MFGG Forums
Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: News and Events (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB (/showthread.php?tid=349)

Pages: 1 2 3

Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Hyper - 01-08-2018

As a temporary Tech Admin of MFGG, I am announcing that several old MFGG themes will be ported over to the new MyBB MFGG forums. As for now, Doomship Gloom is available to be used. I will be porting the classic MFGG default theme (2003-2008) in the next few days. 

What theme from the old PHPBB would you prefer? Feel free to provide some inputs for any suggestion and/or improvement.

Planned theme list:
  • Doomship Gloom [Completed]
  • Default MFGG Classic (2003-2008) [Completed]
  • NSMB [2] [Completed]*
  • Evening Chill [1] [Completed]
  • Simplistic Green [1]**  [Completed]
  • Early MFGG PHPBB (Main Site Theme)[1] - [Completed]
  • Blue Challenger [1] - [Completed]
  • Boo Berry [1]* - [Completed]
  • Tropical Splash [1]* - [Completed]
  • Codec Cyan [1] - [Completed]
  • Mega Man (IPB Era) [1]* - [Completed]
  • Fire Flower [1]* - [TBD]
  • MFGG Retro [1] - [Completed]
Under consideration:
  • SMW Forest (IPB Era) [1]*
  • And others based on various games
  • Roushi [Joke theme I would probably never make] ***

If you are not sure how to change themes, please go to:
User CP > Your Profile > Edit Options > Other Options > Board Style

*Include user request from Discord.
**Include user request at the MFGG Forums elsewhere (not mentioned in this topic).
***Seriously, this will not happen until all of the black holes in the universe evaporates in 10^100 years.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - littlelum - 01-08-2018

Personally, I like the blue challenger theme and that winter theme

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Parakarry - 01-08-2018

Ive always wanted to make a Smash Bros skin for the site, but I'm not so versed in CSS, I'm more of a plug and play image sort of person.
I can make the images no problem, title, reply buttons, so on, but I would need some help.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Hyper - 01-08-2018

Quote:Ive always wanted to make a Smash Bros skin for the site, but I'm not so versed in CSS, I'm more of a plug and play image sort of person.
I can make the images no problem, title, reply buttons, so on, but I would need some help.
Sounds interesting. When I am done porting themes over, I can try to add more custom themes. I will discuss this matter with other staff members later on.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - PAC-BANZAI - 01-09-2018

Was there a metal gear solid theme and a nsmb theme? Those would be cool.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - VinnyVideo - 01-09-2018

@Hypernova Thanks for your help making this happen! I appreciate it - big time!

If anyone else wants to help design themes, you're more than welcome to help out! Porting old skins requires some knowledge of CSS. However, even if you know nothing about CSS, you can design banners and buttons for any new skins you'd like to see.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - PAC-BANZAI - 01-09-2018

Is there a base for designing themes? I'm not very good at it.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Pedigree - 01-09-2018

Just one problem: not all skins' announcement blocks update properly, probably because they have their own set of templates (and they really don't need their own templates tbh).

Please use the NEW MFGG templates and only change the CSS for the skins if possible. The theme elements you'd need to edit should be separate from the template files anyways. Having to edit the announcements on each skin would be too big a pain to be honest.

That said, I'd love to see Boo Berry make a return.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Hyper - 01-09-2018

I will try to use only one template. Another alternative solution is to use one single template for the side bar only while all of the theme template can obtain the code of the sidebar. I have to check and see if this is feasible.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - VinnyVideo - 01-10-2018

Ideally, making new skins wouldn't require you to touch the template files at all. Some of the images are linked in the template files, but it might be possible to change that.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Hyper - 01-13-2018

Before my long journey on the road for a new career as a web developer. I have made the MFGG Classic (03-08) theme available for all users on MFGG.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - PAC-BANZAI - 01-14-2018

Default MFGG Classic (2003-2008) is working lovely! Smile

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Vitiman - 01-15-2018

It's not 100% done yet - I edited some stars for it that Hypernova has yet to include in the theme.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Hyper - 01-19-2018

Quick update of the day:
- Doomship Gloom and MFGG Classic (2003 - 2008) are fully complete
- Fixes on forum icons/buttons, special thanks to @Vitiman for the custom star icons for MFGG Classic 2003 - 2008
- Coin icon matches with the forum theme. I also fixed the coin icon alignment as well

UPDATE Jan 20, 2018
- NSMB theme is now available for testing!

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - VinnyVideo - 01-21-2018

@Hypernova Thanks! You should get a Big Help badge for your Big Helping.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Hyper - 01-23-2018

Evening Chill (Yoshi's Island theme) is now available for everyone for testing. Feel free to send in some inputs if you encounter any theme related issues.

Also thank you very much Vinny!

I really appreciate @Vitiman for some assistance over the blur effect with the new theme!

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Vitiman - 01-23-2018

It's no problem! It helps that it was my theme you were porting, but I was more than happy to!

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Snessy the duck - 01-24-2018

The NSMB theme is missing it's thread icons, they're all the default MyBB ones (At least that's what I think they are)

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Hyper - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 10:37 AM)Snessy the duck Wrote: The NSMB theme is missing it's thread icons, they're all the default MyBB ones (At least that's what I think they are)

I am aware of that. However due to lack of proper sized icon that’s arond 24x24 to 30x30(16x16 is too small), I used the default MyBB icons instead.

If you want to design custom icons for NSMB, I would be happy to use that if it’s worth a fit.

RE: Porting PHPBB themes to MyBB - Snessy the duck - 01-24-2018

Could you maybe show me the icons the original phpBB theme used?

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.