MFGG Forums
Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) (/showthread.php?tid=442)

Pages: 1 2

Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Mariotroid - 02-03-2018

Switch=Got that, Mario Odyssey=Got that, Played Odyssey= did that, beat Odyssey= did that Enjoyed Odyssey?= A bit, it was definitely cute.

Anywhoo you all probably heard this before but the game is overrated. It was fun to collect all the fun stuff, but it does not deserve an incredible amount of praise. I liked it, sure. However, I'll have to say it was a bit linear and I don't think the story or game will stand the test of time or age well. I find the plot might make people cringe in a decade from now, and it is a really childish plot. Mario was never a child's game. It was a game for everyone, including youngings. I hope Mario never loses this flair of "E for Everyone" not "B for Babies". These are my two cents on Odyssey. Anyway, I liked the game. Just don't call it one of the best games of all time.

(Or am I just pessimistic cause of a breakup? - Anywhoo)

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - GStache - 02-03-2018

I honestly found the game very underwhelming compared to the other 3D Marios, mainly because about half the moons are repetitive and personally not all that exciting. 

Like walking a goomba all the way to the edge of a cliff for a single moon is not what I call fun....

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 02-03-2018

The plot is pretty much the same as every other Mario game, though. How will it make people cringe more than any other 3D Mario game plot? The only issue relating to plot I had, which isn't a huge issue, is how non-threatening Bowser was in comparison to SM64. I think that's just the direction his character took, though, as in Galaxy and Sunshine he was just as goofy.
I don't think Mario has ever striven to appeal to teens or adults in the story department. Where it typically does is in the gameplay, and I think they did that very well here. The game was a bit easier than I'd have liked, but I still had a blast with it.

I agree that a good portion of the moons weren't that exciting, but given the amount of moons needed to get through the main story you can easily avoid most tedious moons. Because they're so plentiful grabbing a moon doesn't grant the same satisfaction as grabbing a star or shine sprite, though. I'm not sure how I feel about the abundance of moons because, while I do like that they encourage exploration, grabbing a moon became underwhelming after the first area.

I think where this game shines is in the wackiness of it. The transformations completely change how you play the game, with the tank turning it into a third person shooter and such. Watching my brother, who had seen nothing of the game beforehand, play the game was really fun because of his reactions to the weird scenarios and characters.

As for the linear gameplay, it certainly isn't as open as, say, Breath of the Wild, but it isn't really the type of game to be that open. It's far more open than any other 3D Mario game.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Kritter - 02-04-2018

To each their own but for me, Odyssey shines above the likes of Galaxy and Sunshine. I personally found Galaxy (the first one anyway) very overrated. I mean they crammed a lot in but I never liked the idea of everything being a series of "asteroids" in space. The best levels were the ones that were actually a proper level like the bee world. The second was better in that it seemed to lighten up a bit and added more personality. The gameplay in Odyssey is a pleasure to play, I don't ever feel like I'm fighting the controls or physics or the camera and if I mess up, it usually feels like my fault.

Not to mention that if I happen to screw up, I don't have to wait 50 million years for the game to play the "YOU FAILED YOU USELESS a**h***" music, go back to the hub, then make me go back into the level again and get myself back to where I was only to die again.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Friendly Dictator - 02-04-2018

odyssey is the best mario game in like 10 years

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Mr. Yoshbert - 02-04-2018

(02-03-2018, 03:11 AM)Mariotroid Wrote: ...I don't think the story or game will stand the test of time or age well. I find the plot might make people cringe in a decade from now, and it is a really childish plot. Mario was never a child's game. It was a game for everyone, including youngings. I hope Mario never loses this flair of "E for Everyone" not "B for Babies".
How is Odyssey's plot more "childish" than any other game in the series?  
Is it because it puts a (rather silly) spin on the old "Bowser kidnaps Peach" idea?  
Is it because it makes use of a bunch of weird new characters like Cappy and the Broodals?  
Is it because it employs a bit of levity and doesn't take itself absolutely seriously?  
Is it because it doesn't have a lot of deep backstory?  

How do you get "B for Babies" from what Odyssey does when previous Mario games, especially the 3D ones, have done the same thing?  This line of thinking is just as disingenuous as saying Nintendo games are childish because they have goofy-looking characters and colorful cartoon-like aesthetics.

(02-03-2018, 03:11 AM)Mariotroid Wrote: Just don't call it one of the best games of all time.
Hey, I don't think Breath of the Wild was an ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE IN GAME DESIGN 11/10 BEST GAME FOREVER, but I'm not gonna go around telling people to stop praising it just because they see more in it than I do.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - chaoxys - 02-04-2018

It uses the same plot as pretty much every Mario game before it, just with more depth, like, instead of "Bowser is kidnapping Peach", it actually goes into detail to explain that he's doing it to marry her, something that hasn't been touched on outside of the Paper Mario games as far as I can remember. That doesn't make it "B for Babies".

As for it being linear, it's really not. Sure, some levels form a more linear path to the ultimate goal, like Bowser's Kingdom and what not, but theres still moons all over that allow for more varied exploration. I feel like a lot of it is an attempt to find a middle ground for the fans of the more recent 3D Mario games, and the more open ones of the past.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Kritter - 02-04-2018

Not to mention that it's a game that actually lets you keep going after you've finished the main story. I LOOOOOVE when games do that, in fact I'd say there's possibly MORE post-game content than main-game content. 

Nothing worse than beating the end boss then being returned to the world before the final boss and everyone acting like you haven't achieved something amazing. I'm looking at you BotW. If the Oracle games can do post-game content, why not you?

