MFGG Forums
Game recommendation thread! - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Game recommendation thread! (/showthread.php?tid=367)

Game recommendation thread! - Saltman - 01-14-2018

A thread to ask which games should you buy and play and which not!

So, this is a real bummer guys. Wii games aren't as widespread as I thought they were Sad . Looking in an online store, so far the cheapest games I found (sold at $60 dollars each, so they are not as cheap as they should be lol), I found are Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii, Punch-Out!!, and DKC Returns.

Which of these is the better one? I can only buy 1 at the moment so I really need some help here. Mario Kart Wii because it's a game that pretty much everybody has. Wii Sports because it's the essential Wii game, and if you don't have it then having a Wii is "worthless"(many people use the Wii to play Wii Sports only and ignore every other Wii game). Punch Out because I've beaten every single boxer in the original, and I'd like to fight them again since I already know all the patterns in that one (plus 2 player mode!). DKC Returns because it seems to be the "rarest one" and I'm tempted to buy it, but I've heard it's pretty damn hard.

Can you help me out here guys?

RE: Game recommendation thread! - Mariotroid - 01-14-2018

If I were you, here's how it would go,

If you have a 3DS, buy Donkey Kong Country Returns for that system. DKC really lends itself to portable gaming. Trust me though, what you said is right, this game is tough.

Don't buy Wii Sports. At all. Ever. It's a waste of $60. It's an alright prototype of a full game, but it isn't really a game. It's small and only good to play with people when it's thanksgiving and the year 2007.

I don't know about Punch Out, never played it.

Buy Mario Kart Wii for the... Wii. It's an awesome game. I played only a bit at a friends place but damn was it fun. Multiplayer is always fun with these games, and unlike Punch Out, so is single player. I'll be getting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for my Switch so I'm just as excited, I can relate to playing a whole new Mario Kart.

RE: Game recommendation thread! - VinnyVideo - 01-14-2018

If I had a lot of people to play with and didn't have any of the other Mario Kart games, I'd go with Mario Kart Wii. If I wanted a fun, challenging platformer that would keep me playing a long time, I'd go with DKC Returns.

I'd strongly recommend against spending $60 for Wii Sports. It's a fun game, but it wasn't worth that much even in 2006. It came packaged with a lot of Wii systems, so it should be very easy to find - and since it's so common, you could probably find it at a garage sale or thrift store for a couple of dollars.

RE: Game recommendation thread! - Retriever II - 01-14-2018

Try ebay. Wii Sports can be found in the $10-15 range. Same with Donkey Kong Country Returns (maybe even cheaper). MK Wii goes for a bit more, around $25.

I don't buy many physical games anymore, but ebay was my primary source for used games when I did.

RE: Game recommendation thread! - littlelum - 01-15-2018

I highly recommend Mario kart wii, and I had loads of fun with DKC Returns as younger kid. Wii sports isn't really worth it, and I never played Punch Out!! (I'm curious about that game too) I'm actually luky, because there's a nearby store that sells games for all consoles, and wii games are the cheapest.
Some models of the Wii (definitely NOT the mini or family edition) can play Gamecube games too, but you need a controller and a memory card.

RE: Game recommendation thread! - Saltman - 01-16-2018

Thanks for the help guys! ebay is not available in my country, but ah well.

@VinnyVideo / @littlelum / @Mariotroid well, according to you all it's a tie between DKC Returns and Mario Kart Wii (because apparently no noe in MFGG has played Punch-Out!! yet lol). I can only choose one of them both, but I guess they're both so good they're equally awesome?

RE: Game recommendation thread! - VinnyVideo - 01-16-2018

I've never actually played any of the Punch-Out games, so I'm more inclined to recommend game series I've actually played. I probably should try them someday, though.

RE: Game recommendation thread! - Zero Kirby - 01-16-2018

I have played Punch-Out!! on the Wii and I played it with the motion controls and I had a good time but I also have never played any other Punch-Out!! games. It is worth getting but not worth spending $60 on - it doesn't have a ton of content.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is the best platformer on the system, period. It's the one you should get. Pro-tip, play with the Nunchuk attachment. Everybody who ever complained about the motion controls ever has definitely only played Wiimote sideways and yes it sucks that way don't play it that way they're much better and more responsive using the Nunchuk.

I never liked Mario Kart Wii, but aside from that, the official online for it is now non-functioning, so if part of your incentive to get that game was playing with others online, you'd have to mod the system. And at that point, you're probably not worried about the scarcity or prices of games for related reasons.

RE: Game recommendation thread! - DustinVG - 01-16-2018

Probably Returns with Punch Out as a close second

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.