MFGG Forums
Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.5 - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: News and Events (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.5 (/showthread.php?tid=541)

Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.5 - Pedigree - 02-22-2018

The following rules and guidelines were created with reference to rules listed on the wiki and additional ones added to cover concerns that have arisen in the past.

A competition is one of our most frequent community activities, bringing us together to create and compete. We host a variety of them including (but not limited to) Drawing Competitions, Minigame Competitions, Music Competitions and Sprite Competitions. You may find examples of these in The Vault or browse our nearly complete competition history on the Official MFGG Wiki.

The goal in most competitions is to create an entry from scratch within the given time frame, utilizing the theme and following the rules set forth by the host.

General Rules
The following rules apply to all competitions, unless otherwise stated in the specific competition rules themselves:
  • Each participant may submit an unlimited number of entries, but must select one entry as their final submission for the voting process.
  • You may not submit an entry that was created or started outside of the competition for any reason.
  • You may not submit someone else's work as your own. Resources and teams are covered further below.
  • The host of the competition, in most cases, has the final say on whether your entry may or may not be disqualified. However, they may only disqualify your entry if it violates rules they have already established previously in the thread.
  • Your entry must not violate any of our Forum Rules.
  • Unless stated otherwise by the host, your entry does not need to be Mario related. This means that competitions aren't required to be Mario related either, should you get a chance to host one.
  • Competitions may have up to two deadline extensions and the extensions must only be for one week at a time.

Drawing Competitions
  • Your entry may only be traditional art such as works done on paper with pencil, marker, charcoal, etc or digital art such as brush, raster or vector art.
  • Pixel art is not acceptable. Pixel art is covered under Sprite Competitions, as stated below.
  • The host may require a specific medium or set of tools as stated in their rules.
Recommended length for a Drawing Competition is one to two weeks.

Minigame Competitions
Typically, a minigame is a small experience, requiring shorter development time and less investment from the player. However, in this case, the sort of minigame you develop is up to you as long as your entry abides the competition rules.
  • Your minigame may be developed in the program of your choosing. However, it must be submitted in a format that is easily playable by most. Unfortunately this means that an app developed for Android may not be acceptable, for example.
  • Your minigame may not use any premade engines created outside of the competition, even if you developed it yourself.
  • You may enlist a maximum of three team members for your project or must specifically select three team members that would receive badges, should your project win at any level.
  • Resources such as music, sound effects, and sprites may be used even if they were developed outside of the competition. However, you must give credit for any outside work and must not attempt to represent someone else's work as your own.
  • Additional rules may be set in place by the host.
Recommended length for a Minigame Competition is two to four weeks.

Music Competitions
  • Your entry must be submitted in a reasonable format that is easy to download and play for most. Lossless wave files may not be accepted, for example.
  • YouTube videos and other streaming services are acceptable.
  • Additional rules may be set by the host.
Recommended length for a Music Competition is two to four weeks.

Pixel Art Competitions
  • Your entry must be pixel art. Pixel art is generally drawn or refined on a pixel-by-pixel basis to convey meaning with limited space and colors.
  • Obvious use of line, shape or other tools that affect the quality of your submission with no clear effort to hide the usage of those tools will result in the disqualification of your entry. For example, MS Paint's circle tool produces a more jagged edge instead of one that is smoother in appearance.
  • Sprite animations, sprite sheets, etc. will still be allowed as long as the medium used to create them is pixel art.
Previously, these were referred to as Sprite Competitions. The reason for this name change is that sprites in video games are no longer limited to pixel art as a medium. For instance, many modern games with 2D visuals use vectors.

Vector art has traditionally not been allowed in these competitions because it would give Sprite Competitions too much overlap with Drawing Competitions. Pixel art versus vector art may also not be a level playing field, so we're keeping up this tradition and changing the name to make more sense considering what is or isn't allowed.

Recommended length for a Pixel Art Competition is one to two weeks.

The Voting Process
Once the deadline has been reached, the voting process may begin.
  • If there are at least six entries, we will proceed to the Top Five Voting phase. During this phase, members are asked to select their top five favorites out of the entries provided. As with both voting phases, this is done simply by listing the name of the submitter. You must vote for five entries, or your vote will not be accepted.
  • Once the Top Five have been selected, or there are five or less entries total, it is time for the Final Voting phase. During this phase, you must vote by submitting the name of the submitter of your favorite entry. You may only vote for one entrant.
  • You must not vote for yourself or any project you have worked on during any phase of the voting process.

