MFGG Forums
WIP Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: WIP Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties (/showthread.php?tid=406)

Pages: 1 2

Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Vitiman - 01-24-2018

(First, let me preface this by saying no, a rebrand is not what I'm suggesting. Not now, at least. More of a transitional approach to the future of MFGG)

In the 15+ years that this site has existed, many other fangaming websites have come and gone. In fact, even prior to MFGG's existence there at least more than a few fangame websites devoted to making amateur parodies/tributes to your favourite big name franchises; it's no secret that MFGG wasn't the first ever and it wasn't the last.

"wasn't the last". Perhaps this doesn't ring as true as it once did, but it isn't technically true yet. Yet. I'm afraid there isn't any fear-mongering here, just a sad truth of the new internet age. Many of the staples of the fangame community have died out. ZFGN has an entirely infamous existence, popping in and out multiple times in the last couple of years. Kirby's Rainbow Resort is a dead wasteland with a forum that was abandoned by its moderation. The only other source of fangaming still fairly active on the internet today would be the Sonic community, of all things. Sonic Retro is fairly thriving, and as far as I can tell SFGHQ is somehow still chugging along with a pretty fair community (fair considering niche websites don't get nearly as much traffic as they once did, MFGG included).

So what does this mean for other fangames? Well, I personally think it would be in MFGG's best interest to finally expand to allow other Nintendo properties to be submitted on the main site. You can still be Mario Fan Games Galaxy (the same way TV Tropes is still TV Tropes while covering far more than just television nowadays, for example), but I do think it's finally time to open the gates and let people submit more than just Mario fangames and resources. Think about the potential content growth from this: you'd get a huge amount of people who normally had no interest in making Mario fangames suddenly having a website and community who are now interested in their Zelda engine tech demo or their attempt to do a top-down F-Zero racer, or maybe even a long-awaited fanmade Ice Climbers 2! The possibilities are honestly endless from this. That isn't to say you could never thrive on just Mario alone - the plumber will keep going strong, just as a desire to make fan content will. But you would greatly benefit from allowing Nintendo content as a whole; the entire community would, really.

In closing, this would be a very easy thing to implement. I think that's important to take note of, too. It's all as simple as updating your guidelines, announcing it and adding some short-term categories while you work on adding more in the near future. I think it's a great idea and could future-proof MFGG for quite some time!

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Snessy the duck - 01-24-2018

This is honestly one of the best ideas ever. Please make it happen.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - VinnyVideo - 01-24-2018

It's definitely something to consider. My understanding is a lot of Nintendo-centric fangame sites have bitten the dust in recent years. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any Metroid or Kirby fangame sites left, and ZFGN has had an ever-rocky ride. MFGG has had its relative ups and downs, of course, but we've had the benefit of a far more stable server and leadership team.

My biggest concern is "scope creep" - sometimes it's easier to occupy a small niche and do it well (Mario fangames) than it is to do a lot of things well.

One idea I had was when lumaSMS gets finished, we could make two parallel sites - the MFGG mainsite and a new "Nintendo Fan Games Galaxy" for non-Mario stuff. The two sites would have different graphics, but you'd be able to log on using the same credentials.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Parakarry - 01-24-2018

I've considered about this a few times.
Because many (if not all?) of those other fangaming sites have since disappeared or something, MFGG could become more like a "NFGG", Nintendo being the N. But keeping the name.
Having like a subsection of Nintendo-verse games.
Though i think a lot of those games get put on Gamejolt now. Would be nice to have them here too!

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Pedigree - 01-24-2018

Please at least add sections for other Nintendo content. You can keep Mario as the featured content, but a place for other content would be welcome.

For the record, Bowser Technologies wasn't just Mario content. There were other franchises including Sonic the Hedgehog (which we're not really asking for).

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Zero Kirby - 01-24-2018

Yeah, there's no reason not to, really.

I for one would like to see the expansion to other Nintendo properties. If it means we get some neato Zelda and Metroid fangames, then I'm a happy camper.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Saltman - 01-24-2018

Initially mostly joined this place because it was about Mario stuff.

But the idea is nice, so I'd say do it if you want.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Parakarry - 01-24-2018

To my knowledge MFGG has become the premier fangaming site anyway.
Though again, a lot of games now are on Gamejolt. Wonder how we can add to the site like that.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Kritter - 01-24-2018

Part of me would love MFGG to expand into N(intendo)FGG territory, but the other part of me worries that without our relatively small niche, we'd draw more attention and possibly risk a take-down.

Honestly, now is the best time to discuss this with the next iteration of MFGG yet to launch, there's still time to expand / rebrand / whatever. Really, this websites survival might depend on that.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Pedigree - 01-25-2018

The biggest problem with adding new content types and sections is that Taloncrossing is incredibly difficult to customize. So chances are an addition this big will have to come with "lumaSMS".

I don't think we need to rebrand just yet. Start small with some content sections dedicated to other Nintendo content and then rebrand if needed depending on the amount of new content we receive under the "Other Nintendo" umbrella.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Mariotroid - 01-25-2018

It's a good idea. I'd love to make a Metroid fangame or minigame or two and submit them to the main site for people to critique and play.

AM2R forums are pretty dead anyway.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Kritter - 01-26-2018

(01-25-2018, 02:50 AM)Pedigree Wrote: The biggest problem with adding new content types and sections is that Taloncrossing is incredibly difficult to customize. So chances are an addition this big will have to come with "lumaSMS".

I don't think we need to rebrand just yet. Start small with some content sections dedicated to other Nintendo content and then rebrand if needed depending on the amount of new content we receive under the "Other Nintendo" umbrella.

I just think you can't call the place "Mario Fan Games Galaxy" and put a footnote like:

*you can also submit other Nintendo stuff too...

99% of the visitors who come through here won't know that there's non-Mario related content. It's like, I wouldn't go to The Mushroom Kingdom website expecting to find Starfox files. If you're going to accept content from other properties, there's no point keeping the name MFGG. And yeah it won't really work well on Taloncrossing.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Parakarry - 01-26-2018

To be honest I'm curious as to Thunder Dragon's opinion on this.
This would be good for the site if done the right way...

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Thunder Dragon - 01-26-2018

^ I'm all for it.  I don't feel it is my place to impose any ideas in regards to this site's future, having moved far away from fangaming in general, but this has nonetheless remained an idea of mine for years now.  Above all, though, I feel it would be a necessity for this site to have a separate section for indie games made by community members.  As this is a niche community, there would be less worries on the part of indie developers seeing their creations vanish into the bowels of obscurity, as they most very likely would on a much larger indie game site.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Pedigree - 01-26-2018

Seeing @Syaxamaphone's War Girl featured on MFGG would be a grand day.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Willsaber - 01-27-2018

(01-26-2018, 11:38 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Seeing @Syaxamaphone's War Girl featured on MFGG would be a grand day.

Isn't that being distributed exclusively on Steam for commercial purposes?

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Pedigree - 01-27-2018

You could still feature the game, a demo and link the steam page.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - Cruise Elroy - 01-27-2018

As most other people have said, I'm completely fine with it happening.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - DustinVG - 01-27-2018

I think I'm for this on a base level, though exactly how we'd want to do it is another story.

RE: Allow fangames from all Nintendo properties - PixelatedIvan - 01-30-2018

I think just adding much more categories but keeping our name and focus on Mario would be best, as it will not draw too much attention from Large Corporations.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.