MFGG Forums
WIP I Bestow My Wish Unto You... Mushroom Soup - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: WIP I Bestow My Wish Unto You... Mushroom Soup (/showthread.php?tid=592)

Pages: 1 2

I Bestow My Wish Unto You... Mushroom Soup - Yakibomb - 03-02-2018

"Before there was the Mushroom Kingdom...
There was the Mushroom Soup."

[Image: Title_May_Mushroom_Soup.png]

I Bestow My Wish Unto You... Mushroom Soup is a creation story that tries to explain the beginning of what we know to be the Mushroom Kingdom and the world around it.

You control Toadjama, a being whose sole purpose is to heal. Your task is to chart different beings' worlds to identify lessons Toadjama wants to see in the new world--The Mushroom World.

In Toadjama's current state, he cannot create any world without these different lessons that are based on seven other warriors from other worlds. Toadjama seeks to create a dream--A single "memory"--that will serve to drive the spirituality of all other inhabitants of the new world.

Toadjama will be forgotten... but the ideas that make up the Mushroom Soup will live on in the minds, bodies and spirits of the new world...

"Do not hesitate to listen to the inner voice.
 It is telling you a great deal more than you can by listening, seeing or touching."

Toadjama talks to his inner council, which is based off a Mushroom, a Flower, and a Star, respectively.
  • Mushra, represented by his body, fire and activity,
  • Flora, represented by his mind, water and wisdom,
  • Starma, represented by his spirit, light and child-like creativity,
It is these three that Toadjama consults for solutions to the problems ahead.

These are the warriors from the other worlds that Toadjama will create lessons of:
  1. Podoboo - Action Oriented. The embodiment of pure fire, stimulates activity.
  2. Big Boo - Free-Spirited. A literal spirit whose playful nature is, shall I say, haunting.
  3. Koopa Paratroopa - Adventurous. A winged turtle whose sense of adventure is limitless.
  4. Cheep-Cheep - Kinship. The name "Cheep-Cheep" is bound by twine. So-are-these-words.
  5. ??? - Growth and Development.
  6. ??? - Purpose and Direction.
  7. ??? - It's a secret to everybody.

DEVELOPMENT

Please look through the thread for updates. Updates come in the forms of posts in this thread and through my Twitter account (see signature).

A new enemy, unnamed:
[Image: animation.266.Mold.00-2.png]

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - GamerInGeorgia - 03-02-2018

Looks nice! The title screen is gorgeous. Toadjam's reflection looks perfect. Keep up the good work!
About the oil ailment, in my opinion, it should make you faster (since it's slick and reduces friction), but causes you to miss your attacks often (since you slip and fall because of the oil). Also, are you going to add to Toadjam's character design? Or are you having him be a plain old toad on purpose?

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - VinnyVideo - 03-02-2018

I'm looking forward to this! The P-Gauge mechanic sounds cool - I like the idea of a system that does away with the need for items that refill FP/MP. Unique status conditions are fun, too.

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - Yakibomb - 03-05-2018

(03-02-2018, 11:03 AM)GamerInGeorgia Wrote: Looks nice! The title screen is gorgeous. Toadjam's reflection looks perfect. Keep up the good work!
About the oil ailment, in my opinion, it should make you faster (since it's slick and reduces friction), but causes you to miss your attacks often (since you slip and fall because of the oil). Also, are you going to add to Toadjam's character design? Or are you having him be a plain old toad on purpose?
Thanks Gamer! Other Big Brin

About oil, I understand where you're coming from. It originally started as a Blind ailment, where the character only lost accuracy. I was hoping the same effect could be imagined if you're covered with oil, but maybe I was thinking it would be more like ink? Maybe a name change could be in order...

About Toadjam's character design, I don't know if I'm going to add to it. I was planning to only change his color scheme, but the normal Toad is fine too. "Toadjam" might be temporary too, depending on where I want the story to go. As of yet it's all undecided!

(03-02-2018, 07:19 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: I'm looking forward to this! The P-Gauge mechanic sounds cool - I like the idea of a system that does away with the need for items that refill FP/MP. Unique status conditions are fun, too.
Thanks Vinny!  Other Big Brin

There is also going to be a "Sick" ailment. Sick will do the same thing as Fear did, which was lower all stats. Depending on how things look in the future I might combine Sick and Poison to add another ailment, because there can only be 8 ailments (because of how the game is programmed!) and I don't feel like changing the number.
All To be Determined.

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - Pedigree - 03-07-2018

Looks and sounds interesting, though personally I'm not a huge fan of the base game for this hack. Maybe I'll give it a try all the same when it becomes available though.

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - Yakibomb - 03-07-2018

(03-07-2018, 05:51 AM)Pedigree Wrote: Looks and sounds interesting, though personally I'm not a huge fan of the base game for this hack. Maybe I'll give it a try all the same when it becomes available though.

Thanks Pedigree! Other Big Brin Can you be more specific what you're not a fan of about the base game?

It is funny because I changed the base stats before you mentioned this, so in a way I agreed. I disliked the idea of having two stats for damage (Power and Talent), and two stats for healing (Talent and Spirit), so I combined Talent with Spirit to be just Spirit. Also I re-added Defense. The stats now are:

Power - For raw physical damage.
Spirit - For magic damage, and recovery of HP based on the number. Additionally reduces Poison damage...
Agility - Affects turn order, and accuracy/evade chance.
Luck - Increases crit chance, item freebie chance, and flower bonuses for defeating monsters.
Defense - Reduces all damage by a flat amount (and doubled when hit by criticals).
HP (Current/Max) - Defensive stat

I guess there is no real way to know if these will work without doing some testing, so these might do for now.