The Reward
  • Badges will be awarded to first place, second place and the remainder of the top five entrants.
  • The first place winner will be the next competition's host.
  • The runner up will be the next competition's host if the first place winner has won twice in a row.

Spectator Etiquette
  • Please keep any feedback constructive in nature, including concerns with the host's chosen rules and theme.
  • Please do not post comments that disparage other entrants by stating that a particular entry will win at any stage.
  • Please keep any complaints about how other people are voting to yourself.

Please feel free to post any comments, concerns, questions, suggestions, etc below!

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.0 - GamerInGeorgia - 02-24-2018

(02-22-2018, 01:20 AM)Pedigree Wrote: Music Competitions
  • Your entry must be submitted in a reasonable format that is easy to download and play for most. Lossless wave files may not be accepted, for example.
  • YouTube videos and other streaming services are acceptable.
  • Additional rules may be set by the host.
Recommended length for a Minigame Competition is two to four weeks.
I don't mean to be nit-picking, but you wrote "Minigame Competition" instead of "Music Competition."

Also, is there a suggested length for voting sessions? You cut the voting session for the Drawing Competition short a week from the deadline I gave. Or was that because the victors of the Top Five Voting were clear? Confused

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.0 - Pedigree - 02-24-2018

(02-24-2018, 10:54 PM)GamerInGeorgia Wrote: I don't mean to be nit-picking, but you wrote "Minigame Competition" instead of "Music Competition."

Also, is there a suggested length for voting sessions? You cut the voting session for the Drawing Competition short a week from the deadline I gave. Or was that because the victors of the Top Five Voting were clear? Confused
Thanks for pointing that out.

As for the deadline issue, I didn't see that you had set a deadline. Sorry about that. Ultimately, however, it was because nobody else was voting and the top five was overwhelmingly decided.

There's no set time for voting sessions currently, however, in my experience if voting takes too long it affects enthusiasm when the final voting phase arrives. My personal recommendation is 2 - 3 days per voting phase but, like the competition length, there are no set rules on it.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.0 - Pedigree - 02-28-2018

Proposed changes to Sprite Competitions, based on feedback, are as follows:

1. They will be renamed to "Pixel Art Competitions". 
  • The reason for this name change is that sprites in video games are no longer limited to pixel art as a medium. For instance, many modern games with 2D visuals use vectors.
  • The "Sprite Competition" name itself has been a major source of confusion and debate because of this.
  • Allowing other kinds of mediums like vector art into Sprite Competitions would blur the lines between Drawing and Sprite Competitions. It also may, potentially, cause issues in maintaining a level playing field.
  • Sprite animations, sprite sheets, etc. will still be allowed as long as the medium used to create them is pixel art.
2. The following rule will be reworded.
  • Your entry must be pure pixel art. This means that each pixel must be placed individually and without computer aid, including brushes.
    Your entry must be pixel art. Pixel art is generally drawn or refined on a pixel-by-pixel basis to convey meaning with limited space and colors.
3. The following rule will be added.
  • Obvious use of line, shape or other tools that affect the quality of your submission with no clear effort to hide the usage of those tools will result in the disqualification of your entry. For example, MS Paint's circle tool produces a more jagged edge instead of one that is smoother in appearance.
If there are no objections, these changes will go into effect on Sunday, March 4th at 12:01AM PST.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.0 - bigpotato - 02-28-2018

I feel that the additional rule could be a bit confusing. It seems to imply that you can do anything, as long as you make it look like pixel art. The best definition of pixel art I've ever seen is that it requires absolute control over every pixel. Tools like fill and copy/paste just make easier what you could have done by hand. Things like line and circle can be explained as sort of references and, as you mentioned, rarely look good anyway. Things like gradients and automatic smoothing, however, are a bit too automatic to fall under the definition.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.0 - Pedigree - 02-28-2018

You're going to know when people use gradients and automatic smoothing. It'll be obvious. Meanwhile, there is absolutely no way to prove whether or not someone used the bucket tool to fill a large area versus drawing literally pixel by pixel.

While I appreciate the spirit and effort behind pure pixel-by-pixel art, the rules have to exist within the realm where they are reasonable and can actually be enforced.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.0 - bigpotato - 03-02-2018

Sorry, I guess I was unclear. Stuff like fill and line and circle are still good because they maintain that control, they could be done by hand. Truly going pixel-by-pixel, well, I've got to admire anyone with that tenacity.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.0 - VinnyVideo - 03-02-2018

Part of me thinks we should relax the rules and say that Sprite Competitions are for any kind of art that could be used in-game for characters, enemies, items, or obstacles, and let the voters sort out any entries that are poorly-made or are of questionable "sprite-ness".

