MFGG Forums
Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder (/showthread.php?tid=317)

Pages: 1 2

Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Parakarry - 12-28-2017

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/2017-12-26/excessive-video-gaming-to-be-named-mental-disorder-by-who

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/excessive-gaming-could-become-a-mental-disorder/article/2644377

This opens a big can of worms.
When does being a heavy gamer cross into becoming a mental disorder? is it even that at all?
At what point does it become detrimental?

People aren't too thrilled.

RE: Excessive gaming could become an official disorder - HylianDev - 12-28-2017

EDIT: misread the topic

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Parakarry - 12-28-2017

I should clarify: VIDEO gaming.
Spending days on Zelda and Mario shouldn't really be a disorder... though there are cases where people have gamed way too much, to deterimental levels.

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - HylianDev - 12-28-2017

OH GAMING

I thought that said GAMBLING

Wow nevermind hahaha.

Then yes this is very controversial wow

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Xander - 12-28-2017

This isn't that controversial to me. If you solely dedicate all your time to any single enterprise, the rest of your life is going to suffer; it's just that simple.

Life is about balance. Anything that puts the rest of your life out of balance is... imbalanced behaviour. Smile

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - VinnyVideo - 12-28-2017

Basically, what @Xander said. There's nothing inherently bad or unhealthy about someone who gets a new game and spends the better part of a weekend playing it. However, if video games (or any other activity) begin to interfere with more important things (work, school, interacting with other humans), then it's a potential problem.

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Zero Kirby - 12-28-2017

People have gamed to the detriment of their lives before, there's demonstrable proof. I would consider such a thing a medical addiction - but are addictions considered mental disorders, I don't know.

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Mariotroid - 12-29-2017

It's an addiction and not a mental disorder. A mental disorder would imply their brain isn't working properly, wouldn't it?

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Zero Kirby - 12-29-2017

(12-29-2017, 02:38 AM)Mariotroid Wrote: It's an addiction and not a mental disorder. A mental disorder would imply their brain isn't working properly, wouldn't it?

See, now that's the thing. An addiction could easily imply that your brain isn't working properly - it's forcing you to do things you don't need to by making you feel like you need to, to the detriment of your health.

The question is, would you consider someone with a gambling addiction mentally ill? Someone with a tobacco addiction mentally ill? An alcoholic? After all, they are all psychologically or physically forced - sometimes against their will - to do self-harming things they don't want to do. And the one forcing them is themselves.

And if none of those are considered mental disorders, what is it that makes a gaming addiction different?

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Evil Yoshi Toes - 12-29-2017

If you play video games to the point that you’re either damaging your health or you’re missing out on important opportunities then I think it is a problem that should be recognized as one. Games are great as long as you balance them out with things of actual importance including school, work, and socialization. I knew someone who flunked out of his first year of college because instead of going to class he would sit in his room playing video games all day. That’s obviously a big problem.

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Nutshell - 12-29-2017

I think it's not a mental problem. I think It is an adiction.

Examples :

Drugs : adiction 
Down syndrome : mental problem

A BIG difference between an addiction and a mental problem/disorder

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Mariotroid - 12-29-2017

Yeah I agree with No Name. This is still my opinion. Plus people can get addicted to anything, so wouldn't all addictions be disorders?

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Zero Kirby - 12-30-2017

(12-29-2017, 11:00 PM)Mariotroid Wrote: Yeah I agree with No Name. This is still my opinion. Plus people can get addicted to anything, so wouldn't all addictions be disorders?

Well, I was talking with a friend and he looked it up and indeed, addictions are considered mental disorders. Tobacco, alcohol, gambling, et al. There are qualifiers to actually being assigned the disorder, but they are indeed mental disorders.

It should be noted that this particular disorder will likely not be "likes and plays video games a lot" but "is incapable of not playing video games to the detriment of their social, physical, or mental health" and that you would have to have multiple signs related to it in order to be diagnosed. Kind of like how "likes to have a drink when going out" isn't a sign of alcoholism, but "refuses to go to social outings unless there is alcohol provided" is.

I'm sitting in support of this. Some people do legitimately need help quitting or managing their gaming, and this can make that help easier to get.

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Evil Yoshi Toes - 12-30-2017

As Zero Kirby said, addictions are considered a disorder. That point is made very clear in rehab programs. In order for it to be an actual addiction disorder the person must be unable to stop himself and must need the help of others to overcome it, so if he can stop himself but just doesn’t feel like doing so it isn’t an addiction, he’s just lazy.

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Willsaber - 01-02-2018

(12-30-2017, 10:29 AM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: so if he can stop himself but just doesn’t feel like doing so it isn’t an addiction, he’s just lazy.

How do we tell whether somebody is capable of stopping themselves until they actually do it?

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Evil Yoshi Toes - 01-07-2018

(01-02-2018, 11:41 AM)Willsaber Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 10:29 AM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: so if he can stop himself but just doesn’t feel like doing so it isn’t an addiction, he’s just lazy.

How do we tell whether somebody is capable of stopping themselves until they actually do it?

It suppose that's a tricky thing about diagnosing an addiction. I don't know of any cases in which a person's body negatively reacted to an absence of video games, but if that were to happen then I think that could help determine an addiction as a person's body is more objective than a person's mind. I don't know a lot about diagnosing addictions aside from what I said before, but it does seem like a very interesting subject to learn about.

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Mariotroid - 01-08-2018

I think the same should go for television addiction. Some people can't stop binge watching Netflix.

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Edder - 01-10-2018

(01-08-2018, 08:44 PM)Mariotroid Wrote: I think the same should go for television addiction. Some people can't stop binge watching Netflix.

Don't know if you're kidding or not, excesivelly watching TV is much worse for you than gaming ever could be. They're just artificially creating needs for "experts," various NGOs, drugs etc. Screw this.

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - VinnyVideo - 01-10-2018

Playing video games is far more intellectually stimulating than watching most of what's on TV. Any activity can become harmful if it takes over your life, though.

RE: Excessive video gaming could become an official disorder - Parakarry - 01-13-2018

(01-10-2018, 01:36 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: Playing video games is far more intellectually stimulating than watching most of what's on TV.

Especially if said TV show has the word "Kardashian" in it.  Cool

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.