MFGG Forums
Are these character sprites too big for a 16 bit Mario fan game? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Are these character sprites too big for a 16 bit Mario fan game? (/showthread.php?tid=497)

Are these character sprites too big for a 16 bit Mario fan game? - HellJumper - 02-14-2018

If so, then I will design the levels around their size, but do you think I should just start from scratch and make new sprites for the characters? I mean, the sprites I have here are more accurate to their actual designs than really any custom sprite style that Mario has been drawn in, where his body is the same height as his head, or something like that. I'm kinda going for a more real modern look with these, which is why they appear bigger. And if there is a gap that is 2 tiles large that the characters must get through, then that's what their crouch walk animations will be for. But what do you guys think? Because I'm not sure I can confidently make these characters with their modern designs in such small space to do so. 

[Image: mario_bros_and_wario_bros_sprite_preview...c169ip.png]

RE: Are these character sprites too big for a 16 bit Mario fan game? - VinnyVideo - 02-14-2018

These sprites are a pretty typical size for 16-bit Mario games (assuming they're scaled down to their regular size). If you think they're too big, you could compensate by making the window size a bit bigger than usual.

As for the squeezing under small gaps part, including a crouch walk animation would look nice. Also keep in mind that it's usually OK to make collision boxes a bit smaller than the actual sprites.

RE: Are these character sprites too big for a 16 bit Mario fan game? - HellJumper - 02-14-2018

(02-14-2018, 10:50 AM)VinnyVideo Wrote: These sprites are a pretty typical size for 16-bit Mario games (assuming they're scaled down to their regular size). If you think they're too big, you could compensate by making the window size a bit bigger than usual.

Well, scaling them down to me would look a bit odd. Because then, the pixels used in the character sprites would appear smaller than the ones for everything else, and as a result, it'd look a tad off. But it's good to know that you don't see them as too big. 

(02-14-2018, 10:50 AM)VinnyVideo Wrote: As for the squeezing under small gaps part, including a crouch walk animation would look nice. Also keep in mind that it's usually OK to make collision boxes a bit smaller than the actual sprites.

Yeah, making the collision boxes like maybe 2 pixels shorter was already on my to-do list.

RE: Are these character sprites too big for a 16 bit Mario fan game? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 02-14-2018

I think he just meant scaling them down to 100%, since right now it looks like you've blown them up.

RE: Are these character sprites too big for a 16 bit Mario fan game? - HellJumper - 02-14-2018

(02-14-2018, 12:39 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: I think he just meant scaling them down to 100%, since right now it looks like you've blown them up.

Well, yeah. To make them more visible.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.