MFGG Forums
Stuff you did in 2021 - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Stuff you did in 2021 (/showthread.php?tid=2817)

Stuff you did in 2021 - VinnyVideo - 12-31-2021

At long last, we have reached the end of 2021 - also known as "2020 without the really good memes."

I don't know if anyone cares about the MFGG forums anymore, but in case someone does, I can't let a year go by without making this topic!

Real Life Stuff I Did
  • Made some positive progress with work
  • Got better about being active - I'm averaging about 10,000 steps per day, something I never thought I'd do
  • Got fully vaccinated and stayed healthy the whole year
  • Cleared out a high percentage of the miscellaneous backlog items I'd been neglecting forever
  • Read for fun a little more often

MFGG/Creative Stuff I Did
  • Made decent progress on Career Fantasy
  • Worked on an indie platformer project
  • Made a dumb (but reasonably accurate) football simulator in HTML/JavaScript
  • Finished Groose-Strich 2016, a really corny fangame I started in 2016 and never bothered to finish
  • Finished an updated version of Cheerwine Deluxe 3 with six new "DLC" levels that incorporate Stop 'n Swop functionality
  • Released an updated version of Marioy 2 with four new "DLC" levels
  • Updated a few things in Satilla Composite, which was included in the MFGG 20th Anniversary pack
  • Updated other prehistoric fangames, including Daisy: Redneck Cowgirl, D-S 2008, and D-S 2012
  • Did a little bit of musical composition/arranging
  • Learned about using GPT-2

Stuff I Didn't Do
  • Didn't draw much
  • Didn't start smoking
  • Didn't turn a monarch into an Albatoss
  • Didn't move to Albania
  • Didn't adopt a pet anteater

RE: Stuff you did in 2021 - Hyper - 01-02-2022

2021 was the biggest year of my life changes. Here are what I have done.

Real-life stuff I've done:
  • [Major career change] I left customer support and was hired as a software engineer (I was part of the great career shift of 2021)
  • Fixed most of my dental issues. Unfortunately, it costs me around $5000-6000
  • Raised my credit score from 580 to 740
  • Renting an entire house with another roommate, I am planning to save up for a mortgage
  • Joined a car group

Creative stuff I've done:
  • Finished building several ReactJS websites for clients
  • Did a few random drawings
  • Mastered Typescript. Learned Java and GraphQL
  • Started the MFGG CMS software: LumaSMS. So far I've got the user system finished

Stuff I didn't do:
  • Building any games
  • Grow my online presence
  • Invest into index funds

Plans for 2022:
  • Finish LumaSMS and launch it for MFGG
  • Complete my dental fixes, have my health checked, and get a new pair of glasses
  • Rebuild my car's engine and mod it
  • Start Regular Toad Game 2
  • Master Java. Learn C++ and/or C#
  • Have few cross country trips
  • Get a cat
  • Get into a relationship

RE: Stuff you did in 2021 - Vert - 01-02-2022

Real stuff

Got a new job. A good one this time! I like the work and my colleagues so I hope I can hold onto it.

Creative stuff

Started working on a new game idea I had with DJ Coco, and it's getting close to launch now. Feels exciting to make my "own" game this time.

Things I didn't do

Catch up on my backlog Whoops!. I have too many fncking games.

Plans for the future

Start working on my dream game. I'm not quite sure how I'll pull this one off yet when I can't program worth a lick. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a programmer, because otherwise I'm SOL. Maybe I can make it in HTML5 or something.

