MFGG Forums
COMPLETED Salaryman Shi - now on Steam/Nintendo eShop - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: COMPLETED Salaryman Shi - now on Steam/Nintendo eShop (/showthread.php?tid=2764)

Salaryman Shi - now on Steam/Nintendo eShop - Vert - 08-21-2021

Traverse colorful environments, battle strange creatures and master the power of your suitcases to... get to work on time? Salaryman Shi is a 2D platformer coming to Steam and Nintendo Switch where you play as the titular salaryman, Takeshi Shi, as you hurry to catch the bus to the office! Fifteen challenging levels stand between you and a paycheck, but fear not, as you have your trusty suitcases on your side.

[Image: 2J42Hk1.png] [Image: THlKkxt.png]

Salaryman Shi is a project me and DJ Coco have been cooking up over the past few months. It's a tiny bit inspired by the classic Mario games like 3 and World, as you can probably tell. You can try out thedemo either on Steam here or on Nintendo eShop. I'll keep this thread updated when I can, but you can also get updates on our Twitter or through the Discord!

[Image: czepkoH.png] [Image: ZO3LX1b.png]

Buy now:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1834950/Salaryman_Shi/
https://www.nintendo.com/en-ca/store/products/salaryman-shi-switch/

RE: Salaryman Shi - King Piranha Plant - 08-21-2021

This is awesome, I love seeing people evolve their love of fangaming to the next level, where the inspiration carries through once they're releasing fully original stuff. So far this game functions smoothly and is pretty fun to play. I love the original art and especially adored how the levels end with the bench breaking and the bus rolling in to pick Shi up.

However there are a couple constructive criticisms I should throw out there. One thing that stood out to me was how slow the game felt, it's as if you're constantly wishing the speed/flow would pick up - if there's any way to give Shi a little more top speed (not acceleration), that might help. There other issue is the suitcase is a little awkward and difficult to use. The 2nd suitcase attack especially (the one where he throws it like a boomerang) - it almost always brings the flow of the gameplay to a halt when I have to use it to access a higher platform. The suitcase sprite is way too small to jump on (the 1st attack had a bigger sprite that was much easier to land, but even that one could benefit from being bigger) and it's kind of awkward using it to climb high up. It also would help if the suitcase moved left and right slower. I always ended up having to throw a bunch of them until I could make the jump, as it's hard to keep up with it moving so fast and timing the leap just right.

RE: Salaryman Shi - Vert - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 02:07 PM)King Piranha Plant Wrote: This is awesome, I love seeing people evolve their love of fangaming to the next level, where the inspiration carries through once they're releasing fully original stuff. So far this game functions smoothly and is pretty fun to play. I love the original art and especially adored how the levels end with the bench breaking and the bus rolling in to pick Shi up.

However there are a couple constructive criticisms I should throw out there. One thing that stood out to me was how slow the game felt, it's as if you're constantly wishing the speed/flow would pick up - if there's any way to give Shi a little more top speed (not acceleration), that might help. There other issue is the suitcase is a little awkward and difficult to use. The 2nd suitcase attack especially (the one where he throws it like a boomerang) - it almost always brings the flow of the gameplay to a halt when I have to use it to access a higher platform. The suitcase sprite is way too small to jump on (the 1st attack had a bigger sprite that was much easier to land, but even that one could benefit from being bigger) and it's kind of awkward using it to climb high up. It also would help if the suitcase moved left and right slower. I always ended up having to throw a bunch of them until I could make the jump, as it's hard to keep up with it moving so fast and timing the leap just right.

Thanks for your feedback! I'll look into making the hitbox for the suitcases bigger. The flying suitcase already is kinda slow at a standstill though so I'm not sure what I could do with that one.

RE: Salaryman Shi - VinnyVideo - 08-21-2021

This was fun! At first I thought this was going to be one of those "Mario games just without Mario," but then I played it and I saw some unique gameplay and a very original theme for a game. There can't be too many platformers where you control a random Japanese guy trying to get to work on time!

I found the second level to be easier than the first level, since the second level doesn't have as many sections where you climb over a platform using your briefcases.

Should the garbage cans hurt Sparky whenever he touches them? To me, it would make more sense to have the garbage cans hurt him only when you throw them at him.

RE: Salaryman Shi - Vert - 08-21-2021

(08-21-2021, 02:52 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: This was fun! At first I thought this was going to be one of those "Mario games just without Mario," but then I played it and I saw some unique gameplay and a very original theme for a game. There can't be too many platformers where you control a random Japanese guy trying to get to work on time!

I found the second level to be easier than the first level, since the second level doesn't have as many sections where you climb over a platform using your briefcases.

Should the garbage cans hurt Sparky whenever he touches them? To me, it would make more sense to have the garbage cans hurt him only when you throw them at him.

Thanks!

The garbage cans hurt Sparky when you just hold them? I'll look into that.

RE: Salaryman Shi - VinnyVideo - 08-21-2021

@Vert Currently, the garbage cans hurt Sparky even if he touches a can that's just sitting on the ground.

RE: Salaryman Shi - Vert - 08-22-2021

(08-21-2021, 06:41 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: @Vert Currently, the garbage cans hurt Sparky even if he touches a can that's just sitting on the ground.

I think you're confused, I'm pretty sure you're describing his natural behavior. He shoots two balls when he's hit and one when he's attacking.

RE: Salaryman Shi - Roo - 08-22-2021

I'll echo most of the criticism posted already, and add that it's a bit weird to me how all the levels (or at least the first two) have time limits that go well below 100 on a regular playthrough. I will also do a "hot take" and say that the concept of lives is antiquated and should be done away with.

Other than that, it's pretty fun. Might pick it up when it releases.

RE: Salaryman Shi - Vert - 08-22-2021

(08-22-2021, 07:21 AM)Roo Wrote: I'll echo most of the criticism posted already, and add that it's a bit weird to me how all the levels (or at least the first two) have time limits that go well below 100 on a regular playthrough. I will also do a "hot take" and say that the concept of lives is antiquated and should be done away with.

Other than that, it's pretty fun. Might pick it up when it releases.

Thanks! You go below 100 seconds though? I made sure to make the time limits generous, I added 200 seconds on top of the time it took me to finish the levels at a leisurely pace. Maybe I should look into that...

RE: Salaryman Shi - Roo - 08-22-2021

I just replayed the first level, still collecting everything and killing every enemy, and managed to complete it with about 180 "seconds" remaining, so I'd say a 100 more instead of 200 would probably be a good compromise.

RE: Salaryman Shi - HellJumper - 09-05-2021

This looks very professionally made so far. Good work.

RE: Salaryman Shi - Vert - 10-30-2021

Salaryman Shi's new demo is now available to download at NCFC!

This new demo addresses the feedback we've gotten from last time. This includes:
- Added "are you sure" prompt when choosing new game
- Added tutorial signs to W1-1
- Increased flying suitcase speed
- Minor level design balance tweaks
- New boss graphics/music/sound
- Boss balance tweaks
- Translated end of world message
- Misc bug fixes and polish

RE: Salaryman Shi - Vert - 01-27-2022

Updated the OP. Guess which game is out on Steam and Nintendo eShop now as a demo?

RE: Salaryman Shi - demo out now on Steam/Nintendo eShop - Vert - 06-30-2022

[Image: SWGvFV5.png]
HEY HEY HEY WE RELEASED IT

Thanks for the feedback we've received, it's been very helpful. Hopefully the final game should be good.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.