MFGG Forums
DEMO Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: DEMO Super Mario Nation - Video Demo (/showthread.php?tid=2781)

Pages: 1 2

Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 10-07-2021

Dear Fans and Followers,
I have been a fan of the Super Mario series ever since my parents bought me an NES for Christmas more than 30 years ago. I have always dreamt of building my own Mario game one day. It was a dream that became more feasible after my studies of electrical engineering and computer programming in college.
For the last 5 years, I have created my own Super Mario game engine and level editor. There were ample resources on the Internet that allowed me to create my own version of the Super Mario algorithm. In the coming months, I will try to give as much credit to my sources as possible.
During the pandemic, I have tried to spend my free time on cultivating my video game programming hobby. For the last year, I have revamped my graphics and music and created 20 stages of my new game. For the last month, I have finally created a feature I did not have during my first phase - the overworld map where player selects the levels Mario will enter.
This video shows the first 3 stages of my game. There are still lots of bugs in my game. Heck, if you pay attention, you will be able to find a few in this video. However, with 90 to 95 percent of the game engine finally complete, I will concentrate less on adding new features and more on making gameplay presentable.

P.S. NEED HELP WITH EDITING VIDEO
As you can see, I have a lot of black area in my video on the right side and bottom. I don't know how it got there. Can someone help me get rid of it? I am using Microsoft Gamebar and never had this problem before. Does anyone know of some easy way to "crop" an area of the video so that I only see the video section and get rid of the black section and status bar and menu bar? I would prefer some method that is free, does not require a download, and will not load any adware or malware on my computer.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 10-09-2021

Much better quality video. All the black borders are removed.

Here are some of the credits for graphics and music.
Graphics:
Mario and Luigi transformations - AwesomeZack
Yoshi - A. J. Nitro
Backgrounds and Foregrounds - SuperSludgeBros, Valtteri, Evan F
Animated Tiles - Shikaternia
Enemies - Ton, AwesomeZack
Hammer Bros (not seen yet) - GeoShi
Koopalings - Sunsoft Dev

Music
World 1 - Grassland - Dave Phaneuf
Super Mario Underground Theme - Matthew Collinson
Airship Theme - Jay Reichard

If you see any of your work here, please let me know in the comments below so I can give you credit. Do not behave like a rude douchebag. I didn't keep track of all of the graphics and music I downloaded over the years.
If you have any suggestions for making this game better, please also put something in the comments. Once again, do not behave like a jerk. This game took me 5 years to make and I know that there are a lot of bugs and incomplete features.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - AveCoo - 10-13-2021

Looking good! Love the detail in the paralax in Yoshi's playground especially - it's all very visually pleasing with the flora and layers Smile The main music track is a bit grating however, if it's an original composition I'd for sure just swap out the instruments for something less "dreamy", it all feels a bit too ethereal and purgatory like. The engine looks really solid too! Those scene transitions look fantastic Smile

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 10-13-2021

Quote:if it's an original composition I'd for sure just swap out the instruments for something less "dreamy", it all feels a bit too ethereal and purgatory like. 

Music for worlds 1-1 and 1-3 is an original composition. I have a very old version of Direct Music with a very limited number of instruments. I wanted music that was a little more upbeat than the regular Mario tune.

Quote:The engine looks really solid too! Those scene transitions look fantastic

It took me 5 years to create this engine from C++. The only fly in my ointment is that my version of Direct Draw doesn't allow me to fade out to black the way it is done in the original Super Mario World on the SNES.

Thank you for the compliments, AveCoo!

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 11-16-2021

A new upload after I came back from vacation.

This video shows the 3 stages from the first world of my game. There are still lots of bugs in my game. Heck, if you pay attention, you will be able to find a few in this video, including a very unacceptable bug with Mario falling through the floor in a bonus stage.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 12-09-2021

This video shows the first 4 stages from the second world of my game, Mushroom Mountains. There are still lots of bugs in my game. Check out the Windy Woods to see a few cosmetic ones. Although I have to feel glad that I fixed the bug of Mario falling through the floor when he is on a donut lift.

World 2-1 Vineyard Valley
World 2-2 Ricochet Rock Range (Enjoy the Blue Yoshi. He took me two weeks to code).
World 2-3 Pipe Dream (I know I didn't show the regular exit. I needed two game plays in order to show all gems and when it was over, I just wanted to go to the next stage.)
World 2-4 Windy Woods (A toughie, especially if you want to get all the gems. If you want to comment about the bugs, please be polite about it.)

