MFGG Forums
The Mr. Cat Trilogy (a totally random game series full of crappy stuff inside) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The Mr. Cat Trilogy (a totally random game series full of crappy stuff inside) (/showthread.php?tid=334)

The Mr. Cat Trilogy (a totally random game series full of crappy stuff inside) - sc00pj0hn - 01-02-2018

WARNING: This game contains intentional but untolerable graphics (including intentional doodled graphics and flashing seizures), sounds that might result loudness and a case of swearing in the game's dialogues. Also, grammar errors!

I thought i'd share one of my yet underrated works which i really had fun to make, thought said games could be really boring for some, 
and therefore said content below is supposed to be a low-quality/joke adventure with lazy made stuff... but anyway...

I present you...
[Image: LdCn4kU.png]
[Image: gkW8VBV.png]

What it is about:
Mr. Cat is a series of joke games i made back in between 2013 and 2014, originally published on Glorious Trainwrecks, a site that occasionally contained lots of short games, mostly being intentionally low quality. It tells the bizarre adventures of a photorealistic (and always) head banging cat known as Mr. Cat in various situations that make little sense. He meets strange people and fight strange people. The games are filled with many various characters and references from most known franchises, media and sometimes obscure media! This game was made as a Take That to among thousands of low quality indie games thanks to the series' intention of using a clashing art style mashed together, along with a really stupid plot. It is also a tribute to my long-time joke game favourites from MFGG such as Waligie and VinnyVideo's Cheerwine Deluxe.
The games go with various different levels, such as a platforming level and a 8-direction moving level, complete with Mr. Cat (for some strange reason!) being able to shoot a placeholder graphic present in Clickteam Fusion 2.5 as his power. All the games have a common battle gameplay, the series' main focus, where Mr. Cat faces various bosses in the game's stories.
Be warned, as you're expecting to play a game series full of nonsensical visuals.

The games:
So far, i've have got 4 games released in the series, three which are part of the main series, one is a holiday-themed spin-off!
  • THE ROYAL ADVENTURES OF MR CAT VS TAILS ADVANCE THE GAME: Originally released on 24th August 2013. Mr. Cat is unamused of the mischievous Arthur and his fictional low quality Sonic the Hedgehog fangame known as Tails Advance. His adventure takes place in a strange world where he faces many oddities of the mysterious fangame and must get to Arthur's palace which has been surrounded by really weird and deformed sonic characters.
  • MR. CAT THE SECOND: CAT HARDER!!: Originally released on 14th October 2013. In this (perhaps rushed) second entry, Mr. Cat must face 14 strange characters (few are dedicated to my old Glorious Trainwrecks friends) in order to face a mysterious entity which is claimed to be a resurrected Sonic from the first Mr. Cat. Unlike all the other entries, this is a boss rush game. Apparently, for some reason, there contains two old memes as bosses that i have really no idea why put them, but it's just my younger age.
  • MR. CAT'S SCARY HALLOWEEN HOLIDAY: Originally released on 28th July 2014. Despite it being a halloween special that was intended to be released on Halloween 2013, it gets a normal release as usual after almost a year of nothing else. Mr. Cat is dared by "dakr cat" (actually intentionally mispelled) to find 4 gems around a haunted territory. Hilarity ensues as Mr. Cat moves in inside the forest.
  • MR. CAT III: MR. CAT SAVES THE DAY YET AGAIN: Originally released on 12th August 2014, literally 12 days before the first anniversary of the first Mr. Cat. It is the yet biggest entry yet, and features a full-fledged adventure where he joins a gang who solves problems around the world. Lots of bosses to face and lots of story driven levels to face, including a hour-long experience.
The difficulty present in the games are really strange-determined, and there is always a medium chance that the games will get unforgiving for players, due to the game's really lazy programming.
Since these games are really old, there's some grammar errors to expect.

Screenshots:

Even for a really lazy made game, i can accept the fact i've really messed up during the development of these games.
Download link (including all the games)

RE: The Mr. Cat Trilogy (a totally random game series full of crappy stuff inside) - VinnyVideo - 01-04-2018

(01-02-2018, 05:12 PM)sc00pj0hn Wrote: It is also a tribute to my long-time joke game favourites from MFGG such as Waligie and VinnyVideo's Cheerwine Deluxe.
You have exquisite taste - if I do say so myself!

How do you get past the Giant Super Shadow in the first game?

