MFGG Forums
WIP Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: WIP Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) (/showthread.php?tid=2948)

Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - OssieTheOstrich - 02-09-2023

Here is the third entry of the "Mario's Rather Unusual Trilogy" series.
[Image: NcIE3sB.png]

[Image: wvdGLTd.png][Image: Pkn61dn.png][Image: kwXTk6B.png][Image: 7y8z9EK.png][Image: l2V0ptS.png][Image: HWw89sX.png][Image: kFT34d7.png][Image: C4AyXgo.png][Image: srdFBAW.png][Image: mkK78VJ.png][Image: lsBEbs6.png]

Plot: After the events of the previous adventure, Peach's Castle is having even another celebration of some sorts. Mario & Luigi are once again invited over. A Power Star Festival is happening, which is a special one in a few years event where everybody in the Mushroom Kingdom gathers to see Power Stars zoom across the sky.

While at the castle party, an earthquake happens; it’s source it quickly revealed to be various dimensions portals. Bowser appears out of one of these portals along with his various Koopa Troops. He then grabs the Grand Star and destroys it, causing it’s pieces and various other Power Stars to be sent through the portals. He then leaves through one of the portals, but not before leaving a threatening message about “controlling various other universes”. Mario & Luigi jump into action, with Peach and Toad joining in. They meet up with Professor E. Gadd, who quickly equips The Odyssey with dimensional traveling technology, and a map to where the Power Stars and the pieces of the Grand Star were scattered. They then set off to retrieve them and stop Bowser.

Meanwhile, Bowser manages to restore the memories of the bosses who’ve fought Mario in the last two games and gives them one piece of the Grand Star each to safe guard. He also gives the pieces to other bosses whom Mario hasn’t fought. Bowser has also recruited Wario & Waluigi to hinder the main 4’s progress, specially giving Wario a second chance after the whole Mini-Mario fiasco (both of them are kinda broke right now so they’re desperate for Coins).

..This really is very unusual, no?

Gameplay: The game follows the gameplay style of the open-world Mario games like Super Mario 64, Sunshine and Odyssey, mixed with some elements of Galaxy 1/2 and 3D Land/3D World. Each world has it’s own Regional Coins, which can be used to buy stuff like Power-Ups and such.

Once all of a world’s Power Stars are collected, a special event occurs where you’ll have to either:
A: Guide a special “helper” character (unique to each world) to the location of the boss or
B: Let the “helper” character guide you to the boss

The helper character will also attempt to help you during a boss, depending on what the boss is.

Here are some mockup screenshots showcasing both types of helpers (Wubbzy is the one guided, Hilda is the guider):

[Image: 6LkH5jb.png]
[Image: BP3dqWA.png]
[Image: jIHEXJJ.png]

Oh, did I mention that you can also pick them up?

Playable Characters: The main four characters are Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Toad. Wario and Waluigi are unlocked later on in the story, and there two bonus characters *which I’m contemplating on adding or not.

Mario is the all rounder, and has the average stats for jumping, running, reaching P-Speed, strength, and traction. Can Wall-Jump, Long Jump, Dive and Ground Pound.
[Image: tttMJcV.png]

Luigi jumps higher and has his Scuttle-Jump from SMB2 and NSLU, but is a bit slower, takes a little longer to reach P-Speed, is a bit weaker and is more slippery. He might also have his Backwards Jump from SM64DS. Can Wall-Jump, Long Jump, Dive and Ground Pound.
[Image: dUm2Wxg.png]

Princess Peach is the slowest runner and the weakest of the main four, but reaches P-Speed the quickest, and has the ability to Float in mid-air for a short amount of time. Can Wall-Jump, Long Jump, Dive and Ground Pound.
[Image: OW3eWB6.png]

Toad is the fastest and the strongest of the main four, but reaches P-Speed the slowest, jumps the lowest, and falls like a brick(?) He also has the Midair Spin from NSMBWii. Can Wall-Jump, Long Jump, Dive and Ground Pound.
[Image: JMjvY4m.png]

Wario is the slowest runner of all characters (same speed as Peach) and has a low jump, but he has most of his abilities from the Wario Land series, such as the Shoulder Bash for instance, and is the strongest in strength. Can’t Wall-Jump, Long Jump or Dive, but can Ground Pound (his Ground Pound is the strongest of all characters).
[Image: BV0Yw0y.png]

Waluigi is the second fastest runner of all characters (same as Toad), has the highest jump (same as Luigi) and can use his Tennis racket to attack (as well as do a mid air boost), and can temporarily swim in the air (he will not ascend when doing this), but is the weakest of all of characters. Can Wall-Jump, Long Jump, Dive and Ground Pound.
[Image: LettY2U.png]

