I just reach a point where the goal of the project gets foggy and I lose a solid plan, or I realize that the goal is too ambitious for my own good, so the project just gets cut down a lot and eventually dies. So here are some zombie projects!

Tenebris 2:
[Image: HrC8FjX.gif]

The game which has been in development since 2015, and one I can't really say if the project is actually on hold, ever. It's being gradually worked on over time, but has no clear goal, and is mostly an engine and concept still. Hooray!

Iron Fist:
[Image: 0p4rKQK.gif]

A project I poured a lot of time into, but is probably unfortunately dead for good. The gameplay wasn't shaping up to be particularly solid, and the engine had quite a few nasty issues. I hope to reuse the art someday, spriting and animating everything took ages.

Suicideline Helsinki:
[Image: R7GzFXu.png]

A project which I'm really proud of, and was really disappointed to let go. I'm still really hoping to revisit this idea one day, but it seems unlikely as my partner-in-crime-and-dev-hell isn't willing to go back to developing it, although he's  interested in completing it as well.

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - darkblueyoshi - 12-17-2017

3D Mario Bros.

[Image: AMdSXfA.gif]

This was an ambitious project to bring 3-dimensional Mario games into MFGG. There weren't many 3D Mario games on this website before this one. My goal was to make this the Hello Engine of 3D Mario game engines. Unfortunately, this project went nowhere because of naive coding practices. The codebase suffered from naive object-oriented design and over-engineering.

Now, I don't have much time to make fangames, but I might try again next year.

Super Mario World: All Star Edition

Now known as Super Mario: All Star Attack, this project is still ongoing, just not by me anymore. The original team consisted of @Mikeystar, @Gatete, @DarkSideStrike, and a few other members. I joined in for the sake of joining, lmao. I was still young working on this project, so my immaturity got me kicked out of the team, along with another guy. I didn't do much anyways, because I didn't know what they wanted. I just fixed some bugs. Since then, I worked on my own project, 3D Mario Bros.

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - OssieTheOstrich - 03-01-2019

I had a few projects i was making before Super Mario Generations, so here are the list.
  • New Super Mario Bros 2D: Now i know what you are going to say, "But NSMB was already 2D!", well i just thought i could make my own version of the game, but i only got around to making the first level before i abandoned the project. This one also had a different engine then the rest of my projects after this.
  • Super Mario Super Collection: It was basically going to be Mario All Stars, but with more remade games and a art style based off Super Mario World Redrawn by icegoom, but it became too ambitious so i scrapped it. I actually brought some stuff from that to Generations.
  • Super Mario Bros Deluxe Redux: It as going to be a remake of Super Mario Bros Deluxe in a style similar to Super Mario Bros DXX, and this one had two demos before i lost interest in the project.

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - HylianDev - 03-01-2019

Spoopy Maryo 3 & Spoopy Maryo Teaches Typing 2 are both planned projects coming indefinitely

also a Doki Doki Panic sequel

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 03-02-2019

I was thinking of making a "Banjo Kazooie" hack called "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANJO KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZOOIE"

Where every dialogue is a character saying "AAAAAAAAAAAAA"

But i thought it kinda sounded too stupid so i scrapped it

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - SilverVortex - 03-09-2019

oh god, i'm infamous for these.
my two most notable ones are:
1. Super Mario ReTurns
this was an attempt (as an eleven year old) to make an open world 2D mario with time travel mechanics. obviously, back then i had no experience with coding, but i claimed i did, my biggest mistake. i had a short amount of time to learn GML while making a mario game single handedly at the same time (remember that for later). so i just didn't. i never made the game.
2. Odyssey2D (Odyssey in 2Dimensions)
this was my most recent project, in 2017, aiming to be a "full" demake of super mario odyssey in 2D, but with more varying mechanics, like paying coins to get cap upgrades, and having some new kingdoms. i got somewhat deep into development, but then bada boom september hit, and i was forced back to school. i was still making the game at this point, but i was pressured into both.
eventually the game went into hiatus until it was confirmed cancelled on the discord server yesterday.
damn.