I love the idea of a joke game boss rush, as seen in the second game. The bosses are very difficult, though, so it would've been nice to have a save system or password system (although that might have proven to be difficult to do).

Also, I'd suggest reducing the volume of some of the sound effects. On my laptop, they're on the loud side even when I reduce system volume to 1%.

RE: The Mr. Cat Trilogy (a totally random game series full of crappy stuff inside) - sc00pj0hn - 01-04-2018

(01-04-2018, 11:11 AM)VinnyVideo Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 05:12 PM)sc00pj0hn Wrote: It is also a tribute to my long-time joke game favourites from MFGG such as Waligie and VinnyVideo's Cheerwine Deluxe.
You have exquisite taste - if I do say so myself!

How do you get past the Giant Super Shadow in the first game?

I love the idea of a joke game boss rush, as seen in the second game. The bosses are very difficult, though, so it would've been nice to have a save system or password system (although that might have proven to be difficult to do).

Also, I'd suggest reducing the volume of some of the sound effects. On my laptop, they're on the loud side even when I reduce system volume to 1%.

The 2nd boss in Mr. Cat 1 is one of those many insane bosses of the whole series. Due to the unusual intention of crappy programming, the bosses are made to be incredibly poorly made and this results nearly unbeatable for certain players who can't dodge at bullets very well, this game however has no hitbox for the player character therefore you're forced to dodge bullets with the largest hitbox.

Since your feedback is REALLY worth mentioning, i noted the 2nd boss to have a very big amount of health, thus another problem that the Mr. Cat game suffers. i have intention of making a sort of an "less bull" (easier) version which will make the game easier by decreasing the bosses' health and try to make less confusion. I also want to make sound less crappy by adding a sound stop before any sound execution. I'll let you know when i will manage to do this version.

Oh, regarding the passwords, there aren't any in the first two games, only Mr. Cat III has them.
And one more thing, Vinny, when you get to level 4 (after the 2nd boss), things get nasty here, so i'll release the hidden codes needed to activate the secret speed up:
  • Level 1: speedupped
  • Level 4 part 1: thiswillspeedupagain
  • Level 4 part 2: iseeyou
  • Level 4 part 3: thisisparta (except there is not another S before Sparta.)
  • Last boss: iamthegod (This will instead make the boss stop shooting bullets everytime you hit him)
these passwords in Mr. Cat I doesn't need the password input so you'll have to type them during the level (obviously pausing the game won't work).
all of these passwords need to be typed carefully since there's a invisible text field hidden in the game rooms, then push enter if you seem to have typed the password correctly, otherwise you'll have to restart the level to retry the input.

Sometimes i'd really not recommend players to start off with Mr. Cat I, and to instead to start off with Mr. Cat II or III, since there's actually no need to follow the story chronologically.

RE: The Mr. Cat Trilogy (a totally random game series full of crappy stuff inside) - Vitiman - 01-04-2018

I heavily appreciate the (albeit sparse) use of stock Clickteam assets - the ones that date back to Klik & Play. They make me supremely nostalgic, in a good way!

Always gotta dig new joke games, even if the general populous seems to be dismissive of them. After all, people who make joke games can't make real games, right? That seems to be the recurring stereotype. Shame, too. It's not that we can't make "real" games, it's just that it's sometimes fun to make garbage that's meant to be silly and wacky.

RE: The Mr. Cat Trilogy (a totally random game series full of crappy stuff inside) - sc00pj0hn - 01-04-2018

(01-04-2018, 04:45 PM)Vitiman Wrote: I heavily appreciate the (albeit sparse) use of stock Clickteam assets - the ones that date back to Klik & Play. They make me supremely nostalgic, in a good way!

Always gotta dig new joke games, even if the general populous seems to be dismissive of them. After all, people who make joke games can't make real games, right? That seems to be the recurring stereotype. Shame, too. It's not that we can't make "real" games, it's just that it's sometimes fun to make garbage that's meant to be silly and wacky.

The stock graphics were in here because i was into much in Glorious Trainwrecks and said site made me encourage to use the sprites. That was a good experience working on a joke-ey game like this, but today i've lost big motivation to work on another.

Say, there were plans to make a fourth (main) Mr. Cat game but i soon began to lose inspiration on working on the story. This resulted in a very complex hiatus which also included many attempts to get back to work on it. Today i even tried again, only resulting me to work on a unfinished cutscene and never finish it.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.