MFGG Forums
What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? (/showthread.php?tid=519)

Pages: 1 2

What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - HellJumper - 02-18-2018

Mario is the all around type, Luigi can jump higher, but has worse traction, Wario has his shoulder dash, and is slower than the others, but what would Waluigi's be? 

Would it involve his tennis racket? Would it have something to do with his extremely strong legs? His ability to swim in the air in some of the sports games he has been in? Waluigi's ability in Midas Machine is cool and all, but it's extremely situational. 

[Image: hEyC9EZ.png]

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Willsaber - 02-18-2018

He could have the longest wall jump, because of his legs.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Yakibomb - 02-18-2018

Maybe he could become a human projectile? He could get so mad he just EXPLODES into the sky! Not sure if that's apart of his character, though.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Saltman - 02-18-2018

Swimming in the air is a good ability.

But since Wario has that elbow bash attack, Waluigi also should have an attack. Maybe throwing bob-ombs? Or hitting them with a tennis racket? Idk.

Or he could also scream "wah" until everyone in the screen dies.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - GamerInGeorgia - 02-18-2018

Well, you have a "middle-man", a high jumper, and an attacker. Why not make Waluigi the faster one?

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 02-18-2018

(02-18-2018, 08:41 PM)GamerInGeorgia Wrote: Well, you have a "middle-man", a high jumper, and an attacker. Why not make Waluigi the faster one?

That's already Toad's thing, though.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - GamerInGeorgia - 02-18-2018

@Evil Yoshi Toes - He did't say he was including Toad as a playable character, so I thought to apply his "speediness" to Waluigi.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - littlelum - 02-18-2018

How about a kick attack?

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - OssieTheOstrich - 02-19-2018

Swimming faster underwater perhaps?

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 02-19-2018

(02-19-2018, 12:13 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote: Swimming faster underwater perhaps?

That would be interesting, kind of like the frog suit where he'll have more control over his underwater movements? I can imagine him doing a funny frog swim with those long legs of his, like in Mario Power Tennis.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - HellJumper - 02-19-2018

(02-18-2018, 11:29 PM)littlelum Wrote: How about a kick attack?

Well, kicking is something Mario, Luigi, and Wario can also do, so it'd be weird if it was a move exclusive to Waluigi. 

And I already had the idea of making him swim faster as if he had the Blue Shell, Penguin Suit, or the Frog Suit. And yes, he will be faster on foot, and will have a more powerful long jump. 

But aside from his speed, jump height, etc, what would his special ability be? Should he just be skinny? 

Another idea I have is if I give him the ability to go extra skinny, he can fit in those tiny pipes that the other characters would need a mini mushroom for.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 02-19-2018

Something kind of silly but that might work would be to have him make like a helicopter and fall slowly to the ground if he pleases. It'd be unique from Peach's signature float ability because he'd float down rather than straight backward and forward. I think if the animation is done well it could work as a form of comedy as well as a gameplay mechanic, with his spindly arms and all, which I think is appropriate for such a weird character.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - OssieTheOstrich - 02-19-2018

(02-19-2018, 01:19 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: Something kind of silly but that might work would be to have him make like a helicopter and fall slowly to the ground if he pleases. It'd be unique from Peach's signature float ability because he'd float down rather than straight backward and forward. I think if the animation is done well it could work as a form of comedy as well as a gameplay mechanic, with his spindly arms and all, which I think is appropriate for such a weird character.
Like Yoshi's Flutter Jump or Raccoon Mario slowing his fall?

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Syaxamaphone - 02-20-2018

What if he walked off a ledge he could run in the air for a moment before falling down?

He could jump in this state from midair back onto the platform or jump forward to clear a gap he normally couldn't.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - OssieTheOstrich - 02-20-2018

(02-20-2018, 12:22 AM)Syaxamaphone Wrote: What if he walked off a ledge he could run in the air for a moment before falling down?

He could jump in this state from midair back onto the platform or jump forward to clear a gap he normally couldn't.

Like Wylie Coyote? (Who is sometimes a "Super Genius")

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Saltman - 02-20-2018

tbh all the abilities mentioned here sound like power-ups or stuff that other characters can do.

Floating down is something you can already do with the feather flower. Kicking is something everyone else can do with koopa shells (unless it's some kind of kick dash or something like that but Wario can already dash anyway). Running faster is something that Toad can do, etc.

I really think swimming in the air would be cool. Like, he jumps really high and then you press the junp key again to swim somewhere to control where you go (up, down, left, right). If you don't go anywhere but keep pressing the key you just float down by waving your arms, for a brief time. 

I can't think of anything else, but I think it's a good idea to try create it in base of something Waluigi's well known for. Bob-Ombs, dancing, his tennis racket or, again, swimming in the air.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 02-20-2018

(02-20-2018, 01:12 PM)Saltman Wrote: tbh all the abilities mentioned here sound like power-ups or stuff that other characters can do.

Floating down is something you can already do with the feather flower. Kicking is something everyone else can do with koopa shells (unless it's some kind of kick dash or something like that but Wario can already dash anyway). Running faster is something that Toad can do, etc.

I really think swimming in the air would be cool. Like, he jumps really high and then you press the junp key again to swim somewhere to control where you go (up, down, left, right). If you don't go anywhere but keep pressing the key you just float down by waving your arms, for a brief time. 

I can't think of anything else, but I think it's a good idea to try create it in base of something Waluigi's well known for. Bob-Ombs, dancing, his tennis racket or, again, swimming in the air.

I mean that could be a power-up too. All the character's abilities could be power ups, it just depends on whether or not that power up is present in game. It's also worth noting that these characters would be able to do this stuff even without the power ups.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Mariotroid - 02-21-2018

I think a kick dash makes sense. He's Warios clone. Instead of big arms he has strong powerful legs.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 03:10 AM)Mariotroid Wrote: I think a kick dash makes sense. He's Warios clone. Instead of big arms he has strong powerful legs.

But what would be the difference between the kick dash and Wario's shoulder dash? Mario and Luigi are clones too but they don't have similar abilities.

RE: What would Waluigi's special ability be in a 2D Mario platformer? - Xander - 02-21-2018

Here's my implementation of his jump/swim:
https://twitter.com/Xand0r/status/936277199782600704

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.