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Hyper - 03-18-2019

Over the past 11 years (maybe 12 years before I joined MFGG) of game development, I have many abandoned game projects and some of them were never mentioned in the public until now. Anyways let's cut to the chase:

1. Several poorly made games that were untitled but unfortunately all of the sources for these games are lost forever. I felt like these are more of series of experiments before I dive deeper into game development (2006).
  • My first game was made with Game Maker 6 back in 2006 which is about SMW (SMAS+SMW) Luigi (always faces one direction) walks around the stage to get to the goal, the goal is a star. There's no power-ups. Only Goomba and coins.
  • My second game is where I tried to replicate SMW. I recall that there's Goomba and Koopa that move left and right. At the end of the stage there's a large chargin' chuck that kicks (American) footballs.

2. After that I made Bowser's Clone (MFGG Wiki Article) (2006-2007). It is a pretty ambitious project for me at that time but I gave up for the next game I am making.

3. A SMB3 like game called Super Mario Bros 7 (yes I am quite creative) (2007-2008). Anyways, this game has a better map system compared to Bowser's Clone and it has power-ups, running, moving platforms, and other stuffs. This game was built off GM6's platformer tutorial before I discovered any of the Mario engines at MFGG. Overall it's pretty glitchy and I stopped developing it ever since I discovered MFGG and Hello Mario Engine. Fortunately I still has the source of the game. If anyone is interested, please let me know.
[Image: SMB7.gif]

4. Super Mario Bros 3 Advance (what's up with the un-creative title?!) (2008-2011): It's one of my bigger project that was made in early 2008. I originally made this with Hello Mario Engine 3, but I got sidetracked with making Mario vs the Furbies (I will cover this next). Eventually I started to make my own Mario engine because I am not too fond with Hello's Mario engine and tried to switch SMB3A to it. I got to the point where I was like "Screw this! My engine is a mess and I am going back to Hello Mario Engine!" And then in 2011 I released SMB3A in Hello Mario Engine (originally HME3 but I implements stuffs from HME5). I received several negative feedback that it's just another Hello clone so I stopped working on it for good. Anyways, if you are interested to see SMB3A in my own engine, here's a video:

Yeah, my PC was awful at that time. (Pentium 4 single core 1.6 GHz with 1 GB of RAM).

MFGG Wiki article about SMB3A

5. Mario & Luigi vs The Furbies (Originally known as Mario vs the Furbies) (2008-2012): Oh boy. This started as a dumb just for fun experimental project and eventually I turned it into an actual fan game. This is the first game where I used my own engine, eventually I ported it with my SMW engine from 2011. There's a lot of ups and downs while I was making it. At the end I just lost my motivation to continue it. Anyways here's the original prototype (experimental project) for Mario vs the Furbies: Download (2.15 MB - Google Drive) 

MFGG Wiki article about MLvsTF

6. While I was developing Mario & Luigi vs the Furbies. I made several unorthodox furby games in 2008 and 2009:
  • Furby Panic (MFGG Wiki) (I forget when I made this but is has to be around 2008 or later) - A weird shooter game where you exterminate furbies. The URL on the Wiki is dead (YoYo Games sandbox is dead for years) so here's the alternative download: Download (6.90 MB - Google Drive)
  • Furby Attack (late 2009) - Another super weird shooter game where you use your mouse to shoot furbies. I have never mentioned nor released this game at all due to its weirdness. This is more of an experiment where I play around with layers. Download (1.83 MB - Google Drive)

7. Highway Trouble sequels (2012-2015): after the success of Highway Trouble (another out of place Mario fangame where Mario jumps around cars on a highway and shoot things). I decided to make Highway Trouble 2 or some sort. Back in 2013 I tried to make a Metal Slug run and shoot like Mario fangame known as "Metal Slug Mario 2: Attack of the Clones" (no I wasn't paying attention to the Star Wars prequels at the time I named it), the first stage is a stealth like level. Again I lost the source and game due to hard drive crash. However I do have few screenshots to prove that it exists at certain point of time:
[Image: 21eagck.jpg][Image: 313kjdl.png][Image: k2mqdi.png]

A few years later I decided to make Highway Trouble 2. Life and things got in the way and I lost my motivation to continue it. (MFGG Wiki Article about HWYT2)

8. Super Mario - Red Scare II (2013): It shared the same fate as Highway Trouble 2. However another reason why I discontinued it is due to one particular user is demotivating my effort. (MFGG Wiki Article about SM-RS2)

9. Infinite Run One and Two (2014 - 2016): My first indie games for mobile phones. I lost my interest due to its unoriginality and poor reception.

