MFGG Forums
Mental Illness - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Mental Illness (/showthread.php?tid=572)

Pages: 1 2

Mental Illness - Mariotroid - 02-27-2018

This is a tough conversation for most people to have but I'd like to say something: I suffer a mental illness. I' not gonna be specific I'm just gonna say it' screwed up my early twenties and late teens like no tomorrow. It' an awful affliction wwich I don' wish on anyone... the best I can do is move past it and start heading towards progress on myself.

Does anyone here suffer mental illness or something similar? If so, talk about it. We're all here to support each other.

RE: Mental Illness - Saltman - 02-27-2018

Sorry to hear that. Could ask what mental illness but that isn't be very nice.

RE: Mental Illness - Yakibomb - 02-27-2018

On account of helping your cause Mariotroid, I decided to look up the definition of mental disorder as defined by the most recent DSM--or Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Came out with this article, citing that the definition for "mental disorder" in the DSM-5 is flawed because we cannot prove the existence of mental disorder. It said that we know birds and bees exist, but that does not prove the existence of a God that created them all and is a fraudulent leap. To continue with a quote from the article, "No one really doubts the phenomena of sadness and worry. But to call them symptoms of mental disorders is exactly the same kind of fraudulent leap." However, this information from the definition (which can be found in the article) only proves that the definition is flawed in the DSM-5.

I believe those with mental disorders have merit to their story, but mental disorders are a phenomena and no one can fully say whether it exists, unless they believe it does or does not. I believe there is no black and white here, only a gray area.

To tell a little about my story, I suffered from depression for a long time, and medication seemed to help me out. By my definition I have made progress with this mental disorder, therefore I accept the definition that it does exist, except in each own's way.

So, I stand by those that say they suffer from something like this, because it can be biological, by nature, or societal, by nurture, or by forces we can't fully comprehend or explain.

RE: Mental Illness - Mariotroid - 02-27-2018

I don't know why you'd say that the definition is flawed, then agree that mental disorders exist? I believe they exist wholeheartedly. Obviously, there are things you can do to combat the illness. Like sleeping and waking up at the right time, exercise, eating right and self improvement stuff but I am almost certain medication helps and that I suffer a disability.

RE: Mental Illness - Shadow Administrator Drei - 02-28-2018

not surprised vinny up'd the post that gives a nice out up to "you're just pretending" if need be. honestly yaki, you should probably not trust .com websites on these kinds of subjects, but actually look into the topic deeply. as if you were an academic. illnesses of the mind are very real and acknowledged. i take a serotonin reuptake to battle a recently developed anxiety, and it curbs my depression as well.

RE: Mental Illness - HylianDev - 02-28-2018

I think the article Yakibomb posted was trying to say something like "it's not a DISorder if that's how that person's brain naturally works". Or at least, I hope. It would be really dumb if a website as popular as Psychology Today was denying mental illness.

Also Drei, please try harder to obey rule 3.

RE: Mental Illness - Mariotroid - 02-28-2018

@Saltman i suffer from paranoia, delusions, ADHD and mood disorders. Its called schizoaffective like schizophrenia with a mood disorder.

RE: Mental Illness - Yakibomb - 02-28-2018

I'll be honest, this is a sensitive issue and I should have made it clearer on my standpoint of why I made that post.

I posted because it was an interesting fact I found in the official book on mental disorders, I have empathy for those that suffer mental illness, and I wanted to show my support.

I wanted to say, "The official definition of mental disorder is flawed, because it cannot be explained in such simple terms, such as a mental disorder can cause the symptoms of simple sadness, worry, or pain." It exists on a spectrum, like many other things in the psychology field, and that's why there is a whole field dedicated to it. It's not black and white, it's a gray area because people are all different.