Ostrich* is the third fastest character with an average jump, is slightly stronger than Mario, and can Flutter Jump. He can also do a kick to attack (as well as do a mid air boost). Can’t Wall-Jump, Long Jump or Dive, but can Ground Pound. Doesn’t affect the story in any way, and may be unlocked by finding a special hidden room in each world.
[Image: vTzd9vH.png]

Yeth* is the fastest character of all characters, and is the most different in playstyle. He controls like a Sonic character (can do roll, Spin-Dash, and Super Peel-Out), and has the ability to fly like Tails. Can’t Wall-Jump, Long Jump, Dive or Ground Pound. Doesn’t affect the story in any way, and may be unlocked by finding special collectibles in some of the worlds.
[Image: RuO4Bvo.png]

The game also has a partner system inspired by Sonic Advance 3 and Sonic Mania Plus, with the players being able to choose 2 characters and swap between them during gameplay. You’d be able to partner them by entering The Odyssey ship and selecting the characters in there.

Current list of worlds, enemies, and bosses, both returning and new (LONG LIST):
Development: ???

Some Notes: The game is possibly in the most rough state of the entire Trilogy, and it kinda shows in the current screenshots I have of the project.

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - OssieTheOstrich - 05-23-2023

Here is a video of the Robo Mario race, also showing the partner AI in action.

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - Roo - 05-23-2023

I think it's a bit weird to be doing a third game when you haven't even finished the second one, but hey, I liked the first one so I'm not going to complain about getting more.

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - OssieTheOstrich - 06-08-2023

(05-23-2023, 03:58 PM)Roo Wrote: I think it's a bit weird to be doing a third game when you haven't even finished the second one, but hey, I liked the first one so I'm not going to complain about getting more.
Yeah I am aware of this. I just had so many ideas I wanted to try (for the first time or again, as this entry takes elements from some scrapped projects I did previously)

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - OssieTheOstrich - 07-09-2023

Showcasing some sprite work.

Some of Peach's revamped sprites:
[Image: Du1sDMB.gif]

W.I.P of a different death pose for Mario (top is the different one):
[Image: T5D5f30.png]

An image made to test out the proportions of the Hammer item (it will be used in a boss fight and possibly in later worlds):
[Image: SkgvVRG.png]

And finally, the new "YOU GOT A STAR" animation for Mario (I was told to slow it down a bit after I made this .GIF, which I will do in-game later on):
[Image: fqriMnL.gif]

Small note, I have shown off some more stuff about this project on the MFGG Discord so I'd recommend you check out the updates there.

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - Izerin - 07-10-2023

This looks like a blast actually, I love this so much. Ugandan Knuckles got a good laugh out of me.

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - OssieTheOstrich - 07-25-2023

small updates (more are in the MFGG discord)

a W.I.P on one of the returning worlds from the first and second entries

current list of helper characters
[Image: 2MOrIyu.png]
Includes: Wubbzy, Banjo, (undecided NPC for Jumpstart World), 'Splosion Man, Red, (undecided NPC for Despicable Me World), Hilda, Flippy, Steve, Larryboy, Flain, and Kekcroc

and here are the same helpers getting damaged
[Image: csm12r4.png]

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - OssieTheOstrich - 11-04-2023

might as well update this thread with more things

For starters, the animation for getting a Star Piece has been completed (at least for Mario, Luigi's is partially done). It's not implemented in-game yet, so the video below is a mockup:

Second, I did some more spritework on various things:

First up, some tileset tests for the worlds:
[Image: JG2R1ts.png]
[Image: pywa4oO.png]
[Image: mNn8EtA.png]
[Image: TqzhwsJ.png]
[Image: B5piMz3.png]
[Image: kaETs2Q.png]

Some walking W.I.Ps for the playable characters:
[Image: tMZ7nZ2.png]
[Image: JRXjEUi.png]
[Image: IJjzPDs.png]
Note, Wario's walking and running animation were overhauled by @KrystalPhantasm.
The walking was based off WL4 while the running was based off WL Shake It, & I really enjoy how Krystal pulled it off Other Big Brin
[Image: ZpRJWBs.gif]

Some enemy and boss tests (there are more but I don't have them on me atm)
[Image: 73eleAz.png]
[Image: Rw1zZyz.png]
[Image: uTb6phD.png]
[Image: 2Jgc91H.png]

Plus here is this vector W.I.P of a boss from Paper Mario: The Well Crafted Journey, which is planned to be used in the "Unused Content" world:
[Image: l6WffzS.png]

I also did some experimenting with the main story characters to test if their speed and jump heights were fine; Spoiler alert, I probably need to do some more tweaking.