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 12-24-2021

This video shows the second 4 stages from the second world of my game, Mushroom Mountains. Enjoy the Ghost House and Hammer Suit. They took a month to code. Check out Stone Block Smash for an example of experimental (and flawed) stage design.

World 2-G Haunted Catacombs
World 2-5 A Game of Tag
World 2-6 Stone Block Smash
World 2-7 Curiosity Cliffs

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 01-19-2022

00:00 World 3 Punchbowl Sea
00:12 World 3-1 Blooper's Reef
06:33 World 3-2 Dolphin School
12:00 World 3-3 Sewer Sludge
19:16 World 3-G Sunken Ship

This video shows the first 4 stages from the third world of my game, the Punch Bowl Sea. Check on Red Yoshi, who can breathe fire.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 03-07-2022

This video shows the first 3 stages from the fourth world of my game, the Ice Cream Mountains. I wanted to get this winter themed video out before the end of the winter season. I know I kept dying in the first stage, due to my being tired last night. Note that Mario will slide down any icy slopes automatically.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 03-28-2022

This video shows the first 3 stages from the fourth world of my game, the Mirage Desert. I was deeply influenced by the Forest of Illusion from Super Mario World. Every stage in this world will have two exits. I used a lot of elements from Doki Doki Panic / Super Mario Bros 2 such as quicksand, spikes, the Cobrats, and the backgrounds from the SNES remake. I also recreated the Fire Snakes and the Angry Sun. Speaking about the Angry Sun, why didn't he appear in the New Super Mario series? Nintendo should have reused that gimmick.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - SuperSledgeBro - 03-29-2022

(03-07-2022, 09:12 PM)GeneSu730 Wrote:
This video shows the first 3 stages from the fourth world of my game, the Ice Cream Mountains. I wanted to get this winter themed video out before the end of the winter season. I know I kept dying in the first stage, due to my being tired last night. Note that Mario will slide down any icy slopes automatically.

Very nice that you took the time to make a controllable Lakitu's cloud like in Super Mario World.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 10-12-2022

It has been 7 months since my last upload. Please bear with me, as I have a full-time job and making this game is far more time consuming than I thought.

This video shows 4 more stages from the third world of my game, the Punch Bowl Sea. In World 3-4, I create an underwater stage that has wave blowing left and right. In World 3-5, I decided to create a Boss Bass that can swallow Mario whole. This stage was based on the Super Mario Bros 3 stages that had Boss Bass swimming back and forth, ready to swallow our plumber whole. The prime difference between my Boss Bass and the traditional version is that you can stomp on mine. Just be careful not to be eaten. Hopefully, one day, I will be able to create a Giant Piranha Plant that can also swallow Mario whole. Also, I feel a little vexed that my water level can't rise up and down. It's a feature that will have to be added to my game engine in the future... the far future.

For the special stage, I made it an underwater auto-scrolling stage filled with Boss Basses and Electro. Once again, this was based on the tremendously difficult SMB3 level 7-4. For the military stage, I decided to design a submarine with the difficult to avoid Torpedo Teds as hazardous obstacles.

I know I died more than a few times during my gameplay. I designed these stages in the spring and early summer and forgot the layout of the stages. I even had to look at my guide to remember where some of the gems were. It's just like the times when I would sneak a peek at Nintendo Power in order to cheat as a kid. Smile

If you like my demos, give me upvotes and subscribe to me. You might even contact me in the comments if you want to play test the game yourself.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - VinnyVideo - 10-16-2022

Sounds cool! If you just want the water level to rise and fall (without affecting other objects), all you need is an Alarm event that changes the water object's vspeed every few steps. Gatete's engine has an example of this, as I recall.

Of course, if you have lots of objects floating in the water, this could become more complex.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 10-16-2022

Dear Vinny:

I have seen videos of water in Super Mario World. I might use that model instead. However, coding each feature of the Mario algorithm has been a grueling, headache-inducing, time-consuming challenge. I think I have coded 85% of the enemies and feature from SMB1, 60% of the features from SMB3, and 50% of the features from SMW. If you look at my videos, you will notice that I have not yet coded a platform that can move along some sort of wire track. This has been the ultimate mainstay of Mario platforming since SMB3. So I still have some ways to go before I get to the finish line.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 11-09-2022

