MFGG Forums
What are your favorite Indie Games? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: What are your favorite Indie Games? (/showthread.php?tid=589)

What are your favorite Indie Games? - GStache - 03-01-2018

When I have nothing to play before new first party game releases, I like to find a couple indie games to play. I'm not huge on trying out the ones that don't get as much recognition but I still like trying out new genres by playing them. So here are some of my personal favorites (not in any specific order):

- Super Meat Boy
- Shantae & the Pirate's Curse
- The Binding of Isaac
- Hollow Knight
- Cuphead
- Terraria
- Enter the Gungeon
- Both Bit.Trip Runners
- The End is Nigh
- VVVVVV
- Celeste

What are your guys' favorites?

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - VinnyVideo - 03-01-2018

Most of the indie games I play are made by MFGGers! I shouldn't include indies made by MFGGers, as I'm sure I'll forget someone's awesome game and feel bad about myself. Even Terraria, the indie game I've logged the most hours on, was technically made by an MFGG member.

Also, Braid is an old favorite.

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - MC Jimmy - 03-01-2018

Incredipede is pretty silly and fun.

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - Vitiman - 03-01-2018

It's hard to believe Super Meat Boy is pushing a decade old now. I remember when that game first came out, and it was one of the most unique platforming experiences to ever come from anybody - it helps it was riding a "wave" of 2D platforming revival that has been slowly flowing onward ever since, albeit with far less strength than it once had. It's a shame that the most recent release of it removed the classic soundtrack by Danny B, but I heard that a sequel is in development so that's exciting!

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - Mariotroid - 03-02-2018

I really gotta play Super Meat Boy one of these days.

I also liked VVVVV. My favourite indie is Axiom Verge. It was trippy to play but a lot of fun. Next I will have to say I really like Shovel Knight. Lots of cool environments and perfectly scaled challenge. Definitely a gem.

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - Pedigree - 03-02-2018

Shovel Knight Spectre of Torment and Stardew Valley

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - Knuckles - 03-02-2018

I really liked everything about VA-11 Hall-A

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - Andy Journey - 03-02-2018

Just to mention games that haven't been mentioned:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Ziggurat
Superhot
Toki Tori 2
Ori and the Blind Forest
Limbo and Inside
Hotline Miami
Gravity Ghost
Pinstripe

Antichamber

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - Retriever II - 03-02-2018

I'm sure there's more that should make the list but...

- Ori and the Blind Forest
- Hollow Knight
- Ether One
- INFRA
- Antichamber
- FEZ
- Undertale

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - Yrr - 03-03-2018

off the top of my head:
-Cave Story (the original)
-Lyle in Cube Sector
-Bonesaw
-Hollow Knight
-Fez
-Hyper Light Drifter
-Celeste

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - Mario - 03-04-2018

been playing a lot of FTL lately and surprised it's not in this thread. Aside from the graphics it's one of the all around best games I've played. I guess it's kind of like that old Oregon Trail game but in space? It's really incredible and I don't think I've ever randomly picked up a game without knowing anything about it and have been wowed like this one before.

Super Meat Boy is probably my favorite platforming kind of game ever. The 'boss' battles aren't interesting and the overall presentation is horrible but damn it's just so fun to play. Celeste is pretty similar but I'd say the continous levels and additional abilities make it a bit less fun than Super Meat Boy- hoever the presentation of Celeste is just excellent and is worth it for that alone.

Cave Story is a classic that I remember learning about right here on MFGG back in the day way before it became a game you can buy. The modern versions aren't really improvements but I can't really blame anyone for trying to make the big Bucks on such a great game.

Fez is a really fun and interesting experience. If you're looking for a game with a lot of Action this isn't for you but if you want to explore and solve weird puzzles it should be right up your alley.

Shovel Knight is one of the most all-around well put together games I've played, but I just feel like it's missing something? I'm not quite sure what because it's a damn good game.

VVVVVV is really enjoyable, and I love the simplicity of it all. A pretty similar game that's free on steam is You Have to Win The Game which I found pretty fun if you haven't checked it out.

The Shantae games are indeed great (though the original is a bit too difficult for me) and out of the latest three they each get better and better with my favorite being Half-Genie Hero.

I had a blast playing Cortex Command years ago. It has a really interesting engine. Unfortunately the game still feels incomplete even to this day, but it's got a fun enough base concept where you could get some serious fun out of it; though I recommend getting it at a discount because it's just not worth the $20 as-is.

Eversion is seriously good. Pretty short and simple, but I'd say its worth the $5 you can grab it on steam. If that's too steep for you, the original free version is stll online right here. The paid version doesn't add much but for $5 I'd say it's absolutely worth it.

I had fun with Gone Home, it's a game where you explore a house during a storm. Much like Fez, if you're looking for an action game this isn't it, but it's fun to have these kind of explore-y games too.

Hotline Miami is seriously violent but seriously fun as well. It gives me Super Meat Boy vibes with how quickly you die and how quickly you get right back into it.

Minecraft is worth a mention although it's not Indie anymore. It's not that much different from when it was originally released though- there's more content and it's on more platforms but the core game is still the same. It's actually kind of a bummer as I think beyond the building aspect the game isn't too well designed and I was hoping a big team would flesh it out a bit more... but it's still pretty fun. Terraria is like a 2D platformer approach to the Minecraft concept and while it's a lot weaker on the building aspect the other aspects of the game are definitely improved and it's worth checking out for that.

oh and there's Undertale. I wouldn't say it's this absolutely amazing game but it's worth your time if you're into an unconventional RPG- it's like EarthBound but an interesting battle system. It does some Meta kinda stuff and Judges you as a player so be warned for that.

I own a bunch of other indie games I haven't really touched at all; hopefully I get to playing them sometime.

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - Friendly Dictator - 03-04-2018

vvvvvv is honestly one of my favourite games ever

one game that i really loved that i don't think has been mentioned here yet is owlboy. really beautiful game, and, to me at least, it's one of those games where even just moving around is fun. also any game where you're a bird is automatically good

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - Shadow Administrator Drei - 03-04-2018

Shovel Knight
Hollow Knight
An Untitled Story
Cave Story
Knytt
Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight
Sky Rogue
Tower of Heaven
Kero Blaster
Space Station 13
Dwarf Fortress

RE: What are your favorite Indie Games? - Mario - 03-04-2018

Damn, Dwarf Fortress. I don't know if I'll ever play it but that game is just legendary. I had a friend who used to share his tales of playing it all the time and the things that could happen in that game years ago were just incredible. I can't imagine how advanced it is now; maybe five or even ten years ago I remember hearing that the characters had individually programmed organs.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.