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-07-2018

This looks really neat. Toad has always been one of my favorite Mario characters, so it’s nice to see him getting some love. Can’t wait to try some delectable shroom soup Wink

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - DustinVG - 03-07-2018

Heh, nice, you don't see SMRPG hacks around much.

The P-Meter system sounds cool but I'm also not sure how satisfying it'd be in practice. Might be one of those things I'd just have to try, though.

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - Toonwriter - 03-08-2018

Very interesting! I sure wouldn't mind knowing who all the party members of this hack are, along with the main villains.

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - Yakibomb - 04-01-2018

(03-07-2018, 12:10 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: This looks really neat. Toad has always been one of my favorite Mario characters, so it’s nice to see him getting some love. Can’t wait to try some delectable shroom soup Wink
Thanks. I hope to eat some Mushroom Soup some time as well! Big Grin

(03-07-2018, 07:19 PM)Dustinvgmaster Wrote: Heh, nice, you don't see SMRPG hacks around much.

The P-Meter system sounds cool but I'm also not sure how satisfying it'd be in practice. Might be one of those things I'd just have to try, though.
Thanks. The P-Gauge/Meter thing is still an unknown to me. I really hope it works.

(03-08-2018, 11:33 PM)Toonwriter Wrote: Very interesting! I sure wouldn't mind knowing who all the party members of this hack are, along with the main villains.
Thanks. I would love to tell you, but I have uncertain myself as to who or what they'll be. Whoops! I will keep it in mind to post something when I finalize them.

Bonus: I gotta vidyo and a some screens.
[Image: Mushroom%2BSoup%2BMAR-21-18.png] [Image: Mushroom%2BSoup%2BMAR-27-18.png]
[Image: Mushroom%2BSoup%2BMAR-28-18.png] [Image: Mushroom%2BSoup%2BAPR-1-18.png]

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - VinnyVideo - 04-01-2018

I'm digging that Kirbyized SMRPG.

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - Evil Yoshi Toes - 04-01-2018

Really great work, it looks so cute. This makes me want to finally finish SMRPG.

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - littlelum - 04-03-2018

The battle screen looks awesome!

RE: Mushroom Soup (Super Mario RPG hack) - Yakibomb - 04-18-2018

I recently revised the P-gauge meter.

What the P-Gauge Meter Does Now: P-Gauge is basically your FP meter for special attacks. Each character gets their own. It is reset at the beginning of each battle, for all characters.
There are only certain ways you can fill it up: By timing an attack, or by timing a defense.
What makes this interesting: If by chance you miss a timing, your P-Gauge will begin to fade for one turn, then completely vanish if you let it. It'll constantly refresh if you keep timing your hits and defenses!

[Image: 4-17-18%2BMushroom%2BSoup%2BP-Gauge.png]
Frame 1 (leftmost) shows P-Gauge when it is stable. This takes two turns to decay.
Frame 2 (center) shows P-Gauge when it about to fade away. One turn left!
Frame 3 (rightmost) shows that the P-Gauge has completely vanished! Oh no!

I'm not sure what max P-Gauge will allow, if anything. It might just be a special attack, but who knows. Time will tell. Also I have no idea if this will be fun/challenging/satisfying/etc but Blank yeah I'll test it later.

RE: I Bestow My Wish Unto You... Mushroom Soup (A Mario-style Creation Story) - Yakibomb - 05-14-2018

Not much of an update, but this project is not dead... It's just back to the drawing board.

I revised the story (again) and now I'll say it's official that I am done rewriting the general idea of this story. What is the story now, and forever will be for this game? More info in the Opening Post.

I took the opportunity to set up a Twitter account for the game! You can find that in my signature.

And thank you for your patience.

RE: I Bestow My Wish Unto You... Mushroom Soup (A Mario-style Creation Story) - VinnyVideo - 05-14-2018

I like the way you're putting a Mario twist on the "x number of ancient warriors" RPG trope. This'll be fun.

RE: I Bestow My Wish Unto You... Mushroom Soup (A Mario-style Creation Story) - GamerInGeorgia - 05-14-2018

I like the new story! It's mysterious and intriguing... Can't wait to see more as you go along!

RE: I Bestow My Wish Unto You... Mushroom Soup (A Mario-style Creation Story) - YoshisIsland3 - 05-14-2018

Looking back at this, this story reminds me of Sonic and the Secret Rings in a way.  Thumbs Up

RE: I Bestow My Wish Unto You... Mushroom Soup (A Mario-style Creation Story) - DustinVG - 05-18-2018

I mean, it's safe to say this is the first time I've heard of a Mario creation story.

RE: I Bestow My Wish Unto You... Mushroom Soup (A Mario-style Creation Story) - Yakibomb - 05-22-2018

@GamerInGeorgia Thank you! That's exactly the description I hope to achieve.

@YoshisIsland3 Thanks! I read the summary of the story on Wikipedia and I don't know how the game relates to mine at all.  Huh? Sorry!

@Dustinvgmaster Thank you. Not sure what to say except yes I agree! Smile

So here's a quick update. It's just a level concept. 

It's a Fire Land. Can't identify anything else besides that.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.