I wanted to say this because I thought it would be again an interesting fact, that even those that write the books that most in the field go by (I think?) can't even define mental disorder correctly because it can't be defined since we as people are all different. Yes it exists, it's real, however people don't know the cause, whether it is biological, societal, something else or something we can't fully understand yet, therefore we can't make the conclusion that it wasn't naturally intended in the first place.

I hope that clears my point up. I'm not an academic. I don't want to argue. ;_;

(EDIT: I forgot to say, I discussed this with my Ma and we both agreed the definition part could've just been a footnote... I kept it, probably a mistake)

RE: Mental Illness - Hyper - 02-28-2018

I was diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD when I was in the 8th grade. I am usually the type who have a lot of awkward social situations. In a social situation where there is no one I know, I tend to be very anxious.

And not only that, I have gone through parents divorcement, skipping a grade, being actually sued, and witness someone’s death where I have no control.

In the end I may be flawed but I will keep my heads up and put my foot forward. I feel like there’s always a way to move on with life.

RE: Mental Illness - Shadow Administrator Drei - 02-28-2018

What were you sued for?! Glad you made it through all of that, though.

RE: Mental Illness - Hyper - 02-28-2018

(02-28-2018, 06:11 PM)GothGirlGangDrei Wrote: What were you sued for?! Glad you made it through all of that, though.

Thank you. Well it is a pretty big lawsuit over a car accident. Then plantiff requested me to pay $100k. Anyways I am enjoying what I have and appreciate things.

RE: Mental Illness - VinnyVideo - 03-01-2018

People flaming me in a topic about mental illness? Without me even posting? Y'all can do better than this. (I basically agree with Yakibomb's post, although the article he linked could've been better)

People with mental health problems are not just "pretending". Mental illness is a very real thing that should be taken seriously, and while there are steps you can take to make things better, it's usually not something that you can cure on your own.

However, mental "disorders" are very tricky to define. What statuses are normal and healthy? Which ones are not? And who gets to decide?

Obviously, if you can't get yourself out of bed in the morning, you're seeing or hearing things that other people aren't observing, or you're thinking about hurting yourself or others, you've got a problem that needs to be treated. However, many mental "disorders" (as defined by the DSM) are entirely subjective. Autism and ADHD have become common diagnoses, but are they disorders? Many extremely successful people, especially in the creative and scientific fields, are on the autism spectrum, and is ADHD really a disorder or just a natural adaptation to the modern environment?

I'm not a mental health expert. I don't know if I have any problems severe or well-defined enough to be diagnosed by a professional, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some internal challenges.

@Mariotroid @Hypernova I hope things are going better now.

RE: Mental Illness - Mariotroid - 03-02-2018

@VinnyVideo. My mental health is improving buy it' gotten a bit worse cause of my break up.

RE: Mental Illness - Friendly Dictator - 03-03-2018

autism isnt a mental illness or disorder, any more than, say, "introvert" or "extrovert" is a disorder

RE: Mental Illness - Kritter - 03-03-2018

Nevermind the fact that it's called "Autism Spectrum Disorder"

(03-03-2018, 06:45 PM)Kritter Wrote: Nevermind the fact that it's called "Autism Spectrum Disorder"

exactly, just like a guinea pig is a pig

RE: Mental Illness - Kritter - 03-03-2018

I'm not taking that bait.

autism is just a collection of personal attributes that society has deemed to be "outside the norm" and stigmatized

RE: Mental Illness - lunes - 03-07-2018

i can understand thinking that like autism and adhd aren't as serious of conditions as other mental illnesses, but they still make life difficult for the ppl who have them, even if those people are indeed successful. i have close friends who have both and i know very well how much it impacts their day to day life. their relative success doesn't negate that in the slightest

though i guess if you want to talk stuff that makes it insanely hard to function, i have borderline personality disorder which has deeply affected my life in numerous negative ways and made close connections to others difficult

RE: Mental Illness - HughesStewart - 01-13-2023

It takes a lot of courage to talk about mental illness, and I admire your willingness to share your experience.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.