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - OssieTheOstrich - 02-23-2024

might as well update this thread with even more things (still don't have my license so most of it is art)

this is a bit old but apparently I didn't show it here; various Mario animations implemented in-game
[Image: 7TjUyou.gif]

a few sprite updates relating to the Trolberg world from the Hilda series
[Image: k04EsGc.png]
[Image: g0KRW8Y.png]

and W.I.P spritework of a mini-boss for the Brrrgh from ToonTown Online
[Image: 2U5m4dr.png]
koopas revenge moment

and here is a two half-mockup vids of dialogue sounds for NPCs (links only as Twitter cannot embed here anymore, will probably replace with YT video links)
https://twitter.com/ossietheostrich/status/1751568371542528281
https://twitter.com/ossietheostrich/status/1751568365930553426

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - Roo - 02-28-2024

Still looks really nice. Can't wait to play it whenever.

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - OssieTheOstrich - 03-31-2024

(02-28-2024, 04:06 PM)Roo Wrote: Still looks really nice. Can't wait to play it whenever.
You'll probably have to wait a long time for that, man.

So, you guys might be wondering the status on this project (and the previous one as well), so here is some info (spoilered cause I don't want it to be the focus of this post):

Okay, with that out of the way, I might as well show some W.I.P artwork and stuff:

W.I.P of the helper character for the Jumpstart World (Splatter)
[Image: GMMYuVy.png]

W.I.P of an NPC for the Trolberg World (Twig)
[Image: jYORtqU.png]

W.I.P of of the bosses for the VeggieTown World (Bad Apple, with and without cape)
[Image: 8FeT4FJ.png]

W.I.P of the boss for the Kecroc World (the fake Toasty)
[Image: p6qn3MO.png]

also all the stuff in this mockup image for another project will be used in this project for the Trolberg World when you go outside the walls:
[Image: eMzfA2V.png]
[Image: IMbgBDx.png]

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - OssieTheOstrich - 04-08-2024

way more stuff; it has objects/items, enemies, npcs, helpers and bosses (some of the images have odd contrast, but I can assure you they look better in-game or in my scratchpads)

First, some Helper stuff:
a W.I.P of Banjo using Kazooie in the Breegull Blaster move
[Image: VA8xh2a.png]

Some palette tests for LarryBoy
[Image: aF48eL6.png]

W.I.P frames for Wubbzy's running animation (he's leaning forward in it)
[Image: cTHXL89.png]

A slight change in Hilda's leg position, was trying to see if it looked better (the far right sprites are for this project, rest are for something else)
[Image: cEuN6Hm.png]

Next, the objects/items:
Goomba shoe colors for the Goombas (of course) and the players (the main 4 and the unlockable 4)
[Image: OfHzp0C.png]

A W.I.P tree for the Mushroom Kingdom world (the prologue/tutorial world); btw thanks to @SonicKade2048 and @Vert for helping with the shading on the SMB3 sprite
[Image: 1Rw3I2z.png]

Frames for the green springboard
[Image: A19qoS0.png]

Coins, in Gold, Red, and Purple colors (the last one is a placeholder/test); thanks to @Langton for helping me make the original coin sprites for Generations (these were based on those)
[Image: RIYF6oV.gif]
[Image: v011SPp.gif]
[Image: drxxLTd.gif]

..that's a lot of coins
[Image: F8meyK8.png]

The Power Star! (now as smooth as the coins)
[Image: frLXKnA.gif]

next, the only thing related to the players
I changed the colors on Ostrich to have more contrast
[Image: 4syo6R9.png]

next, the only thing related to the npcs
"If you like to talk to tomatoes, if a squash can make you smile, if you like to waltz with potatoes, up and down the produce isle... have I got the crossover world for you"; VeggieTales NPCs
[Image: qTwq9cc.png]

and lastly, enemies and bosses stuff
The bosses of the VeggieTales world; i already showed Bad Apple, Motato is new, and Awful Alvin hasn't been done yet but is here somehow
[Image: pWx2LGW.png]

The enemies of the VeggieTales world; the first two are from the GBA VeggieTales game LarryBoy and the Bad Apple and the last one is from VeggieTales in the House
[Image: YMElA0E.png]

wow, that's a lot of stuff huh

RE: Mario's VERY Unusual Final Frontier (Mario's slightly unusual Boss Rush 3) - OssieTheOstrich - 04-24-2024

Here's some more W.I.P artwork and stuff:

Luigi hurt animation tests (thanks to @Vert for making the middle one)
[Image: hnAu6Kf.png]

Fireball shoot animation (gonna give it to Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Waluigi + in penguin forms)
[Image: CRbW5GU.gif]
[Image: 3szRZux.png]

Some Wario sprites (front facing and a skidding frame)
[Image: oHhDbEH.png]
[Image: FJIJqeU.png]

Speaking of skidding animations...
[Image: wffep5f.gif]

...every character (player and helper) will be given Sonic Mania'ish skidding animations now
[Image: rJUMDvM.png]
boy, this'll be a long process

the important thing in this one is the shading (top row)
[Image: lF3yVdY.png]

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.