MFGG Forums
Art disprogression - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Art disprogression (/showthread.php?tid=590)

Art disprogression - Mariotroid - 03-02-2018

So recently due to my personal life ive gotten into a funk of not being able to draw as often or as well. (Or should I say I haven't had the motivation to. As a result, my art has hindered substantially. It's an awful affliction and I really want to progress. 

Do any of you suffer this problem? Like I take a 4 day off break and my art skills become worse. It's awful.

How do you stay motivated when you know you'e declined?

I went from drawing like this
[Image: CyZrvQN.png]
To drawing like this cause of no practice
[Image: yTolV9N.jpg]

RE: Art disprogression - GamerInGeorgia - 03-02-2018

I've also had this problem a few times. One day I'm drawing things that look good, the next I'm struggling to draw something that at least looks decent. To me, the declining of my art is a motivator. I want to not only get back to my normal standard, but to an even greater level. It's sort of a "competing against myself" kind of thing. If you just keep doodling, drawing, and working on your artistic ability, then you'll find yourself climbing up the ladder again.

Or, maybe, the problem isn't that you're art skills are declining. Rather it's just you're having trouble drawing certain objects. For that, there's a whole world of pictures for you to use as a reference. It seems to me that your forte is drawing more realistic things than cartoon-y things. But who knows. Maybe you were just having an off-day. It happens to everyone. I hope this helps and you can get back to drawing amazing things again soon.

RE: Art disprogression - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-02-2018

The first one is a portrait while the second is a full illustration so it could just be that you've not had a lot of practice with how you handle full scenes. Full scenes often require more planning, so maybe you just have to take a slower and be more intentional with the line weight and the scratchiness of strokes to show differentiation between objects/characters.

I think not being in a good place mentally can also have a negative effect on artwork. I know when I'm stressed or tired I create work that doesn't live up to what I know I can do, which just adds to the frustration. It helps me to relax and go from doing artwork I really care about to doing observational work that, even if it turns out bad, I know is just for practice and to clear my mind. Some of my friends have tried guided meditation and say it helps a lot, though I've not tried that. This is also a good reason to not procrastinate if you have deadlines for your artwork since trying to cram a lot of work will lead to stress and tiredness, which will negatively impact the work.

RE: Art disprogression - VinnyVideo - 03-02-2018

I think I know what you mean. I've had extremely little motivation to do artistic things for the past several years. If I applied myself, I could probably do better than I did in the past, since I now have a better grasp of lighting, anatomy, and such. However, going years while barely making any art is probably a good way to lose some of the "progress" I made.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.