10. Cops (2014-2017): One of my better known indie game project. Originally it was made for a minigame competition for MFGG and I decided to expand it. Overall I got better reception and I got close to 50k download at Windows Phone Store!!! I initially lost the source of the game in 2015 due to hard drive crashes but I managed to found a backup in 2016. I continued making more levels until 2017. Sadly with Microsoft pulled the plug with Windows Phone and I got so busy at work in 2017 I lost my effort with it. I however already planned and built a prototype of a spiritual sequel for Cops. At the moment I got other projects to focus before I can get back to it.

EDIT: 11. Mario vs Furbies (2011): An arcade like fan game where Mario shoots furbies. And yet again my hard drive crashed so I don't have any source to it anymore. However here's a video:

And that wraps up most of my canned projects. Man, life sure likes to get in my way and drain my energy. :/

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Clobbah - 03-18-2019

Pretty much all of my Clickteam games since I've moved on and found a more mature engine.

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - DJ Yoshiman - 04-13-2019

WITT Episode 3

I keep getting small urges that I should finish it buuuuuuut no

RE: Abandoned and old projects, which are on hold - Flametale - 04-15-2019

Honestly I have way too many to list! I was rather over-ambitious in my early days. I spent far too much time trying to make a game and not enough time learning how to make a game. As a result I usually discarded my projects out of frustration when I realised something was way too out of the scope of my abilities. Let's review the bigger ones:

Project MQ (2008?) -
MQ was a platformer game where you played as a strange little cat with a rather... wide head. I honestly can't remember what the MQ stands for anymore but I'm sure Q stands for Quest. Either way, you attacked enemies with hairballs and had to get ammo for them by finding dishes of cat food. The game in its demo state featured about 5 levels and 2 bosses, one of which was just a ball that bounced rather aggressively around the arena until you hit it with enough hairballs. The problem with this game wasn't necessarily that I got frustrated with it; I just realised one day that it looked kinda boring. I wasn't the best level designer (and I still can't design levels to save my life, I really, really need to work on that)
I vaguely remember my favourite level being one where the level scrolled vertically downwards as you try to escape a collapsing castle. That was pretty fun (and really, really hard.)

Tamayoshi +vance (2007 - 2008)-
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HO HO Wow did I try too hard with this one. I brought a fellow MFGGer on board (Raikyo, I believe?) to help with development but my GOD it was just so disorganized, I tried to develop multiple parts of the game at once and throw another dev into the mix and what do you get? A hot mess of development hell. There was also a really dopey story I'd conjured up for a story mode that never got implemented because again, I was in over my head. There was to be an online feature too, where you could battle other players Yoshis or go on Yoshi Walks together. It was definitely one of those that had I been skilled enough at the time, I think it'd have been a lovely little gem. Instead it was a crusty, buggy mess. A trailer was shown at the first NCFC and my god It is one of the most 2000s edgekid things you ever saw.

The Unnamed MFGG Game (2010?)-
We don't talk about cursed items. Simply put, this project was ditched (and so was my love of making games at the time) the moment my computer decided to have a hard drive failure that caused me to lose everything. At the time I had put together a simple demo showcasing off the characters abilities, and for the most part I was pretty pleased with it. There was a horribly cheese filled script to go with it as for some reason I thought voice acting would be a great idea. I had little setups for Yoshiman- who moved faster and jumped higher when he wasn't wielding his sword, Thunder Dragon- who for some reason fired electricity out of his mouth, Parakarry- could slide into small spaces in his shell as well as attack with it and float slowly back to the ground when he jumped, Shadowman- had an arm cannon and Retriever II had an explosive crossbow, I was ready to start building levels when everything went to hell. I kinda hurt pretty bad because of it and left MFGG shortly thereafter, I think out of shame at the time. The story had to do with fictional, dramatised events surrounding The Split.

I do wonder if I Invited the hard drive failure upon myself; as the legends used to say "Those that make an MFGG game are doomed to ultimately not release it."

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.