MFGG Forums
Is Gaming Essentially Childish? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Is Gaming Essentially Childish? (/showthread.php?tid=372)

Is Gaming Essentially Childish? - Mariotroid - 01-14-2018

This is something I thought about for awhile when reading something on a Facebook group. Is Gaming Childish? I mean, interactivity with a bunch of data shouldn' inherently be childish, but a lot of people say it is. What do the people of MFGG say?

As for myself, I don't believe gaming is childish. I believe people who put too much interest in it that it becomes a disorder makes it seem childish. Like, I agree, Nintendo games are childish but there are a lot of M rated games out there. What' your stance?

RE: Is Gaming Essentially Childish? - DustinVG - 01-14-2018

Perhaps it used to be, I dunno, but it’s definitely not anymore.

RE: Is Gaming Essentially Childish? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 01-14-2018

You don't have to play rated M games to play games without being childish. As long as you act maturely, you can enjoy whatever you wish to enjoy that is not harmful. Nintendo games, Disney and Pixar films, etc. are targeted toward family, not just children, so enjoying them isn't abnormal in any way despite them being child friendly. I enjoy some M games, but I lean toward Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda because they provide lighthearted fun and great visuals.

As you mentioned, getting way into games is a childish thing because adults would recognize that games are not all that important in the long run. People who get fired up by games or who play games excessively can be seen as childish because, like a child, they don't realize that it is not top priority.

RE: Is Gaming Essentially Childish? - Kritter - 01-14-2018

I don't think it ever was. It's a form of entertainment much the same as watching a movie or reading a book. It can and has been enjoyed by adults for many years. People who call gaming "childish" are usually people who don't play games (yet most likely still frequently play Candy Crush or Bejeweled on their phones).

Usually people say games are childish because "you're an adult playing games, grow up" and it usually has nothing to do with the games rating. I find that viewpoint rather ridiculous though.

RE: Is Gaming Essentially Childish? - VinnyVideo - 01-14-2018

In the 80's and early 90's, game companies tended to focus on the 8-12 age range in their marketing. That's really not the case these days, though.

You don't have to stop playing colorful platformers with bouncy music and switch to gray FPS games just because you're in your teens or 20's or 50's or whatnot. High-quality work - whether it's a game, a book, or a movie - is frequently enjoyable to a broad audience.

RE: Is Gaming Essentially Childish? - Mariotroid - 01-14-2018

(01-14-2018, 09:50 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: In the 80's and early 90's, game companies tended to focus on the 8-12 age range in their marketing. That's really not the case these days, though.

You don't have to stop playing colorful platformers with bouncy music and switch to gray FPS games just because you're in your teens or 20's or 50's or whatnot. High-quality work - whether it's a game, a book, or a movie - is frequently enjoyable to a broad audience.

I played both Call of Duty WW2 for PS4 and Super Mario Odyssey lately. I'm pretty sure they'e both as good. So yeah, I agree with this.

RE: Is Gaming Essentially Childish? - DustinVG - 01-14-2018

An unfortunate amount of people tend to assume that if something is accessible to kids, then it couldn't have possibly have factored adults in. Perhaps I'm biased, but I've found this to often be untrue. As far as I've been able to tell, Nintendo has tended to use more general terms like "players", which makes sense as, as a company with a bottom line to look after, I'm sure they'll accept any money they can get.

RE: Is Gaming Essentially Childish? - Zero Kirby - 01-15-2018

There's nothing childish about enjoying things made for children as long as you know when you need to be an adult.

Conversely, I've always felt that going to great lengths to prove something isn't childish usually ends up being the most childish thing of all.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.