MFGG Forums
Mario Fan-Game Engine using Unity - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Mario Fan-Game Engine using Unity (/showthread.php?tid=2923)

Mario Fan-Game Engine using Unity - ADScomics - 10-12-2022

Hi all,

I'm a relatively old member on MFGG (Just never active). I used to make a lot of fan-games around 10 years ago in Game Maker 8 before moving on to more advanced engines. As of now, I'm currently a full-time game designer and part time indie dev (You can see one of my projects here), who specializes in the Unity Engine. I used to work in Game Maker for a while, but I feel like I've outgrown it, and I imagine there are people out there who feel the same (Not to downplay anyone who uses Game Maker, it's a fantastic tool).
That all being said, I've been considering the idea of building a 2D Mario fan-game engine/framework using the Unity Engine, which could be deployed as a package. The idea would be to make something easy to use and deploy for those familiar with Unity, while also being something that the user could build on top of, if they wished. It would basically be a Hello Engine equivalent for the Unity Engine (at least that's the end goal).
I think there could be some value gained from this for people like myself who have become more familiar with the Unity Engine, or people who just don't like Game Maker's payment plans (Or the fact that it changed so much post-Game Maker 8). That all being said, I would love some input from you all to see if this is something that would be valuable for fan-game developers, as I have been outside of that arena for a very long time. Thanks!  Smile

RE: Mario Fan-Game Engine using Unity - VinnyVideo - 10-16-2022

I'd love to see this - I think many people would find this helpful.

GM is a great tool, but it's become less accessible for beginners and amateurs. GM has been the dominant development tool for the past 12-15 years on MFGG, but I think Mario fangame developers would be wise to consider other tools (like Unity) for making games.

RE: Mario Fan-Game Engine using Unity - Theonerm2 - 01-16-2023

I'm working on my own tools for making 3D Mario games in Unity. I specialize in 3D games and tools that use Unity. I'd like to create an asset for Unity game developers to make it easier to develop 3D Mario games. I've been working on this idea for 3 years so far. It's been a learning process for sure. I've went back and forth with the idea of making it into a 3D Mario maker game or making it into an asset. I might do both. I already have the tools developed to be able to work on 3D levels and save them to a file at runtime. I already have everything I'd need to do it either way. Also HelloFanGaming has granted me permission to distribute all the models and animations he ripped in the Hello Mario Assets asset for Unity. Nintendo has yet to grant me permission to use Mario though. I've thought of trying to just make the scripts and leave the actual Mario assets out of it as a result but I don't think I should. It's destined to be a fan Mario project. So regardless of whether or not Nintendo gives me the OK I'm doing it. Which really I'm not serious about the Nintendo thing anyway. I never expected them to give me permission. I didn't actually ask either. I was kidding but I'm not worried about getting sued either because my only income is ssi which cannot be garnished if I am sued and lose. Regardless I'm going to continue with my project and while I hope Nintendo doesn't say anything or try to sue me it won't hurt me either way. Which I doubt my project will ever be big enough to get their attention anyway.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.