MFGG Forums
Gaming medley used on the Tokyo Olympics openings ceremony - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Gaming medley used on the Tokyo Olympics openings ceremony (/showthread.php?tid=2744)

Gaming medley used on the Tokyo Olympics openings ceremony - captainkakarot64 - 07-26-2021

The openings ceremony surprisingly decided to use videogame music. That's so cool but I didn't know all of them. Dragon Quest was one of them and I recognized Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Sonic and I think the last one is supposed to be Mario but it's so different I barely recognized it.

RE: Gaming medley used on the Tokyo Olympics openings ceremony - Q-Nova - 07-26-2021

Wow, that sounds interesting! I suppose it makes sense that they're using video game music, since it takes place in Japan, the country where those games you just mentioned get made, along with their music.

RE: Gaming medley used on the Tokyo Olympics openings ceremony - GeneSu730 - 07-27-2021

I recognized mostly the music from Chrono Trigger. I'm just waiting for some right wing columnist to talk about how vulgar and immature the Japanese have become to use video game music during the Olympics opening ceremony.

RE: Gaming medley used on the Tokyo Olympics openings ceremony - GeneralGuy - 07-27-2021

Where's the Pokemon and Zelda music?

RE: Gaming medley used on the Tokyo Olympics openings ceremony - VinnyVideo - 07-27-2021

Here's the full list; I believe it's accurate.

The Chrono Trigger character themes (Frog and Robo) stood out the most for me! I didn't recognize all of the songs, and for the broadcast I watched, I'm sure many of the songs came on while NBC was on commercial break. Still, it was pretty cool, and the game music worked surprisingly well for the Parade of Nations.

The Dragon Quest overture was a fun surprise, too.

RE: Gaming medley used on the Tokyo Olympics openings ceremony - captainkakarot64 - 07-28-2021

(07-26-2021, 11:56 PM)Q-Nova Wrote: Wow, that sounds interesting! I suppose it makes sense that they're using video game music, since it takes place in Japan, the country where those games you just mentioned get made, along with their music.

I think it's very original to use video game music for the opening ceremony, never heard of such a thing before.

(07-27-2021, 12:09 AM)GeneSu730 Wrote: I recognized mostly the music from Chrono Trigger. I'm just waiting for some right wing columnist to talk about how vulgar and immature the Japanese have become to use video game music during the Olympics opening ceremony.

there's already someone on twitter whining that it's sexist Facepalm
(07-27-2021, 12:11 AM)GeneralGuy Wrote: Where's the Pokemon and Zelda music?

I missed it too Sad

(07-27-2021, 07:55 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: Here's the full list; I believe it's accurate.

The Chrono Trigger character themes (Frog and Robo) stood out the most for me! I didn't recognize all of the songs, and for the broadcast I watched, I'm sure many of the songs came on while NBC was on commercial break. Still, it was pretty cool, and the game music worked surprisingly well for the Parade of Nations.

The Dragon Quest overture was a fun surprise, too.

Thanks VinnyVideo, I think the "faster, higher, stronger, together" part just after the medley is maybe supposed
to be from Mario but I'm not sure which one or maybe it's just wishfull thinking from my part.

RE: Gaming medley used on the Tokyo Olympics openings ceremony - Damarioman - 07-28-2021

I had it on in the background, I was in the middle of something important at the time so I wasn't paying too much attention.
Then I heard the Final Fantasy theme.
I looked at the TV and was like: "Nah. Can't be. Must just be a similar sounding song."
Then a moment later I heard the victory fanfare, and that's the moment I realized they were playing video game music.

RE: Gaming medley used on the Tokyo Olympics openings ceremony - captainkakarot64 - 08-01-2021

(07-28-2021, 08:34 PM)Damarioman Wrote: I had it on in the background, I was in the middle of something important at the time so I wasn't paying too much attention.
Then I heard the Final Fantasy theme.
I looked at the TV and was like: "Nah. Can't be. Must just be a similar sounding song."
Then a moment later I heard the victory fanfare, and that's the moment I realized they were playing video game music.

Same thing except I heard it on some random talkshow and decided to watch the ceremony afterwards.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.