Dear Fans and Followers,
I have been a fan of the Super Mario series ever since my parents bought me an NES for Christmas more than 30 years ago. I have always dreamt of building my own Mario game one day. It was a dream that became more feasible after my studies of electrical engineering and computer programming in college.
For the last 5 years, I have created my own Super Mario game engine and level editor. There were ample resources on the Internet that allowed me to create my own version of the Super Mario algorithm. In the coming months, I will try to give as much credit to my sources as possible.
During the pandemic, I have tried to spend my free time on cultivating my video game programming hobby. For the last year, I have revamped my graphics and music and created 38 stages of my new game. I am now confident that even if I don't build the 80 stages I originally planned to build, I will have a playable game by the end of 2023 (or at least the beginning of 2024).
Here is the trailer for my game. I made it because some promoters wanted to showcase my game.
P.S. Can someone help me with the quality of the music? The Midi to MP4 conversion didn't seem to work too well.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 11-27-2022

00:09 World 4 Mirage Desert
00:30 World 4-4 Magic Carpet Ride
03:40 World 4-5 Ride the Sandstorm
07:38 World 4-M Iggy's Airship

Boy oh boy oh boy oh boy. I didn't expect to have to spend a whole gosh darn hour of my Thanksgiving weekend to prep this 10-minute video. What is with Microsoft Gamebar? I don't like black borders on my video so I set my computer resolution to 800 x 600. Except the first video I made had horrible video and sound quality. It sounded like metal nails scratching on a gosh darn chalk board. So I recorded another video on the default resolution of 1920 x 1280. The video quality was much better except now I had those annoying black borders again! It took me a little less than a half hour but I found out that Adobe Express can easily remove those black borders with their online video editor. Now why didn't I think of using them a year ago when I first had this problem.

This video shows 3 more stages from the fourth world of my Mario Game, Mirage Desert. For the first stage, I wanted to build a stage with platforms that would fall when Mario steps on them. That has been a staple of Mario games since World 1-4 in SMB3. However, I never liked how all of Mario's platforms were always a generic wooden or metal plank. So I decided to use the magic carpet sprite from SMB2.
I decided to experiment some more with wind in the second stage. I also wanted to show more Ice Mario action, freezing tar, as well as blue Yoshi flying.
For Iggy's airship, I created the firebars and screw platforms that Mario will fall off of when he steps on them. I have a feeling there is something wrong with my Koopalings algorithm. After I finish my planned 60 stages (I have complete 40 stages as of this time) and code the other non-boss enemies (most notably Chain Chomp and the Hammer Bros), I need to examine the Koopaling code and possibly redesign it.

If you like my demos, give me upvotes and subscribe to me. You might even contact me in the comments if you want to play test the game yourself.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 12-21-2022

I got a lot of feedback for my game demos on several Mario fangame websites such as MFGG and SMWCentral. They pointed out that my Mario seems to move not as smooth and is quite janky. Is that so? In any case, I spent the last two weeks tweaking the Mario algorithm. My Mario now moves more in accordance with Super Mario Bros 3. Please tell me if the animation and movement looks smother.
For demonstrations, I had 2 runs through a World 1 level - Ferocious Forest. This features Piranha Plants, Venus Fire traps, and Munchers. If I wasn't careless, I would have gotten the Yellow gem at the end.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 01-22-2023

This video shows 3 more stages from the fifth world of my game, the Ice Cream Mountains. I wanted to get this video out during the Christmas holidays but I started work on these three stages too late (in November). It taught me that if you want to make a Christmas Mario hack , you have to start on it early. I wanted to experiment with some crazy stage mechanics such as wind and snowflakes in an ice stage.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 03-26-2023

I was hoping to complete my game by the end of 2023 but I don't think I will, despite having 46 stages completed. In any case, I completed another big milestone shown at the end of this video. I have actually began programming the Koopalings in 2021. However, after the Koopaling fight, there was no victory cutscene nor any return to the overworld map. Now, after beating a Koopaling, you will rescue a Toad, who will give you a familiar message.

RE: Super Mario Nation - Video Demo - GeneSu730 - 02-29-2024

It has been 10 months since I last uploaded a video. I have been way too busy with other things in my life. Also, I wanted to code a few more features and revamp my stage map design, which felt a little unpolished. With 63 stages and 6 worlds complete, I am hoping that I finally finish making this game by mid-2024.
World 6 is going to be called Mario Megalopolis. I always felt that Mario, a Brooklyn native who has held jobs as a construction worker and plumber, should explore an urban world as well as the traditional grasslands, deserts, arctic wastes, etc. I decided to have some stages as factories and used the original Super Mario theme.
As I already said, I redesigned the map using a tile design similar to Super Mario World. Thanks to SuperSludgeBros for the tile set. I also coded in the third stage a rail platform, the overused staple of the Mario games since Super Mario Bros 3. The background for the factories came from SMB2 and SMA4. I designed these stages last spring. I am surprised that I remembered the locations of most secrets and gems. Please give me feedback.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.