MFGG Forums
WIP Super Ancient Keys - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: WIP Super Ancient Keys (/showthread.php?tid=48)

Super Ancient Keys - DustinVG - 11-25-2017

[Image: aZeBbLY.png]
[Image: QytzT1F.png][Image: jvgTVWI.png][Image: TzkV1Im.png][Image: L968M9q.png]

Story
Shiff T. is a young toad with a exciting and dangerous hobby: thieving and treasure hunting with her friend Loy'l T. They visit numerous ruins and archaeological sites together in the hunt for riches and treasure. But things go sour one day when Shiff accidentally uncovers an ancient creature under the name Omniform. The beast begins to steal and repurpose forms, shapes and bodies of the creatures in the mushroom world.

However, an ancient artifact allows Shiff to combat the menace. Using it, she is able to shapeshift at will and use the powers of various creatures in the Mario world.

Game
Super Ancient Keys is the sequel to the fangame Toad and the Ancient Keys. It is a metroidvania platformer where the player must visit various temples to locate keys to open the way to Omniform. On the way, they will uncover new and exciting forms that provide them with new moves to access new areas.

Features:
-Several temples to visit and explore
-A map and minimap system (currently wip)
-Shapeshift into Mario enemies to uncover new areas
-A fully functional dialog system (completely from scratch)
-This time, there's gonna be bosses
-A fully (or near fully) original soundtrack
-Probably some keys somewhere!

I'm aiming to be mostly accurate to SNES limitations, so some things may be changed to suit this.

Current Team
DustinVG - Programming, level design, concept, possibly composing
Neweegee - Spriting
Vimimin - Composing, logo design
LangtonLion64 - Beta testing

Former Team
LuigiM9/Kirby's Adventure - Additional character design
Syaxamaphone, Recent, Willsaber - Beta testing

RE: Super Ancient Keys - Mandew - 11-26-2017

I enjoy the castlevania vibes along with the "abandonned temples" kind of setting going on here. It actually reminds me of Pharaoh Rebirth in a subtle way!

RE: Super Ancient Keys - DustinVG - 11-26-2017

(11-26-2017, 11:23 PM)Mandew Wrote: I enjoy the castlevania vibes along with the "abandonned temples" kind of setting going on here. It actually reminds me of Pharaoh Rebirth in a subtle way!

Thanks! Can't say I've heard of the latter thing but Castlevania is absolutely an influence.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - PixelatedIvan - 02-04-2018

I remember playing the original version that I found on MFGG (with the smb2 8 bit style), nice to see the project is still being worked on.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - Evil Yoshi Toes - 02-04-2018

This sounds and looks really awesome. I remember seeing something about it before, and I'm glad it's still being worked on. I'm not very familiar with Metroidvania type gameplay, but it sounds cool from what I know.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - DustinVG - 02-05-2018

(02-04-2018, 03:31 PM)PixelatedIvan Wrote: I remember playing the original version that I found on MFGG (with the smb2 8 bit style), nice to see the project is still being worked on.

Well, in this instance, this is an entirely separate game. Though, I've toyed with the idea of an expanded version of that (though, nowhere near the scale of this).

(02-04-2018, 03:38 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: This sounds and looks really awesome. I remember seeing something about it before, and I'm glad it's still being worked on. I'm not very familiar with Metroidvania type gameplay, but it sounds cool from what I know.

Thank you! I'd definitely advise you give one a try if you have any interest in the genre.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - Mariotroid - 02-08-2018

Looks like a solid game!! Well done, I'm excited to play this when it's released. I love Metroidvania style games.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - DustinVG - 02-19-2018

Been working on revamping the HUD to both look better and hopefully be slightly more SNES accurate.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - Yakibomb - 02-20-2018

It looks very Super Metroid-y and SMW-y. I like I like!

Only criticism: The "coin" icon looks misaligned, even though I know it's really not due to the black border around the yellow.
If I may suggest just make all the icons on the left (HP/MP/Coins) mainstream as in make them all white, I think that'd look more uniform.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - DustinVG - 05-18-2018

MAN, it's been a little bit since I've updated this topic last. Rest assured, though, I've been working in silence as always.

I addressed (arguably) @Yakibomb's criticism with the HUD, @Neweegee made some new numbers for the health and mp bars and the font has been shaded. Tell me what you fellas think. (Or not. I understand.)

RE: Super Ancient Keys - Snessy the duck - 05-19-2018

I think I'd prefer it if the health/mushroom numbers were outside of the bars instead of inside them, like this:
[Image: UPghCUd.png]
(I also made the mushroom 1 pixel taller because I thought it looked better that way)

Otherwise, this looks really promising! Keep it up!

