MFGG Forums
I have a problem. - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: I have a problem. (/showthread.php?tid=2753)

I have a problem. - Videogamejunkie443 - 08-05-2021

I've been dedicating all of my time to my fangame. I haven't really been doing anything else. My father says I need to get out of the house, but I'm worried that I'll spend too much time away from my game. Also, I want to know something. Do any of you fan game creators have jobs? If so, what are they?

RE: I have a problem. - Vert - 08-05-2021

I made fangames and make indie games now, that counts right? I'm a web dev.

Getting out of the house once in a while is definitely good for you. Spending all your time on a game is a good way to get burned out.

RE: I have a problem. - VinnyVideo - 08-05-2021

Balance, my friend! It's great that you're passionate about making games. It's a fun and rewarding activity - and it's a great introduction to programming if you want to turn this into a career!

I have a full-time job, yet the past year has been one of my most productive times I've ever had for making games. I've also gone on a long walk almost every day - that's been really helpful in clearing my mind after I've been staring at a screen all day. And while the pandemic has limited my social life, I've tried to make time to stay in touch with family and friends.

In the long run, you'll be more productive and more creative if you find the right balance - work hard on your games and personal projects when you're in the mood, but take the time to exercise, hang out with friends and family, eat nourishing food (don't subsist solely on Mountain Dew!), and stuff.

RE: I have a problem. - Luigibonus - 08-05-2021

It sounds weird, but spending less time on your game could actually make you more productive. If you take frequent breaks and do stuff like taking a walk, when you return you'll have more energy and able to do more work on your game in a shorter time.

RE: I have a problem. - GeneSu730 - 08-08-2021

I happen to be an electrical utility engineer.
I actually began my video game programming hobby back in 2004, after I graduated from college and was seriously underemployed. As I said to someone on this blog, I did not merely want to learn how to build a game but to learn how the professionals from Nintendo built their game systems and engines. At first, I aimed way too high. I was working with pseudo 3d graphics and trying to make a game with complicated AI like Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem. I also was crazy enough to learn assembler and DOS video game graphics. But of course I could not get anything done.

In 2009, I got an copy of Visual Studio and Direct X. The first successful game I made was a primitive run and gun similar to the Robocop arcade game. This was in 2010 - 2012. It took me more than a year to make one stinking stage.
I then made a little game similar to Legend of Zelda but I still had a tough time making stages.
In 2014, I finally made my own hack of Bubble Bobble. I created the libraries and level editor that I am now using for my Super Mario game.

I spent the first 6 months of the lockdown putting the final features on my Mario algorithm and collecting better graphics from sites like mfgg.net. The truth is that I wanted to build 40 stages by the end of 2021 but I only created 18 stages this year so far. I am suffering from quite a bit of burnout and not just from spending too much time from this hobby. I am a bit of a germaphobe and have gotten a really bad case of cabin fever throughout this winter. I feel like I have to go out to places like parks and malls to relax. I can't stay at home all day.

So go out. Leave your house. Enjoy life.
And get a job!

RE: I have a problem. - darkblueyoshi - 08-09-2021

Making fangames is good for you, but have a good work life balance -- don't force yourself when you get tired. I'm a full time web developer today because I used to spend time programming fangames, it's what motivated me. I think many MFGGers have developer jobs partially because we grew up here and enjoyed what we did.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.