MFGG Forums
MFGG is 20 years old! - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: News and Events (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: MFGG is 20 years old! (/showthread.php?tid=2715)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

MFGG is 20 years old! - Mors - 07-09-2021

Today is a special day.

[Image: MFGG20th.png]

Thunder Dragon Wrote:7/9/01: YEAH! We're finally open! We don't have a heck of a lot at the moment, but if you have any Mario games or sprites, please send them in!

MFGG first opened its doors 20 years ago today, which means today is MFGG's 20th anniversary.

This is a huge moment for us. A lot has happened over the course of these 20 years, we went through multiple incidents of drama that caused endless arguments, we went through the initial takedown panic that scared people from making Mario fangames, we went through technical issues, raids, and many more things that made the future seem bleak, at least briefly.

Yet here we are, 20 years later, still alive, still kicking, just as active as ever. Sure, MFGG of today is completely different than what MFGG was back then, but we are here because of the same exact thing still: Our passion for the Mario franchise, and making fangames in general.

So yeah... Thank you guys. Thank you for making MFGG is the best fangaming community out there. I have only spent 11 years in this community, but I can safely say that most of those 11 years are filled with fun memories.

I hope to see you guys on the 30th anniversary as well! And remember kids, world 5 fails to have a Koopa-inhabited fortress at the end of it!

We also have the MFGG 20th Anniversary Time Capsule out now! If you wanna learn about it, click here!

Oh, also, those who wish MFGG a happy birthday today will receive an exclusive badge to commemorate the event. It's a tradition at this point.

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - Luigibonus - 07-09-2021

Happy birthday, MFGG! Also, finally decided to create a forum account. Big Grin

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - Vert - 07-09-2021

I hope that special something is a MFGG table top game. Happy birthday!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - Gate - 07-09-2021

Happy 20th anniversary, fellow MFGGers!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - SuperLuigiND4 - 07-09-2021

Happy Birthday MFGG!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - Noelle - 07-09-2021

Just made an account to leave a comment here. Honestly, I don’t think I’d be the person I am today if not for fangames, and this treasure trove of freeware gave me hours of entertainment in my younger days. The likes of Psycho Waluigi and Abducted Toad have impacted me more than most triple A games could hope to. Here’s to 20 more years!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - Gato - 07-09-2021

Happy 20th Anniversary, MFGG!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - MarioStar - 07-09-2021

Happy birthday 20th, MFGG!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - Kritter - 07-09-2021

Happy Birthday, twitter reminded me this place existed. I was 16 when I found this place, what a fun ride it was.

Well off I go again.

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - Flarewire - 07-09-2021

Happy 20th, MFGG!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - DoodlesYT - 07-09-2021

happy birthday, MFGG! Mario fan games will live on forever!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - Tech - 07-09-2021

Happy 20th Birthday MFGG!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - ShadowMan - 07-09-2021

Twenty years is a milestone for any internet community. Think about everything that's come and gone in the past twenty years. And think about all the tech startups that MFGG has outlived!

Remarkably, Fan Made Games HQ, the original host for MFGG, is still online, although the site hasn't been updated in nearly a decade. It's still lingering, like the exoskeleton husk that MFGG emerged from so many years ago. http://fanmade.emulationzone.org/

I didn't join MFGG until 2003, and it's surreal to think that when I first started, there were already dozens or perhaps hundreds of "oldbies." With two decades of distance, I'm clearly folded into that same category of old-timers, even though I was never part of the EZBread forums and I missed the Great Kyle Flamewar and everything else. The passage of time seems to compress those distances, so what once seemed like an eternity in the MFGG community is now just part of the long prologue to whatever form MFGG has taken today.

When I first started to back out of the MFGG community in 2007-2008, I was nervous that I would never truly be able to leave, that I would always have my association with the community looming over me. What's even more remarkable is that not only is MFGG still around, but that it's evolved and changed so much in the intervening decade that I'm no longer essential to the story. I don't recognize most of the names here now — and I'm sure the Discord is even more alien to me — and that seems like a healthy place for things to be.

The web goes hand-in-hand with ephemerality, websites slowly blinking out over time and links decaying as communities move on, technologies change, and the old houses fall apart from disuse. Even if the community isn't nearly as active as it was during the Klik heyday, the fact that MFGG is still here after twenty years is an incredible show of resiliency. That's not something that happens by accident.

At the very least, the fact that MFGG made it this far without being cease-and-desisted into oblivion is nothing short of a miracle. Congratulations!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - NostalgicFeels - 07-09-2021

happy birthday, mfgg.

now time to go log out and probably never use this forum account for another year.

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - LellyLL - 07-09-2021

Happy birthday Mario Fan Games Galaxy, you're almost allowed to drink in the US!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - Klug - 07-09-2021

Yay, happy 20th birthday, MFGG!!!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - Bully With a Hat - 07-09-2021

Happy Anniversary, MFGG!  I can't wait to see what the future holds for us!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - KrystalPhantasm - 07-09-2021

I may've not been part of this community for long, but damn do I feel at home even if I don't interact much. Happy 20th MFGG!

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - Langton - 07-09-2021

Happy 20th Birthday, MFGG!

Thank you for having given me a place to put my little Mario fangame back in 2013, as well as having a community alongside it! There's a lot of people I would not have met online if it wasn't for you.

RE: MFGG is 20 years old! - SonicKade2048 - 07-09-2021

happy birthday mfgg!

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.