RE: Super Ancient Keys - DustinVG - 06-09-2018

[Image: vF7gL1t.png]

Well, HUD has been updated a bit. It's now shaded a little bit, among a few other things.

I've heard a few conflicting opinions about whether we should use the crystal icon to signify MP (left) or the pot (right), so let me know how you guys feel about that.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - Yakibomb - 06-09-2018

If I had to choose, I'd go with the pot. I like the traditional/generic RPG stuff, it's cool. And it fits with the klepto-theme, IMO.

If I may suggest something totally different however, what about a triangle, or a maybe a flower? I don't know if you mentioned what the MP is used for, so maybe that might narrow down your choices.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - Q-Nova - 06-09-2018

I think the pot signifies the magic better, so I'd go with that over the crystal. If there's any items that are used for magic, though, then it might be better to stick with one of those. A flower could also work as it's in the Mario universe, as Yakibomb suggested.

Anyway, this game is looking pretty good! I found the original game to be rather entertaining, so I'm looking forward to this one! I really like the idea of shapeshifting into Mario enemies, it just screams genius to me! One thing I want to point out, although it's related to the original post rather than the game itself, is that the features section is kinda messed up, and the .ogg preview link doesn't work. I hope that will get fixed.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - DustinVG - 06-09-2018

(06-09-2018, 07:54 PM)Yakibomb Wrote: If I had to choose, I'd go with the pot. I like the traditional/generic RPG stuff, it's cool. And it fits with the klepto-theme, IMO.

If I may suggest something totally different however, what about a triangle, or a maybe a flower? I don't know if you mentioned what the MP is used for, so maybe that might narrow down your choices.
(06-09-2018, 08:09 PM)Q-Nova Wrote: I think the pot signifies the magic better, so I'd go with that over the crystal. If there's any items that are used for magic, though, then it might be better to stick with one of those. A flower could also work as it's in the Mario universe, as Yakibomb suggested.

Oh yeah, sorry. The MP is used to either maintain the transformations or to use the attacks thereof. Haven't really settled on which yet.

The reason we initially went with the crystal was because my idea was to use the gems from Super Princess Peach (shown above).

(06-09-2018, 08:09 PM)Q-Nova Wrote: Anyway, this game is looking pretty good! I found the original game to be rather entertaining, so I'm looking forward to this one! I really like the idea of shapeshifting into Mario enemies, it just screams genius to me! One thing I want to point out, although it's related to the original post rather than the game itself, is that the features section is kinda messed up, and the .ogg preview link doesn't work. I hope that will get fixed.

Thank you.

I somehow didn't notice the OP was broken, but then again, I don't think anybody else did, either. Kinda figures you'd be the first!

I fixed it and removed the OGG preview link. The original preview was composed by @Vitiman, who currently is no longer working on the project with me.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - Honey Saucer Gengar - 06-10-2018

Maybe there should be multiple bosses like Tryclyde and king boo.

My suggestions for transformations: 
A thunder lakitu whose lightning is required to press electrical switches 
A bandit who can steal weapons required to break certain walls 
An Ant trooper who can climb up walls to ceiling doors 
A dry bones who can disassemble in order to avoid being seen in certain dungeons 
Do you like my ideas?

RE: Super Ancient Keys - DustinVG - 09-06-2018

It's time for another exciting edition of "Dustin can't decide how to design his own game"!

RE: Super Ancient Keys - VinnyVideo - 09-06-2018

I chose the first option, but it depends on how the system is implemented. If the special moves are really powerful, you obviously don't want players to be able to spam them constantly.

However, if you're relying on the special forms to pass obstacles, you'll want to be generous with the amount of time players can use them. For example, it would be annoying if you had to use a certain power-up, ran out of oomph, and then had to wait a long time for your meter to recharge.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - DustinVG - 09-07-2018

(09-06-2018, 08:01 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: However, if you're relying on the special forms to pass obstacles, you'll want to be generous with the amount of time players can use them. For example, it would be annoying if you had to use a certain power-up, ran out of oomph, and then had to wait a long time for your meter to recharge.

A valid concern, but worry not! There will likely be MP items or recharge blocks near areas where certain moves are absolutely mandatory.

RE: Super Ancient Keys - DustinVG - 07-20-2019

Do not let my 6-7 month absence distract you from the fact Omniform is still out there...

New (WIP) data select menu! The old one just wasn't practical given that the final game is gonna have, at least, a whopping 9 save slots.

[Image: jvgTVWI.png]

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.