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Syaxamaphone - 02-04-2018

tbh its fine to dislike a game but why does everyone jump right to 'overrated'?

Like its not enough to just not like a game, you gotta hate on everyone else for liking it?

smh fam

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Mariotroid - 02-05-2018

I still like the game. I just mean by the story that it is a bit cringey. In the old Mario 64, Bowser was a #badguy and a bad ass. The wedding just seems goofy. There's no explanation as to why Mario isn't a normal human like you see in New Donk City. Anyway, this game might be a classic and go to route of SMRPG with it bring highly original.

I still like the gane. I would just say Sunshine and Galaxy were better games, and they don't get "best game ever" praise.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 02-05-2018

I don't think there needed to be an explanation as to why Mario and the New Donk City folk look different. That'd have kind of ruined it and probably have ended up being really weird in a not so good way. The wedding was supposed to be goofy because the entire game is goofy. How does that make it "cringey"?

Galaxy certainly does get "best game ever" praise.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Mariotroid - 02-05-2018

Yeah I suppose you're right about it being a goofy game for goofy's sake. I guess I'm just a little disappointed and need another run though it.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - OssieTheOstrich - 02-06-2018

Are we saying Odyssey is good or are we complaining that Odyssey is for Babies Confused ?
PS: Don't have a Switch nor Super Mario Odyssey.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - GStache - 02-06-2018

(02-04-2018, 06:56 PM)Kritter Wrote: Not to mention that it's a game that actually lets you keep going after you've finished the main story. I LOOOOOVE when games do that, in fact I'd say there's possibly MORE post-game content than main-game content. 

Nothing worse than beating the end boss then being returned to the world before the final boss and everyone acting like you haven't achieved something amazing. I'm looking at you BotW. If the Oracle games can do post-game content, why not you?

idk about you but the post-game content was too much and proved that quantity over quality isn't always a good thing. Really, the only good thing you unlock after beating the game is the Mushroom Kingdom, which is one of my favorite kingdoms in the game. Sadly, I can't say the same for the rest of the post-game content because moons are spread literally EVERYWHERE after and some of them are just hiding in plain sight. You basically get more of the same, more 2D sections, more collecting notes, more ground-pounding, etc; but it just gets way too repetitive to not have more variety at this part in the game. Then there's the Koopa Freerunning races which take WAY too long to complete if you're doing all of them for 100%.  Also, the only two other kingdoms unlocked after are super bland, with them challenging you nowhere near as much as Galaxy 1 or 2 (heck, or even 3D World). The achievement system is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a Mario game, where you get moons for collecting moons, and that you have to get all of them one.....at.......a.......time.......

All in all, just doing the main story and beating the game like that kept me with a better attitude, because I felt like I actually played through a exciting Mario game and had a very enjoyable experience.  Playing much more than that shows that the game overstays its welcome. The main reason why this bothers me so much is that Mario games have dealt with making 100% completion (most of the time) in previous games just as fun as the pre-game stuff, because even purple coin missions in Galaxy and new original levels in 3D Land and World could keep me entertained for at least a good while. Here, in Odyssey, it would make more sense to have all moons be available whenever you visit a kingdom so you could actually enjoy the game and choose how much you wanna do, because again, almost nothing exciting happens after the game is beaten for the first time. There's really no good reason I can think of why the game showers moons in similar locations after the game is beaten, since it makes backtracking a whole lot more painful.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Kritter - 02-06-2018

I loved quite a lot of the post-game moons. Yeah some are just there and easy to find, but the moon pipe challenge rooms and some of the other moons are great fun to get. Not to mention the Dark Side and Darker Side challenges. I'm currently 3 moons away from collecting them all and I'm honestly pretty sad that the game is essentially "over" for me. Aside from Galaxy 1, this'll be the first 3D Mario i've gotten 100% on.

I dunno how you figure the Koopa freerunning events take forever, I think they're quite fun and challenging and they force you (especially on the Master difficulty) to think about how you can get around the levels in crafty and interesting ways. Some of them are over in 30 seconds or less.

I can agree that the achievement system was dumb though, but my son thought it was hilarious that I got dozens of moons so quickly one after the other by talking to Toadette.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Zero Kirby - 02-06-2018

I really don't get the complaining about the plot of the game at all, I'm afraid

Galaxy 2 had Bowser kidnap Peach literally just to have her bake a giant cake

Be still my beating heart

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Mariotroid - 02-06-2018

(02-06-2018, 02:46 AM)Zero Kirby Wrote: I really don't get the complaining about the plot of the game at all, I'm afraid

I should really play Galaxy 2 sometime.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Zero Kirby - 02-06-2018

(02-06-2018, 02:50 AM)Mariotroid Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 02:46 AM)Zero Kirby Wrote: I really don't get the complaining about the plot of the game at all, I'm afraid

I should really play Galaxy 2 sometime.

You haven't? It's better than Galaxy 1, I think. Then again I'm a gameplay-over-story kinda fellow when it comes to the Marios, so.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 02-06-2018

Galaxy 1 had a much better story and cutscenes as well as a better hub world, but I think Galaxy 2's gameplay is an improvement.

RE: Odyssey is overrated, (Odyssey thoughts) - Andy Journey - 02-06-2018

(02-04-2018, 06:56 PM)Kritter Wrote: Nothing worse than beating the end boss then being returned to the world before the final boss and everyone acting like you haven't achieved something amazing. I'm looking at you BotW. If the Oracle games can do post-game content, why not you?

Because Blood Moon would be gone if Ganon remains defeated. When Blood Moon is gone you'll eventually run out of enemies to fight against. You also would not be able to play through the Divine Beasts, if you choose to skip them before facing Ganon.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.