MFGG Forums
Wart - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Wart (/showthread.php?tid=352)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Wart - Evil Yoshi Toes - 01-12-2018

(01-12-2018, 02:20 AM)Saltman Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 08:12 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: I don't despise Birdo, I just think she's really ugly and I don't find her particularly interesting as she is now. I do think Birdo was interesting in SMB2 because she was just some obscure egg shooting enemy that fit that game's dream-like cast of characters. I think her prominence in the Mario franchise has made her less mysterious and therefore less interesting to me. It could also be due to her role shift from wacky enemy to Yoshi's tacky female counterpart who really wants to be sexy. I wouldn't mind seeing her come back as an egg spitting enemy, though.

Of course I agree that picking Birdo and Shyguys as recurring characters was a wise choice as they are the most commonly seen characters in the game, I just personally don't like Birdo outside of that game.

You mean "him"?

I do agree with the female counterpart thing. However, I'd say it's good to see her more developed instead of just being a forgettable egg spitting enemy, myself. Also, I don't get how being less obscure=less interesting. According to you, if Wart made lots of appereances as a recurring villain then would he also be less interesting just for being less mysterious?

He wouldn't be less interesting if he's given an interesting personality. The reason I don't care about Birdo has to do with where her character has gone. What made Birdo interesting to me in SMB2 is how weird and disturbing she was, making her feel like something you'd see in a crazy dream. The idea of her being a creepy egg shooter with a hole on her face has seemingly been forgotten, and now she acts as any other cute, lovable Mario character except she's not cute.

Still, I don't actively dislike her presence in Mario games, I just don't care about her character and I think she's ugly.

RE: Wart - Saltman - 01-14-2018

(01-12-2018, 01:05 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 02:20 AM)Saltman Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 08:12 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: I don't despise Birdo, I just think she's really ugly and I don't find her particularly interesting as she is now. I do think Birdo was interesting in SMB2 because she was just some obscure egg shooting enemy that fit that game's dream-like cast of characters. I think her prominence in the Mario franchise has made her less mysterious and therefore less interesting to me. It could also be due to her role shift from wacky enemy to Yoshi's tacky female counterpart who really wants to be sexy. I wouldn't mind seeing her come back as an egg spitting enemy, though.

Of course I agree that picking Birdo and Shyguys as recurring characters was a wise choice as they are the most commonly seen characters in the game, I just personally don't like Birdo outside of that game.

You mean "him"?

I do agree with the female counterpart thing. However, I'd say it's good to see her more developed instead of just being a forgettable egg spitting enemy, myself. Also, I don't get how being less obscure=less interesting. According to you, if Wart made lots of appereances as a recurring villain then would he also be less interesting just for being less mysterious?

He wouldn't be less interesting if he's given an interesting personality. The reason I don't care about Birdo has to do with where her character has gone. What made Birdo interesting to me in SMB2 is how weird and disturbing she was, making her feel like something you'd see in a crazy dream. The idea of her being a creepy egg shooter with a hole on her face has seemingly been forgotten, and now she acts as any other cute, lovable Mario character except she's not cute.

Still, I don't actively dislike her presence in Mario games, I just don't care about her character and I think she's ugly.

I can see that. Though I'd still say Mario isn't the kind of franchise that likes having creepy characters! Maybe that's also another reason of why they tried to make her more cute? because they find her "creepy"?

Maybe that's why we don't hear anything of Wart and his sidekicks? Maybe nintendo just finds them to be too "weird" and "creepy" compared to the rest of the mario crew? As a kid, I remember being quite scared of Clawgrip for example lol.

EDIT: And if you think about it, Wart is quite creepy, at least for kids. I'd also feel uncomfortable if a big fat frog burped giant bubbles at me.

RE: Wart - Mariotroid - 01-14-2018

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong: Mario used to be a more mature series, in the 1980's when SMB2 was released. Birdo would've been fine within that game at the time. However, if they bring characters back they have to cuteeefy them if they're too creepy... I want a return to a Mario that was more mature.

RE: Wart - DustinVG - 01-14-2018

I disagree with the notion that Mario was ever really that mature. If anything, I think the RPGs and whatnot significantly raised the bar on how dark Mario could be.

RE: Wart - VinnyVideo - 01-14-2018

Looking back at Nintendo media and third-party materials from the 80's and 90's, Mario and Zelda were often linked closely (this pun may or may not be intentional). It always seemed that Mario was the "cute and goofy" series, while Zelda was a bit darker and more "mature" (although Zelda had some silly fun, too).

RE: Wart - Evil Yoshi Toes - 01-14-2018

I don't think Mario was ever much more mature, but with the graphical advancements in-game graphics are now able to look much cuter than before, which might make it seem that way. Mario has always been very wacky and lighthearted, with the RPGs getting slightly darker but still remaining cheery.

I still stand by my point regarding Birdo, though. She was not necessarily a terrifying enemy, but she's certainly one of the weirdest Mario creatures and I think Nintendo's attempts to make her into a cute character despite her overall design saying otherwise has made her less interesting.
I don't think it's as much a problem with Nintendo actually changing her design than it is them changing her role. If you look at her original artwork from SMB2, she looks fairly similar to how she does now.

As for Wart being too scary for kids, I disagree. Mario games have pretty consistently introduced weird characters, I'd say up until Mario Sunshine (not counting the RPGs) with the introduction of Petey Piranha, Gooper Blooper, and Bowser Jr. A giant plant that vomits goo and is defeated by being inflated and having its belly button pounded is significantly scarier than a giant burping frog, I'd say. For a while Mario played safely, which spawned the numerous NSMB sequels, but recently the games have been feeling more like new Mario games rather than rehashes. Mario Odyssey introduced some of the wackiest Mario characters we've seen. I'm sure, after fighting the bosses in Odyssey, no kids would have any problem facing off against Wart.

RE: Wart - DustinVG - 01-14-2018

If anything, I'd say Wart is less menacing than Bowser at this point.

RE: Wart - Saltman - 01-17-2018

Not that Bowser is super scary though. I never took him seriously with that monkey-like face of his lol.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.