MFGG Forums
Work environment (like coffee shops) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Work environment (like coffee shops) (/showthread.php?tid=591)

Pages: 1 2

Work environment (like coffee shops) - Mariotroid - 03-02-2018

Ok so I have a question. I've been slowly getting slower with my game development and I've decided I'm going to do something to fix that: work at a coffee shop. I really want to start doing this. I have drawn at coffee shops before. I' wondering if anyone here' has tried this approach. I think it's a good method as you'e around busy hard workers all day. What are your thoughts?

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Syaxamaphone - 03-02-2018

The best part about working in public is that I can't get distracted by twitter and stuff because I follow too many nsfw accounts.

Every Sunday I usually set up my laptop for a few hours at my local McD to get some work done and catch up with old coworkers. It's not the biggest productivity boost tbh but its a nice change of pace (they also have food).

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - VinnyVideo - 03-02-2018

Sometimes I've worked on stuff in my college's cafeteria. It can be loud and busy, and occasionally I'll bug people I know, but it's nice because I think I'm so famous and important that everybody will be watching what I'm doing, and therefore I have to be doing something valuable like making games, sending e-mail, or working on team projects. Plus, food exists there.

I don't follow anything too questionable on social media, but I'm still a little shy about checking Discord, Twitter, or Facebook or MFGG in public.

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Mariotroid - 03-02-2018

@VinnyVideo I don't know why you wouldn't check those sites. A lot of people check Facebook, Twitter, etc. In my works lunchroom.

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Saltman - 03-02-2018

You kidding right?

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would laugh like hell at me if I made a Mario fangame or sprite in public.

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Kritter - 03-02-2018

You just pick a corner where nobody can see your screen. It's actually not a bad idea if you're trying to treat game development more like a "job". It's easy to get distracted or take breaks when you're at home in your comfort zone, but put yourself in a busy environment in a relatively quiet corner with headphones and a task at hand, and you're probably far more likely to stay on track with what you're doing.

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Vitiman - 03-02-2018

(03-02-2018, 08:22 PM)Saltman Wrote: You kidding right?

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would laugh like hell at me if I made a Mario fangame or sprite in public.

Actually, I'm pretty sure nobody cares what you do in public and you probably won't get anyone even looking at your computer screen for longer than a second. Think about it: when was the last time you walked up to somebody working on a laptop in public and made some remark about what they're doing?

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Syaxamaphone - 03-03-2018

Can confirm that I look at people's screens and silently judge everything and anything I can.

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - VinnyVideo - 03-03-2018

@Mariotroid I guess I'm a little more self-conscious when I'm in public. Even if I'm not "on duty", I have to make my friends, classmates, co-workers, the people I help teach, and total strangers think I'm busy doing Super-Important Useful Things instead of looking at corny Twitter memes! (Excel, Notepad, and Game Maker look significantly more Super-Important than most social networking sites).

@Kritter I agree! When I want to get work done, sometimes I'll park myself in the corner and work away for an hour or two. This strategy can be very effective. I used to make the mistake of choosing a corner next to the vending machines, so that area could attract a lot of people and distractions. I know better now.

@Vitiman I usually don't pay much attention to what other people are doing on their computers. However, if I see someone emulating GBA Fire Emblem games, I'm definitely going to come over and see what they're doing - and compliment their exquisite taste in video games.

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Saltman - 03-04-2018

(03-02-2018, 08:32 PM)Vitiman Wrote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure nobody cares what you do in public and you probably won't get anyone even looking at your computer screen for longer than a second. Think about it: when was the last time you walked up to somebody working on a laptop in public and made some remark about what they're doing?

Idk dude for me doing that would be the same as wearing a Mario custom in the street. I just wouldn't do it.

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Vitiman - 03-04-2018

Wait, you wouldn't wear a Mario costume on the street?

Pfft, and you call yourself a Nintendo fan...

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Mario - 03-04-2018

Try out your local library if possible. A lot of them are pretty well equipped for just sitting there and working in peace.

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Saltman - 03-04-2018

(03-04-2018, 07:09 AM)Vitiman Wrote: Wait, you wouldn't wear a Mario costume on the street?

Pfft, and you call yourself a Nintendo fan...

Well I never said I was one.

Hey, I don't think you do the craziest Nintendo-esque things possible in real life either.

Do you go out to the street wearing a SMW Dolphin costume for example?

You can be a Nintendo fan, but are you a true nintendo fan?

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Pedigree - 03-07-2018

I personally get self conscious and am more distracted in a public environment, so sadly this method doesn't work for me.

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Zero Kirby - 03-07-2018

I've considered starting streaming my work in Game Maker in the hopes that talking about it in a streaming environment, along with it actually being necessary as such to stay on track, would help me, well, stay on track.

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Action Lemon - 03-07-2018

(03-03-2018, 09:36 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: If I see someone emulating GBA Fire Emblem games, I'm definitely going to come over and see what they're doing - and compliment their exquisite taste in video games.

If I saw that, I would call 911 and report them for them for piracy. Catch them in the act, you know what I'm saying? #snitchgang

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - VinnyVideo - 03-08-2018

@Action Lemon Actually, when I see people emulating the GBA, I wear what they're wearing, and as soon as I put on my pirate regalia, the best modern-era movie theme song always starts playing.

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F...b23j4w.jpg]

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Nessa - 03-28-2018

then they go home and eat laundrysoap on camera

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-28-2018

@VinnyVideo I was going to 1up your post for Pirates of the Caribbean, but then I'd also be giving a 1up to that picture from one of the sequels.

RE: Work environment (like coffee shops) - VinnyVideo - 03-28-2018

@Nessa That is a good point. It's very possible that people who say stupid things (making fun of people for making games) also do stupid things!

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.