MFGG Forums
Looking for recommendations for newcomer friendly fangames. - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Looking for recommendations for newcomer friendly fangames. (/showthread.php?tid=2821)

Looking for recommendations for newcomer friendly fangames. - EchoBaz - 01-05-2022

Been playing a lot of fangames lately, eager to hear what the best ones are that are very newcomer friendly. Looking for stuff that's either easy, or not too hard.

Here's some of my faves, and some that I just really really really like:

Jonbound: Dark Future(Earthbound "mod" The one that made me fall in love with fangames. Sure wish I could find it again.)

Princess Quest Part 1(Just went through this game today, and wrote a review It's now my favorite Mario Fangame. It's what I always wanted, Mario characters with 3 dimensional, mostly serious personalities.)

Mario is Missing! Done Right(Started it today, god it's fun!)

Um...(this really popular Sonic fangame that takes place between the genesis Sonic 1 and 2, where Sonic meets Tails.)

The Legend of Zelda Remastered(God this was fun.)

Zelda 2: Ocarina of Time(Don't have any love for 3d Zelda or Mario, but Zelda 2 is my fave Zelda title. Halfway through this, god it's good! Eager to find more great Zelda 2 "mods" that aren't too hard.)

A LOT of Super Mario World "mods." that aren't too hard.

Edit: I'm sorrry, I should have mentioned this. I can't really play manys platformers very well without a controller. I used an xbox controller with Princess Quest, so if it's a MUCH older game I can't handle it. I tried playing Toad strikes back, but god I can't do very well in the game at all. I might able to handle it however if it uses WSAD to move, and some letter keys on the right to jump/attack etc.

RE: Looking for recommendations for newcomer friendly fangames. - Evil Yoshi Toes - 01-05-2022

You can go with some of the classics on MFGG. The pretty much universal favorite is Psycho Waluigi and Thunder Dragons two other games, Toad Strikes Back and Toadette Strikes Back. They’re all pretty easy and very well done fan games.

Another classic is Paper Bowser World. It’s a little dated, but it’s a short fun game. It has two sequels as well. The third is good. The second is ok.

Some of my favorite fan games are Super Mario and the Pearls of Wisdom and Super Mario and the Sacred Bells, both made by the same guy I think. They have a very charming fan gamey feel while still being pretty polished and fun.

Super Mario Stardust is an older game that holds up well and is considered one of the best games on MFGG.

Súper Mario RPG the five pendants (I think that’s the name) is made by the same guy who made Princess Quest, and it’s pretty fun and interesting from what I remember. It’s not very easy though. It can be pretty frustrating at times.

If you’re willing to play a very very short and pretty crappy game, play Yoshi vs Windows. That’s probably one of our most iconic games. It’s cute and silly and can give you an idea of what fan games used to be like.

Súper Mario Dimensions is a really good one if you’re looking for a fun platformer with a gimmick.

I’ll add any more if I remember, but for now I hope this helps get you started. Keep in mind that I haven’t played many fan games in the past few years, so most of these are fan games I grew up with. Fan games used to be pretty different, so keep an open mind if you try these, especially some of the older games. I mostly stuck to more traditional games though.

Edit:: i added bold text to the names so you don’t have to read all my other words if you’d rather not.

RE: Looking for recommendations for newcomer friendly fangames. - VinnyVideo - 01-05-2022

As EYT mentioned, if you enjoyed Princess Quest, I highly recommend Legend of the Five Pendents - that's another great fangame made by Dragmire.

RE: Looking for recommendations for newcomer friendly fangames. - EchoBaz - 01-06-2022

(01-05-2022, 09:47 AM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: You can go with some of the classics on MFGG. The pretty much universal favorite is Psycho Waluigi and Thunder Dragons two other games, Toad Strikes Back and Toadette Strikes Back. They’re all pretty easy and very well done fan games.

Another classic is Paper Bowser World. It’s a little dated, but it’s a short fun game. It has two sequels as well. The third is good. The second is ok.

Some of my favorite fan games are Super Mario and the Pearls of Wisdom and Super Mario and the Sacred Bells, both made by the same guy I think. They have a very charming fan gamey feel while still being pretty polished and fun.

Super Mario Stardust is an older game that holds up well and is considered one of the best games on MFGG.

Súper Mario RPG the five pendants (I think that’s the name) is made by the same guy who made Princess Quest, and it’s pretty fun and interesting from what I remember. It’s not very easy though. It can be pretty frustrating at times.

If you’re willing to play a very very short and pretty crappy game, play Yoshi vs Windows. That’s probably one of our most iconic games. It’s cute and silly and can give you an idea of what fan games used to be like.

Súper Mario Dimensions is a really good one if you’re looking for a fun platformer with a gimmick.

I’ll add any more if I remember, but for now I hope this helps get you started. Keep in mind that I haven’t played many fan games in the past few years, so most of these are fan games I grew up with. Fan games used to be pretty different, so keep an open mind if you try these, especially some of the older games. I mostly stuck to more traditional games though.

Edit:: i added bold text to the names so you don’t have to read all my other words if you’d rather not.

(01-05-2022, 06:21 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: As EYT mentioned, if you enjoyed Princess Quest, I highly recommend Legend of the Five Pendents - that's another great fangame made by Dragmire.

I'm sorrry, I should have mentioned this. I can't really play manys platformers very well without a controller. I used an xbox controller with Princess Quest, so if it's a MUCH older game I can't handle it. I tried playing Toad strikes back, but god I can't do very well in the game at all. I might able to handle it however if it uses WSAD to move, and some letter keys on the right to jump/attack etc.

RE: Looking for recommendations for newcomer friendly fangames. - EchoBaz - 10-15-2022

(01-06-2022, 10:02 AM)EchoBaz Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 09:47 AM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: You can go with some of the classics on MFGG. The pretty much universal favorite is Psycho Waluigi and Thunder Dragons two other games, Toad Strikes Back and Toadette Strikes Back. They’re all pretty easy and very well done fan games.

(01-05-2022, 06:21 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: As EYT mentioned, if you enjoyed Princess Quest, I highly recommend Legend of the Five Pendents - that's another great fangame made by Dragmire.

I'm sorrry, I should have mentioned this. I can't really play manys platformers very well without a controller. I used an xbox controller with Princess Quest, so if it's a MUCH older game I can't handle it. I tried playing Toad strikes back, but god I can't do very well in the game at all. I might able to handle it however if it uses WSAD to move, and some letter keys on the right to jump/attack etc.

I never got a reply to this.

RE: Looking for recommendations for newcomer friendly fangames. - VinnyVideo - 10-16-2022

Most games made in Clickteam tools (including TSB) allow you to change the controls.

If the File menu isn't visible, the Ctrl-Y key combination will usually pull up the control customization screen. This'll let you remap the arrow keys to WASD (or vice versa).

RE: Looking for recommendations for newcomer friendly fangames. - EchoBaz - 11-29-2022

Thanks!

RE: Looking for recommendations for newcomer friendly fangames. - Anuks - 12-08-2022

Paper Bowser World in fact, it is a direct parody of the Bowser platforming stages from that game

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.