MFGG Forums
COMPLETED Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush (2.0 update out now! Also at NCFC!) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: COMPLETED Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush (2.0 update out now! Also at NCFC!) (/showthread.php?tid=2903)

Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush (2.0 update out now! Also at NCFC!) - OssieTheOstrich - 07-22-2022

Here is a little fan game I had been working on recently and now feel like showcasing on the forums.

[Image: DdAhUk4.png]

[Image: qaCsxyc.png][Image: y2WNpGG.png][Image: phPuIMa.png]
[Image: iEzGa8i.png][Image: j149cyF.png][Image: lhUtW36.png][Image: 7LrFu2u.png][Image: cfbYLiV.png][Image: LjIjJMQ.png][Image: Ym5wq4E.png][Image: VAOVLwu.png][Image: pidACtM.png][Image: vln8xeo.png][Image: svrURZA.png][Image: p6lOwvo.png]

Plot: Mario is invited to Peach's Castle for a grand celebration of some sorts. When he has almost arrived, Kamek appears out of no where and zaps him far away to a random location. Now Mario has to make his way back while going through some unusual worlds with folks who seem to have a bone to pick with him.

Development History: I was inspired to make this fangame when I was reading about a trilogy of games on the MFGG wiki called "The Miraculous Boss Battle", a very poorly made series of games made by MFGG user "awesomeface".

A long while after that, I made some little doodles of a Mario 3 styled boss rush game, but I didn't properly start development on it until June 4th of last year, though I stopped development on it as I was busy with some important personal life stuff. Sometime after I had released another version of my Angry Birds fangame "Angry Birds Slingshot Frenzy", I didn't really feel like working on that fangame for a while, and I really didn't feel like resuming work on Super Mario Generations, so I decided to resume development on this project again around either April or June 2022.

The name of the fangame came about where I was trying to make the title sound slightly mundane and unique, with the short fangame "Luigi Takes a Walk" also being an inspiration for the name.

Fast forward to now, and I've recently released the v2.0 update of the game, featuring a unlockable Plus Mode and playable Luigi after beating the main game with all Special Coins collected.

Click on the photos to download the specific version you need. Also these are Windows versions.

64-bit (x64) version:
[Image: mM55tSH.png]

32-bit (x86) version:
[Image: fPBn1KD.png]

OLDER VERSIONS (EDIT: currently not available due to link issues)

Controls:
Z: Run / Fire / Pickup / Select level
X: Jump / Float (as Bunny Mario/Luigi)
Enter: Pause / Select
Arrow Keys: Move / Move Menu Options

You can remap the controls in-game.
Credits are in the ending as well as being in a the README.txt file (it also includes Plus Mode instructions).

Note: Most of the music is from Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario Maker 1/2, while others are from fan remixes (which I have given proper credit). Also, some sprites from Super Mario Generations are reused and edited for this fangame as I wanted the characters to be mostly modern looking.

RE: Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush - Roo - 07-24-2022

Looks and sounds interesting. I'd gladly try it out.

As a random side note, while I don't like to toot my own horn very much, I'm pretty sure awesomeface was inspired by Boss, a (very bad) game I released like a month before the first Miraculous Boss Battle game, so I suppose I technically inspired this game as well. Small world, innit.

RE: Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush - OssieTheOstrich - 07-25-2022

Alright, here is it released (NOTES: Click on the photos to download the specific version you need. Also these are Windows versions):

x64 version:
[Image: mario3bossrush_thumbnail_x64.png]

x86 version:
[Image: mario3bossrush_thumbnail_x86.png]

Controls:
Z: Run / Fire / Pickup / Select level
X: Jump
Enter: Pause / Select
Arrow Keys: Move / Move Menu Options

Credits are in the ending as well as being a .txt file.
(07-24-2022, 03:54 AM)Roo Wrote: Looks and sounds interesting. I'd gladly try it out.

As a random side note, while I don't like to toot my own horn very much, I'm pretty sure awesomeface was inspired by Boss, a (very bad) game I released like a month before the first Miraculous Boss Battle game, so I suppose I technically inspired this game as well. Small world, innit.

You know the funny thing is that I became aware of your game "Boss" while I was trying to find awesomeface's games. Laughing

RE: Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush (2nd release upcoming) - OssieTheOstrich - 08-31-2022

So, thanks to both @Roo and @SuperSledgeBro's recent review of the game on the main site, I'm planning on doing a small update which'll fix a few bugs and do some slight changes to the levels, either design or artistic wise.

First up, some artistic stuff. The Angry Birds level will now be tweaked to more "Angry Birds" like, with a level BG resembling the first episode of the original game.
[Image: mario3bossrush_roviolevel_after.png]

In another artistic change that I am kinda still thinking about is changing the Hilda level to be at evening or night.
[Image: mario3bossrush_trolberglevel_after.png]
The rock enemies in the source material don't move in the day, which is why I am considering the time of day change.

Now for the programming related stuff:

The bosses will now have invincibility frames, so now they'll be a bit more challenging (hopefully)
[Image: mario3bossrush_bossdamagetimer.gif]
And now you won't be able to cheese the bosses.
[Image: mario3bossrush_cheesingfix.gif]

Other changes such as the checkpoint fix and some other misc will be done at some other point, along with possibly doing some more drastic level design changes, with this whole update being a "Pre-Sequel" one.

