MFGG Forums
DEMO (Scrapped) Make America Mario Again - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: DEMO (Scrapped) Make America Mario Again (/showthread.php?tid=381)

(Scrapped) Make America Mario Again - HylianDev - 01-18-2018

[Image: jZFJS7e.png]

[ Download Demo 5 ]

Plot

The Mushroom Kingdom is no longer great. Mario goes on a journey, searching far and wide, for someone who can make it great once more!

Will he lead the world into a utopian paradise? Will he sell out to politics? Will he die trying?

Levels

- Intro
- Bad Placeo (one boss)
- The South (two bosses)
- Jacksonville (one boss)
- Tumblr (one boss)
- A house (one boss)
- Bowser Tower (unfinished)

Screenshots

RE: Make America Mario Again - VinnyVideo - 01-18-2018

I played most of it. The platforming is all right, although it's annoying that you get sent to the previous room every time you lose a life.

Also, the comedic effect would be greatly enhanced if you had music and sound effects. Good sound is a big part of what makes a funny game memorable.

Regardless, it's better than Spoopy Maryo.

RE: Make America Mario Again - HylianDev - 01-18-2018

I'll probably update it tomorrow afternoon. I plan for the update to remove the previous screen punishment, and also include sprites, sounds, less background contrast, and some touched-up level design. Possibly more levels too.

RE: Make America Mario Again - HylianDev - 01-19-2018

I posted a new demo. Now contains music and sprites! Plus more levels and another boss.

RE: Make America Mario Again - VinnyVideo - 01-19-2018

It's definitely better than the first version.

You should make it that the Goomba sprites flip horizontally when they change directions - unless you meant to have Moonwalking Goombas.

RE: Make America Mario Again - YoshisIsland3 - 01-20-2018

Looks like a prequel to Mario is Missing.

RE: Make America Mario Again - Parakarry - 01-20-2018

Is there going to be collusion with the Koopa Troop?

RE: Make America Mario Again - HylianDev - 01-22-2018

Demo 4 is now available!

It includes a full new world and two new bosses! Plus some new mechanics, and some levels have been touched up.

[Image: unknown.png]

RE: Make America Mario Again - GothGirlGangBlasterMaster - 01-22-2018

g*sh the athiest was a tough boss fight
must be his amorality. not believing in hell has made him a ruthlessly efficient killer

RE: Make America Mario Again - VinnyVideo - 01-22-2018

The fourth wall got thoroughly broken.

Also, this game may or may not be capable of offending All People Ever. You probably didn't kill Kenny, though.

RE: Make America Mario Again (Demo v5.0) - HylianDev - 01-23-2018

Updated to Demo 5, which is the final demo.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w87340gm7zc9w5k/america-demo5.1.zip?dl=0

The game now contains 7 worlds and 6 bosses.

EDIT: the previous link had a bug lol

RE: Make America Mario Again (Demo v5.1) - VinnyVideo - 01-24-2018

I played through the latest version. This is old news by now, but did you mean to write "an lovely place" in Mario's dialogue near the beginning?

Also, you should probably add a variable that reduces Mario's animation speed. In GM, we call it image_speed, and I'm sure Flash has something similar.

RE: Make America Mario Again (Demo v5.1) - HylianDev - 01-29-2018

So, it got scrapped and stuff. I'm working on an actual fangame that isn't a joke game. There might be a topic soon.

If anybody wants to criticize the level design, that would be awesome. This was a pretty fun experiment in creating levels for me. I don't think any of them are great but I think they at least have rhyme and reason to them.

(01-24-2018, 11:27 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: I played through the latest version. This is old news by now, but did you mean to write "an lovely place" in Mario's dialogue near the beginning?

Also, you should probably add a variable that reduces Mario's animation speed. In GM, we call it image_speed, and I'm sure Flash has something similar.

Yeah all typos are either intentional or I didn't plan on removing them if I found them unless they altered the meaning of the message in a way I didn't like.

About Mario's animation speed, that was also intentional. I could've made it more normal (or made it based on your current speed), but I thought it would be goofy to make it really fast.

RE: (Scrapped) Make America Mario Again - Fun With Despair - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 04:17 PM)HylianDev Wrote: So, it got scrapped and stuff. I'm working on an actual fangame that isn't a joke game. There might be a topic soon.

If anybody wants to criticize the level design, that would be awesome. This was a pretty fun experiment in creating levels for me. I don't think any of them are great but I think they at least have rhyme and reason to them.

I hate to be that guy, but after just streaming a huge list of MFGG games including Make America Mario Again, the level design is downright awful and probably the worst part.

The idea that there was rhyme or reason needs to be shot out of your mind. They were random solid color blocks on top of a JPEG, and I mean random. Like, there was no real structure to it beyond a shitload of just straight lines of blocks, with one block space between them. The enemy placement was terrible nonsense too, with the Goombas just being pasted around on random platforms and barely-working slopes.

RE: (Scrapped) Make America Mario Again - VinnyVideo - 01-29-2018

I had no problem with the slopes, but I agree that the level design often felt kind of random.

Make America Mario Again was an improvement over your previous games. It was a step forward in your game-making journey, but I can definitely understand if you didn't want to put more time into it at this point... even if it does feature The One and Only VinnyVideo (who totally isn't Shad Khan in disguise).

In the future, I'd give some serious consideration to using a development IDE that isn't Flash. Flash was huge in the past, but it's a dying standard, and in the not-too-distant future, it may be very difficult to play Flash games. Fortunately, once you know how to make games in one development environment, it becomes a lot easier to transfer these skills to another environment.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.