This could be my GM-centricity showing, though, since GM now calls all graphics "sprites", regardless of how they were originally made. This could also be a bad idea.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.0 - Pedigree - 03-02-2018

Having a broad competition like that could cause issues with unfairness (comparing pixel art versus vector art), confusion about the difference between a sprite and drawing competition, etc.

Pixel art is still one of the most actively used mediums here and the competitions fo tend to be more active than the others.

Perhaps if someone wins a pixel art competition they could choose to host a competition that includes vector sprites though.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.5 - Pedigree - 03-05-2018

Competition Rules and Guidelines have been updated to version 1.5.

What's New:

Pixel Art Competitions
  • Your entry must be pixel art. Pixel art is generally drawn or refined on a pixel-by-pixel basis to convey meaning with limited space and colors.
  • Obvious use of line, shape or other tools that affect the quality of your submission with no clear effort to hide the usage of those tools will result in the disqualification of your entry. For example, MS Paint's circle tool produces a more jagged edge instead of one that is smoother in appearance.
  • Sprite animations, sprite sheets, etc. will still be allowed as long as the medium used to create them is pixel art.
Previously, these were referred to as Sprite Competitions. The reason for this name change is that sprites in video games are no longer limited to pixel art as a medium. For instance, many modern games with 2D visuals use vectors.

Vector art has traditionally not been allowed in these competitions because it would give Sprite Competitions too much overlap with Drawing Competitions. Pixel art versus vector art may also not be a level playing field, so we're keeping up this tradition and changing the name to make more sense considering what is or isn't allowed.

Recommended length for a Pixel Art Competition is one to two weeks.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.5 - Kaguya Houraisan - 03-05-2018

I have a question. Is animation acceptable in drawing competitions, even if just two frames are in the drawing?

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.5 - Pedigree - 03-05-2018

(03-05-2018, 08:52 PM)Kaguya Houraisan Wrote: I have a question. Is animation acceptable in drawing competitions, even if just two frames are in the drawing?

Historically, no, as far as I know. Your entry itself would have to be a still frame, however you could share an animated version of it separately I suppose. It just wouldn't be utilized for the voting process.

However, if someone hosting the competition has based their theme on animation or has decided that animation is allowed, that'd be a different story.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.5 - VinnyVideo - 03-05-2018

I wonder how much interest there would be if we did an Animation Competition.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.5 - E-Man - 03-06-2018

You have my vote of approval at least! My only concern is that animation takes a good while to get just right. While a month seems like a generous amount of time, it honestly isn't. Unless it's something within the scope of thirty seconds, I'd say that three months is a reasonable minimum per animation competition.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.5 - Kaguya Houraisan - 03-06-2018

(03-06-2018, 01:35 PM)E-Man Wrote: You have my vote of approval at least! My only concern is that animation takes a good while to get just right. While a month seems like a generous amount of time, it honestly isn't. Unless it's something within the scope of thirty seconds, I'd say that three months is a reasonable minimum per animation competition.

Depends of how elaborate the animation is, for example, if it includes scenery and two or more characters, then it's a pretty tough work required for it. But I assume people will have to make only what they can, given the deadline.

And yes, length is an important factor to note. The more length, the more time-consumming it is. If it is a movie, it is very likely that they won't be finished in a reasonable time. The entries might have to be more of a short portrayal of the concept, as time can afford.

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.5 - Codingkid01 - 12-21-2019

I wasn’t able to find anything on this, but are we allowed to hold our own unofficial competitions for fun? I ask this because the competitions happen so far apart, and it would give a reason to do more here. If so, where would we do so?

RE: Competition Rules and Guidelines v1.5 - Evil Yoshi Toes - 12-26-2019

(12-21-2019, 02:15 PM)Codingkid01 Wrote: I wasn’t able to find anything on this, but are we allowed to hold our own unofficial competitions for fun? I ask this because the competitions happen so far apart, and it would give a reason to do more here. If so, where would we do so?

Yes, that is perfectly OK to do. There is no promise that official badges will be made for the competition winners, though it has happened before that an unofficial competition has picked up enough traction for badges to be made. You can make it in whatever forum you think suits the topic, and if it becomes popular enough we can move it over to Events.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.