Yes thats right, I'm doing a sequel to this.

RE: Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush (2.0 update upcoming, feedback demo released) - OssieTheOstrich - 04-28-2023

I've released the feedback demo for the game's 2.0 update.

2.0 FEEDBACK DEMO 2 (will edit this later with newer icons):
64-bit (x64) version:
[Image: mario3bossrush_thumbnail_x64.png]

32-bit (x86) version:
[Image: mario3bossrush_thumbnail_x86.png]

This update includes:
-BUG FIXES
-Various tweaks to the art, level design, enemies, bosses and more
-a Plus Mode featuring harder enemies, bosses, and a playable Luigi! (to access it you have to collect all the Special Coins in the levels, and then you'll see a different cutscene after beating Bowser)
-customisable controls, gamepad support, and the option to change how Bunny Mario/Luigi works
-a save feature
-and some other stuff that I can't list here atm

Once again, this is a feedback demo (for bug reports and suggestions), so it isn't the fully finished version. Once that is done, I will not only release that version here but also post it on the MFGG main site.

RE: Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush (2.0 update upcoming, feedback demo released) - OssieTheOstrich - 05-23-2023

Quick Update: The 2.0 "Pre-Sequel" update will likely be out in June.

That is all.

RE: Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush (2.0 update upcoming, feedback demo released) - OssieTheOstrich - 08-14-2023

(05-23-2023, 10:24 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote: Quick Update: The 2.0 "Pre-Sequel" update will likely be out in June.

That is all.
Well, that aged poorly.

The update will now likely be out by August or September (hopefully the former). It all depends on my program license being renewed.

RE: Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush (2.0 update out now!) - OssieTheOstrich - 10-09-2023

ALRIGHT FELLAS I'VE RELEASED THE 2.0 UPDATE, LET'S-A GO!
[Image: Y0iWgYv.png]

64-bit (x64) version:

32-bit (x86) version:

RE: Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush (2.0 update out now!) - OssieTheOstrich - 10-24-2023

(10-09-2023, 09:44 AM)OssieTheOstrich Wrote: ALRIGHT FELLAS I'VE RELEASED THE 2.0 UPDATE, LET'S-A GO!
[Image: Y0iWgYv.png]

64-bit (x64) version:

32-bit (x86) version:
I'm really sorry for not mentioning it in this post but @Luigibonus helped me with getting the game up to date and exported for this release. Many thanks to him, seriously.

By the way, in response to a review of this version by Bstudios on the main site, I'm probably going to put out a small "v2.1" patch/update. It'll take a while to come out but I hope to get it out while NCFC is going on.
Edit: Scratch that, It'll probably be out when the sequel comes out, which'll take a while..

RE: Mario's slightly Unusual Boss Rush (2.0 update out now! Also at NCFC!) - OssieTheOstrich - 11-04-2023

I'm really not one to make double posts (or is it triple posts in this case), but recently MsUBR has been showcased in the 2023 Nintendo Community Fangame Convention live-stream by @ReinlynxPSI, alongside various other games like October Ordeal, Super Mario Bros. Friends, Gatoslip and more.

Note: this is part two of the stream which contains my entry (at the 20 minute mark)

In the stream some points of critique were dropped, but the ones that stuck out to me the most were that the DK level was a bit too difficult to traverse, getting a gameover and restarting brings you back to a checkpoint flag (if you triggered it), Mario controls fairly weirdly (which is something that apparently either varies from person-to-person or the optimising of the code is utterly broken and I simply didn't notice), and finally, the remapping of the controls is not easily understandable because I didn't convey it at all in-game.

Now, for those having a little trouble with remapping the controls, here is a guide on how to exactly do it in the v2.0 version:
Step 1: Hover the selection arrow over the key you want to remap (in this case, the Run key. which is currently “Z”)
Step 2: Press the CTRL key, and then the Run key will now be displayed as a blank space.
Step 3: Press any key to set as the newly chosen Run key (like for example, “S”)

I know, this is probably a bit convoluted, so when I plan to update the game (again) I will probably replace it with something similar to what @Gate does in his own fangame engines (Remap all the controls in a sequence with a popup menu, IIRC). The sequels will also have this change added as well.

Now, when will the possible changes will be added? Probably not in the near future, as I'm kinda sick of the first entry and would like to move on to the sequel. The update will likely come out once the second entry releases (either a demo or the full game).

Also keep in mind, my license for Construct 3 has still not been renewed, so at this point you guys probably should be hyped about some of the other promising games on this place.

I'm a bit tired, honestly. Probably should've thought of that before I went all systems go on the idea of "make a trilogy + spin-off and have those be your fangaming send off, at least in the Mario/Sonic sense".

EDIT: So part 3 of the event came out and Rein decided to replay some of the entries, and mine was played in full this time, even getting all the Special Coins (mostly because I asked him too but yeah):

A couple of additional bugs were brought up which I also plan to fix...

...whenever that update happens.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.