RE: Stuff you did in 2021 - Mors - 01-02-2022

Ooh yeah

Real Life Stuff
  • it's a secret to everybody...
MFGG / Fangaming Related
  • Released Super Mario 64 Plus. I honestly wasn't expecting it to blow up as much as it did, its trailer got like 400k views on YouTube and a bunch of likes on Twitter. I'd say that my decision to host it on MFGG paid off as it really ended up bringing a lot of traffic to the site too!
  • In addition, I got to release multiple updates for it within the year.
  • Hosted our 3rd game jam (technically 4.5th but shhh). It was alright, it got 14 submissions and some pretty fun games.
  • Released the MFGG 20th Anniversary Capsule, with a brand new demo of Midas Machine. The reception was really good so I'm really happy with it too. I actually wanted to continue Midas Machine after that but... I mean look at how long this list is lol
  • Co-hosted NCFC for the first time. It was also alright, there weren't that many games but the streams and the bigger focus on community made it overall more enjoyable than past years.
  • Hosted a 4th game jam as well, with 38 submissions (not counting around 10 removed) it was our biggest. Really happy with this one too!
  • Helped Hypernova with LumaSMS development a little bit, and came up with a lot of concepts for MFGG 3.0. Really excited to see it finally become a thing.
Game Development / Programming Related
  • Started the year by messing around in Unreal Engine 4, and made some basic platformer experiments. I made similar stuff in Unity later in the year too.
  • Joined the 48th Ludum Dare and released Grapple Tongue. The game was a bit rushed and didn't perform well in the jam at all, but I ended up polishing it up and truly finishing it post-jam. I managed to get some licensing deals out of it, and it even won a contest hosted by Opera so that's nice.
  • Made some mods and a mod loader for Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD and Banana Mania. It was out of my comfort zone but learned quite a lot from it.
  • Made progress on my game engine, got to mess around with Dear ImGui, and learn how it works.
  • Joined Dormiveglia as the project's lead programmer and got to start rewriting the game's code from scratch.
  • Joined a game jam hosted by Opera and managed to actually win it, despite having a lot of IRL troubles at the time. As a result of this, I got to work with Opera (who are also the owners of Yoyo Games) directly and my game got added to the Opera GX browser as the offline game.
  • Wrote an NES emulator in C#. The compatibility isn't perfect, so is the performance, but most major games work without any issues! There's just... no audio lol
  • Made some progress on a potential Operius sequel.
  • Wrote a bytecode compiler and interpreter / VM for my own programming language, using some of the knowledge I learned from the NES emulator. Still a WIP.
  • Started brainstorming for my next indie project. It won't be anything major but that's all I can say.
Stuff I Didn't Do
  • Didn't release a new Flashback demo. I actually didn't do much progress on it in general, it was a very busy year.
  • Didn't host Mario vs. the World.
  • Didn't finish Spectral Escape... Development hell lol
  • Couldn't release anything for the 49th Ludum Dare.
Plans For 2022
  • Keep the streak of productivity going.
  • Finish and release that indie project I was talking about.
  • Also release Spectral Escape.
  • Release a demo for Dormiveglia.
  • Host more jams.
  • Join more jams.
  • Host Mario vs. the World.
  • At the very least do progress on Flashback lol
  • Play more... vidja gaems
  • Maybe learn a new skill.
Ended up accomplishing a lot of stuff this year in terms of creative ventures, and I'm probably forgetting to mention a few things here. We will see how 2022 will go as well!

RE: Stuff you did in 2021 - Luigibonus - 01-02-2022

This year has been mostly indoors for me for... reasons, so not much on the real life category happened. But it did allow me to be really productive with my projects.

Real Life Stuff
  • Continued my tradition of taking daily walks as much as I could. I'm quite skinny already, but I mostly do it since walks are also very good for the mind.
  • Went to visit a ton of areas with gorgeous nature throughout the years, including those in other countries. Yes, the Netherlands can be beautiful despite being flat Wink
  • Became yet another year older

Fan-game & programming related stuff
  • Released the 1.0 of Yoshi's Fabrication Station, my Yoshi's Island level editor, at the start of the year Big Grin This is also what the majority of my productivity went towards this year.
  • Released 2 major updates for the editor during the rest of the year, focusing on YI essentials & palettes.
  • Made Yoshi's Gameland, which was my first jam game, and therefore way too ambitious. It was supposed to have Yoshi team up with other gaming icons. It did end up with 2 completed levels however, featuring Kirby!
  • Made Shark Chomp Run for the recently completed winter jam, which was a ton simpler than my previous jam game, but it allowed me to focus and polish the gameplay really well. It is an endless runner where Mario or Toad is being chased by a huge Chomp!
  • Made a Discord bot for sharing levels made in Yoshi's Fabrication Station and Super Mario 127, and acts as a placeholder until our level sharing website is complete.
  • Made a bunch of Yoshi's Island levels! 10 in total, to be exact!

Stuff I Didn't Do
  • Finish the website intended for sharing SMC, YFS and SM127 levels. I really want to at least launch the 1.0 in 2022!

Plans For 2022
  • Give my older Mario level editor a major overhaul. It's very rusty right now!
  • Ship at least 2 more major updates for YFS.
  • Stay hyped for the holiday season of the year. Sonic Frontiers and Mario Movie... 2 products that will either be really good or really bad. Either way, it's gonna be a great season. Wink

RE: Stuff you did in 2021 - Evil Yoshi Toes - 01-03-2022

Very nice to read about what everyone’s been up to! My 2021 was a mix of good and bad, but after writing down everything I realize that it’s actually quite a good year for me. Stressful, but I feel like my life has meaning again, which I was missing after graduating college.

Real-life stuff I've done:
  • Got into a great relationship.
  • Got my first full time design job.
  • Switched to part time though to pursue a much more promising career path in UI design.
  • Became a less selfish person I think.
  • Learned to appreciate cats.

Creative stuff I've done:
  • Taking a UI class! It’s pretty fun and I’m getting better and better at it.

Stuff I didn't do:
  • Not much drawing or illustrating. I’m looking forward to finishing my course so I can get back to doing that on my free time.
  • get a job that satisfies me, but I’m working toward it.
  • Move out of my parents’ house. I still can’t afford it, but I’m working toward that through my education and career change.

Plans for 2022:
  • Get a good job in UI that gives me financial independence.
  • Move out.
  • Get back to drawing when I have the time.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.